Flight simulator program?

Ferris

Ian, where do you find the time to fit all this in as well as run the site, with all the upgrades that you've been doing. Do you have some way to extend time and thus create a 48 hour day?

Ian, where do you find the time to fit all this in as well as run the site, with all the upgrades that you've been doing. Do you have some way to extend time and thus create a 48 hour day?

I can do the work of 3 people as my 3 friends are always helping me out - Caffeine, Codeine and Nicotine 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif - plus throw in a daily high dose of steroids (anti rejection drugs) and you have a cocktail that you don't need an aircraft to be able to fly. At one stage I was on 24 steroid tablets a day (they don't make them strong enough legally for less dosage) and I honestly did not close my eyes for 4 days and 3 nights and then I went 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif - please note I always know when to ground myself 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Guest Decca

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif Very funny response Ian. But seriously, who's gonna run the show when you go to that recovery centre with the men in white coats for 6 weeks???

Decca:cool:.

Guest Decca

Too true, it is a common theme now you mention it. Take it easy anyway, we don't want to see you in rehab drying out.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Regards, Decca.

Just wondering whether I could install windows and all the updates but just not the graphics drivers to get a head start - I just want to keep it completely clean. It is very hard to take ALL the nVidia stuff off again as the nVidia uninstall doesn't remove everything.

For my money, I wouldn´t. You are likely to get a different result with a clean install with the hardware present than you will get with an add on install.

Windows 32bit versus 64bit

- As long as you have all the updates there is no difference

- 64bit will make use of all the ram that you have whereas 32bit is limited to about 3.5gig

- FS11 the next version of FS may possibly only be 64bit

- All the drivers that I need have 64bit options

Theoretically, as long as the OS is updated and the programs are likewise then things should all work OK. No difference is again theoretically true but not necessarily the same.

The ¨make use of¨ is not strictly true. The 32 bit address space is 4.2*10**9 (4.2 times 10 to the 9 or 4.2 Gb) Sorry for the hieroglyphics but perhaps the next set of numbers will show why. The 64 bit address space is 1.8*10**19. Thatś not quite all the RAM you can get but it is a LOT. :)

If the program is written around 64 bit and you have the 64 bit drivers for all your hardware then go for it.

Single, Duo or Quad Core Processors

- FSX will use all available cores but will not spread the load across all channels but rather use one channel until it is full and then go to the next channel and so on

- Addons may end up using the other channels of the processor

What cores are used and how the load is apportioned should be under the control of the BIOS (chipset), not the program. For a program to bypass the BIOS it has to work at a very low level (low as in specific hardware) and is not very portable. Unlikely for a widely distributed program such as FS.

X48 Chipset Motherboard*

- This is very new and not all the bugs have been ironed out yet

- This chipset being new will be around for a few years

Probably both true. But it has been around for a while (weeks at least, which for some of us is right now but for these systems is eons). Google it and see. If there are major disasters it will be apparent already.

* It was suggested to me to take the DDR3 Ram and the X48 Chipset Motherboard back and get a good DDR2 Motherboard and Ram as I will be able to overclock the ram and Processor but I won't be able to overclock the DDR3 Ram and the E8500 Processor.

Now I don't know why I would not be able to overclock the DDR3 and the E8500 as in my setup, I should be able to - any comments on this?

Neither do I. Or, if you can´t now, wait until next week or next month or whatever

The end result I want is to have all settings maxed out, get the best graphics for realism and at the busiest airports with AI set at say 90% to get an absolute minimum 25fps in full screen VC

And good luck to you my son! I would really like to see three screens powered by that sort of grunt. Fantastic.

The only sad part about it is that, probably five minutes before you switch it on, there will be something just that little bit faster. Bummer! 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

Cheers. Selwyn.

• 11 months later...
Ok, now you've got me - as I now have both versions of Vista 32bit and 64bit which one should I use - all drivers I need have 64bit versions so no problem there - it is rumoured that FS11 will be 64bit only.

Good luck with that one Ian!

Microsoft closed ACES studios ( MS' in house game dev studio) a month or so ago and laid off 5000 + bods that worked there.

That means that there is no FS11 in the pipeline from MS at the moment and won't be in the foreseeable future!

Although MS have given the usual 'blow softening spiel' about remaining committed to the product, how one does that when you get rid of the product's dev team is a little beyond me!

It will be interesting to see whether any of the other game dev studios come up with somethig to fill the gap

Have a read here

Microsoft closes Aces Game Studio // News

flight sim aircraft

Has anyone got/seen/heard of any ultralight aircraft for the flight sim...?

I've currently got the Trike, and Sportstar etc... but was sort of chasing something like a Drifter/Jabiru/Thruster... have any of those types been designed at all, and if so where would I look to get them?

Thanks,

Guest Brett Campany

Great links LJS!! I'll get a post going very soon with all of the recommended links and aircraft for flight simming so it'll be easier to find add on aircraft!

Will be doing some Flight sim testing of aircraft and scenery as well.

The wife and I have just moved into a new house so as soon as we're settled we'll be back on the ball with it all!

Yes, Thanks a lot for that LJS...:thumb_up

Just a question for someone that knows how to do it.... How do you add the new aircraft? I've copyed the folder into SimObjects/Aircraft But it doesn't seem to show in the aircraft selection when trying to choose them, or if it does have it, it's with a big ? mark and no picture, they do seem to work if you click on them, but either without sound or instruments etc... so I'm not real sure what to do:blush:

It's FS-X Deluxe version, and I've put service pack 1 on it as well.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Guest Brett Campany

Tomo, check out Service Pack 2 on the Microsoft website and download that. There should also be a "Read Me" file in the aircraft download, that should gie you all the required instructions. Failing that, when I get home from work tonight, I'll check them out and put instructions up here.

• 2 years later...
Can you use msfltsX on win7 64 bit as my el cheapo is preloaded.I have a new win 7 premiumhome pack as a spare.

Next question "what is a home page"( for the admin info)

cheers Bryan

G'day Bryan,

First answer - yep, I've been using FSX on Windows 7 64bit since I discovered one important benefit: it addresses far more memory than the 32bit version. For example, if you have 4GB RAM in a 32bit version of Windows, it only recognises 3.5GB of it. Windows 7 64bit sees up to 256GB of RAM (I think, but it is a crazy high number).

You say it's an "el-cheapo" machine? Not sure of your enthusiasm level for FSX, but el-cheapo machines may not make the grade to run FSX at a good pace.

Sorry, second question I don't quite understand.

Cheers,

I spend probably a bit too much time on FSX, I don't really use it to 'practice' my flying skills really but it is more the ability to fly things that I will never get the chance to fly in real life or if I did would only be able to afford it once or twice (Such as piston twins and turbines). It is useful to practice flight procedures as well, such as joining the circuit at a non-towered aerodromes.

The thing that FSX likes the most I think is RAM. I use a computer which has a quad core processor, great graphics card and only 4GB RAM and it struggles to even render cloud cover without dropping to like 5 frames per second (Jumpy as all hell), and when I do play it heats up like crazy trying to cope. For an older game FSX is extremely resource intensive.

G'day Jake,

I don't consider myself an expert in the field, but from my research and experience with building a decent FSX capable machine, I've learned that there are four main components that make FSX run well...

1. The thing that FSX craves most is CPU power and speed... A quad core overclocked to at least 4GHz will make FSX run smoother because it can now calculate and present innumerable variables of data at a near real-time pace. Weather data, air traffic location data, your aircraft systems, it's behaviour in flight... You get the picture.

2. Next in line of importance is a somewhat high-end graphics card with a large amount of VRAM. 1GB or more of VRAM makes a massive difference in terms of FPS and the prettiness of the scenery.

3. Then, it's sufficient high-speed, low latency RAM. 4GB seems to be the sweet spot. More than that makes less of a difference than an upgrade from 2 or 3GB to 4GB.

4. Finally, a fairly good HDD with good read/write speeds. Most 7400rpm and just about any 10,000rpm HDD's are ideal.

However, that's just the foundation. Every PC build is different. Everybody has their own preference in terms of how they build up their PC and maintain it.

There's lots of information and resources out there. It's just a matter of taking the time to take it in and experiment. Oh, and spend a fair bit of money on hardware and a bit of software!

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see something for the Xbox 360. I have tried PC based sims, and don't really like sitting in front of the computer any more than I have to, and don't really want to have to buy a bunch of gear (because using the keyboard sucks). Now, if you have ever played (eg) Forza Motorsport III, you will know that they are more than capable of terrific graphics and simulating every aspect of a wide range of cars/tracks/etc. So it can be done.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

thanks guys, next dumb question (must be getting old(er))how to upload pics, 1,2 megs are to big, so what is the size limit,

tried search but did'nt get anywere .

cheers Bryan

Bryan, search and download "Image Converter Plus", it's free and enables you to resize images to whatever you want. I generally set them to 800 x 600. Just play with it and you'll be right.

I would like to see something for the Xbox 360. I have tried PC based sims, and don't really like sitting in front of the computer any more than I have to, and don't really want to have to buy a bunch of gear (because using the keyboard sucks). Now, if you have ever played (eg) Forza Motorsport III, you will know that they are more than capable of terrific graphics and simulating every aspect of a wide range of cars/tracks/etc. So it can be done.Thoughts?

No comparison unfortunately. The XBox 360 and PS3 are so far behind the PC in terms of raw processing and graphics (memory and texture bandwidth being big culprits). The flying games on consoles have to use various graphics "cheats" in order to render the pretty graphics that they do, but it is far from the amount of data that gets rendered for flight simulators on the PC. Racing games have VERY small enviroments that in most cases are designed by the developers and optimised for good performance. Most flight simulators can display third party custom scenery, and has to inteprate and display anything from vector data for roads, powerlines, rivers and coastlines, land-use data and huge texture sets to cover the landscape, buildings, objects etc.

Even if the next generation consoles will provide the required horsepower to run a flight simulator, there are not that many developers who will risk developing for that platform as the return on investment for flight sims is probably too low compared to racing and action titles. It could very well be that something like MS Flight could probably be ported to a next gen XBox due to its lower level of complexity, only time will tell.