It might buff out ...

kasper

I'd have to say the secret here, was hitting hay bales in a stack. Great impact absorption, and the reason they're used for spectator protection in road racing. Even so, the pilot is very lucky a fire didn't start.

2 hours ago, old man emu said:

Calls for an investigation of the location of the flap lever. This is a fine example of Murphy's Law.

Yep, bit of a puzzle how that could happen.

There have been incidents where the flap handle wasn't properly latched, what usually happens then is the flaps jump to 0deg, not the other way.

To avoid the resulting sinking feeling, I have been reliably advised (by at least two sources) to always wiggle the handle after setting the flaps.

22 minutes ago, old man emu said:

No control should be located in a position that can result in its being unintentionally operated, or unreachable by the operator. That's just simple ergonomic design.

Agree for the most part but there are always exceptions where unintended operation of some controls is unavoidable because you cannot design it out of the aircraft.

For example the hand throttle for a two seat weightshift trike is near impossible to design as a single throttle for both front/rear seat access and you have to make a decision on which of the two throttles overrides foot or hand.  Most have a reasonable compromise of either being able to override to open throttle but not close and the single hand throttle is at risk of inadvertant knocks just because it has to be in the at risk location to be effective for access to both.

As others have noted, the article (and also the accident report) says he felt the left wing stalling, so applied left rudder. I wonder if this was incorrectly reported and written up, as no comment is made on it in the report.