Part 61 and Medicals

Does anyone know how long CASA takes to swap an old licence to a Part 61 licence? I notice that they have whipped the fee from my bank account.

Alo, after you submit the report of your medical, does CASA end you back something to carry while you are flying?

• Like 1

I believe the current delay is 6-8 weeks.

With a class2 casa will email a copy that we print and add to our license book.

Edited by Thruster88
  • Informative 1

Log into CASA "self service" and you can see the status of your requests... and there is a Service request number that you can use to ask about progress.

you can apply for username password for this service easily enough. My RPL conversion application  is sitting there waiting to be looked at..

https://customer.casa.gov.au/webclient/index

• Informative 2

Got an email from CASA today. "Your 9TX application has been received, it is currently with an assessor and is in the queue to be processed." I wonder how many licence applications they receive per week. They all seem to be overloaded.

Sounds just like the discussion regarding renewals here in Canada.   One has to appreciate the scope of duties in government offices: nails to be filed, coffee to be drunk, holidays to be planned,     and so on.......

CanadaDan

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a question:

A person has a doctor (DAME or GP depending on the class of medical) complete a medical examination for a licence renewal and fill out the CASA form and the doctor says that the person is medically fit to pilot an aircraft and hands over the signed paperwork for the person to forward to CASA The person on the same day delivers the paperwork to CASA. 

How does that person exercise the privileges of their licence if CASA is slow in processing the renewal?  If subjected to a ramp check, could a pilot produce the signed medical examination report and tell the CASA inspector that the pilot doesn't have the response from Medical Branch because they haven't processed it yet?

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

Here's a question:

A person has a doctor (DAME or GP depending on the class of medical) complete a medical examination for a licence renewal and fill out the CASA form and the doctor says that the person is medically fit to pilot an aircraft and hands over the signed paperwork for the person to forward to CASA The person on the same day delivers the paperwork to CASA. 

How does that person exercise the privileges of their licence if CASA is slow in processing the renewal?  If subjected to a ramp check, could a pilot produce the signed medical examination report and tell the CASA inspector that the pilot doesn't have the response from Medical Branch because they haven't processed it yet?

There's an argument for that if the DAME has approved it; liability issue for CASA before that.

2 hours ago, old man emu said:

Here's a question:

My experience has always been the DAME submits the paper work, or nowadays, email to CASA. If the DAME has issued a medical it is available immediately to print and put in license book. If the DAME has submitted the medical for review then it will not be valid until review is completed. Not sure how GP basic med works. 

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Thruster88 said:

Not sure how GP basic med works. 

He signs it. You send it. You wait. And wait. And  wait,

o by the tie your get a reply from CASA, it has expired and you have to get your GP to do another medical.

I have found it difficult to establish communication with a person working for CASA. I recently went to the CASA office in Sydney for some advice when I was beginning to plan the air display. I wanders around empty corridors before I came across someone. When I explained my need, I was told that whoever could help me wasn't around. At other times I have sent material by email and the only thing I got back quickly was an automated response that my email had been received and had got the "mirror treatment" - someone would look into it. Admittedly, when I did get an email back with someone's name and phone number, I had a pleasant interaction. 

The communication problem I had with the application for air display was that I started dealing with Brisbane, then it went to Adelaide, then to Canberra. I was contacting CASA during summer, so Brisbane was an hour behind my time. Adelaide was its usual 30 minutes behind, and Canberra was in a time zone of its own, not known to the rest of humanity.

All the while…..these people are being paid a Salary you could only dream of, but its all cool and normal for Govt entities 😞 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, jackc said:

All the while…..these people are being paid a Salary you could only dream of, but its all cool and normal for Govt entities 😞 

Honestly, I don't think the functionaries who push the paper around would be getting on much higher Grades of pay than people in CentreLink or similar. It's only when you get to the higher, more managerial levels that the salary gets above average.

On 12/4/2023 at 7:48 AM, jackc said:

I was looking at jobs recently and came across a role at CASA. I don’t know how much you think they earn, but it ain’t that! Wasn’t worth applying. Most of the jobs at CASA align with the public service pay levels, and when you compare that to private industry it’s actually quite poor. Yes there are some perks like job security and 15% super, but this is easily outweighs by cash in the private sector. 

Airservices, however, that’s another story…..

Money isn't everything but you can get free training to upgrade qualifications that can see you climb the public service ladder and transfer to other Govt entities.  Trouble is you could end up being in an environment where your team is not a great workplace but then again it could be great job.  Nothing ventured…..nothing gained 🙂 

On 11/04/2023 at 8:19 PM, old man emu said:

He signs it. You send it. You wait. And wait. And  wait,

o by the tie your get a reply from CASA, it has expired and you have to get your GP to do another medical

Basic Class 2 is simple if you pass 

GP signs the form. You upload it to the CASA website and then print off your medical immediately. CASA dont even want to get involved. 

For normal Class 2, one should go to a DAME2 who can issue one on the spot. Make sure your clarify that before booking your DAME2 (dont get one who wants to refer every medical to CASA despite their priveleges). In practice mine took 1 or 2 days to get issued, DAME2 told me he had to click a button his end and then the CASA automated system generated something for me to print out 2 days later... 

• Informative 1

In respect of Medicals, I have never forgotten over 50 years ago, a 22 year old friend of mine died from an Aortic Dissection, 7 days after a pre discharge Army Medical. Anything can happen at anytime 😞 

This is an interesting read…..

https://www.kitplanes.com/homebuilt-accidents-the-pilots-condition/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=KITPLANES+Homebuilder+s+Portal&utm_campaign=HB-Portal-2023-04-13