Can RAA Aircraft Use VFR Corridors and Routes Through C Airspace?

Flying in CTR is not rocket science. You just need some training and a transponder. The BS about the requirement of having certified instruments, aircraft and RPL/PPL in class D and at the stroke of the clock the exact same airspace reverts to Class G & any RAA aircraft, factory or amateur built with a RPC pilot is legal is laughable. Same as ASIC, a knee jerk reaction to 911. I don't know of anywhere else in the world that you need this extra bit of ridiculous security.

The various rule makers involved in this debacle obviously cannot see the irony in what they have created. A set of rules, if based on safety, indicate it’s safer to fly an RAAus aircraft without ATS involvement. Take the various metro Class D airports, it’s ok to fly your RAAus aircraft when the tower is closed, but not when it’s active.

At Camden you have pilots flying gliders during tower operations who do not hold any GA quals or medical certificate. It’s absolute bureaucratic BS.

Camden could be used in a trial to allow RAAus RPC holders to operate subject to the same conditions as the GFA members.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

In short - YES THEY CAN - legalities are clearly totally scrambled, with quite a bit of subjective assessment on a case by case basis (aircraft/engine type & pilot qualifications). So RAA pilots are always taking a, hopefully small, legal risk when they access the variose light aircraft lanes of entry - this may also apply to several towered airfields where RAA aircraft are operating sort of "under the radar". As someone pointed out - as long as you look (transponder), follow the published manoeuvring rules and sound (radio comms) legit, ATC doesnt care

The only half consist ant requirement seems to be carriage of transceiver/transponder.

So long as you have a radio and use correct phraseology with accurate position reporting and advise in your request that you do not have a transponder, so long as there is little traffic they will see you on the radar and let you through.

You can fly through East Sales airspace through D353 and the coastal route without contacting the RAAF just read up on the procedure and don’t bust the height restriction

Oh and BTW wave to me at West Sale as you go past 8nm away while transiting D353 as we are happily stuck on the ground not allowed to take off while the airspace is active.

CASA are R soles and the RAA are happy to take our full membership and registration fees while we get to fly 2 days out of 7 while others have the choice of 7 out of 7 if they so desire.

Not fair

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You need a CASA Part 61 license.

A RAA certificate holder can get a Part 61 RPL by filling in an application form and completing a GA flight review. You can cover CTA in the flight review. I believe that flight review will also count as your RAA flight review.

You need a medical but it is not more onerous than required for a PPL to fly in CTA.

There are also conditions on the aircraft (see CAO 95.55), but from a license point of view an endorsement is simple and available.

Also, a Transponder is not mandatory in Class D airspace, but if you have one aboard, it must be serviceable and calibrated.

You need a CASA Part 61 license.

A RAA certificate holder can get a Part 61 RPL by filling in an application form and completing a GA flight review. You can cover CTA in the flight review. I believe that flight review will also count as your RAA flight review.

You need a medical but it is not more onerous than required for a PPL to fly in CTA.

There are also conditions on the aircraft (see CAO 95.55), but from a license point of view an endorsement is simple and available.

I'm going through this process right now. Fair bit of paperwork involved and can be difficult to get the complete picture of exactly which docs are required. 5 hours now in a Warrior (most of my RPC flying has been in a Jabiru J230) and finding it reasonably easy to convert. Interaction with ATC is something that I have found chews into brain cycles while learning the new plane. Great fun if you want to have a new challenge beyond the RPC.

Conversing with controllers can be a very relaxing or tense experience depending on you and the controllers rapport. I started my training in GA at a controlled airport with a lot of RPT including international. It was all a bit daunting and confusing to start with, trying to fly the plane listen to the instructor and communicate with ATC all at the same time. The best thing I did was go up to the tower and watch what they did & have a yarn to the controllers. It not only gives you a good idea of what they do and how they manage to keep track of a whole heap of RPT, privateers, students and internationals at the same time but you realise that they too are human.

Later after you know who you are talking to the process all of a sudden just seems to become normal and the pressure you once felt disappears. I knew all of the controllers as they mostly popped in to the Aero club bar for a beer before going home after their shift. I still keep in touch with a couple via facebook after more than 30 years. You can get the odd officious or grumpy controller but making an effort to meet and talk to them may make all the difference.

• Like 3

The VFR corridor is not controlled airspace as long as you are below LL, 1500” I think. J

VFR corridor "ceilings" vary - some do not give much in the way of terrain clearance/ margin for emergency response - while others allow for a bit more "comfort".