Family of three Australians killed in US single-engine plane crash Gulf of Mexico 7/12/22

32 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

Pilot licence July, flying over water at 150 feet,  straightforward result.

Say what?!  The report says it was an accident on takeoff. 

Newly qualified pilots shouldn't take off over water?? 

Nothing 'straightforward' here but the tendency to blame fellow pilots right off the bat.

image.thumb.png.616c33953dd0074e28f3d16690cd0239.png

• Agree 1

Two hours after sunset. https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/302136

USA PPL includes night VFR training and the permission for night VFR flights. I wonder if the training included taking off over the water with no lights ahead. When I did my night VFR rating we did circuits at Philip Island out over the water on a dark night. https://www.aviationsafetymagazine.com/features/dark-and-deadly-nights/

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

That article referencing the Australian dark sky takeoff accidents study makes for sobering reading:

"Interestingly enough, investigators found that in every case the doomed aircraft struck the ground within 3 nm of the airport, and within one minute of becoming airborne. In 87 percent of the crashes, the aircraft impacted to one side of the extended centerline with wings showing little or no bank at the time of impact. In every crash, the wreckage indicated that the aircraft was under control at the time of impact. Specifically, the investigators noted that the aircraft damage was consistent with the pilot being unaware of any unusual attitude."

• Like 1
  • Informative 3