RPC to RPL Conversion

Hi,

Does anyone know how many hours is reasonable for an RAA to GA conversion. The flight school which i'm considering quotes "Minimum 6 Hours", and this sounds far more strung out than it needs to be, costing more money.

Thanks

I think from memory you need to get two hours of instrument time, so I think 5-6 is considered about right. But be prepared, the paperwork is the really, really painful part. And the sequence is a bit circular. Medical. ASIC. And proving that you can speak English before a CASA approved examiner. All told it’s probably $3k-$4k

ironically you don’t need to maintain the medical and ASIC if you are happy to fly from non security airfields and only one PAX. But the RPL can’t be processed without them so you need both at the start. ($800 there)

It’s six years since I did mine so I don’t recall all the hiccups, but find a school that has done a few so they can guide you through.  It’s worthwhile, and I’m glad I did it.

Firstly, it depends on what type you are transitioning from and to? Secondly, it depends on your competence in completing the flight review.

CASA spells out exactly what the requirements are. Complete the form and they will convert your RPC to an RPL with nil actions required. 

https://www.casa.gov.au/licences-and-certificates/pilots/pilot-licences/getting-recreational-pilot-licence-rpl#

Stuff required to use the privileges of that RPL. The main cost is in doing the flight review.

I wouldn't put a figure on the number of hours unless I had flown with him/her first to make an assessment.

I wonder of the Class 2 medical they are referring to is the Basic Class 2. MY Basic Class 2 medical cost me $150, but at the same time I got my heavy vehicle Fitness to Drive medical.

Time for the conversion might be quite short if you normally fly  a 24- Jabiru , but can use a VH- Jabiru to do what is not required for n RAAus Pilot Certificate.

I just did this, so can certainly help.

I was on about 140 hours of RAA time with X-Country Endo.

Applied to CASA to have my RAA RPC converted to Part 61 RPL.

Went a completed Class 2 Medical.

Waited for my Part61 RPL to turn up.

Went and did a GA BFR in a Grob.

Also did CTA Endos too.

DONE!

Was pretty painless.  

The good thing is now I can exercise the rights of my Part61 RPL into Controlled Airspace, while flying my RAA registered LSA.  🙂  Winning!!

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

Lastly... All I would need to do now is pass a PPL exam and a Flight Review, and I could go PPL.  No need for me at this stage, as it was all about CTA for me.

• Informative 1

For an RAAUS to RPL conversion - If the instructor is satisfied for a checkride- then that's all there is to do. might take 30 min, might take 5 hours. depends how proficient you are with the heavier , different airplane. 

CTA, etc they are endorsements. just like NAV. I have my RAAus  NAV so that endorsement got added to the RPL.  You dont need the CTA endorsement etc for the RPL (but you cant fly in CTA without it). 

Really- RAAUS PC and basic RPL is nothing more than a tighter medical requirement , english language proficiency (ELP) evaluation, and a checkride.

Oh and there are some minimum hours requirements stipulated in all the CASA forms.  

Edited by RFguy

I'd agree. Although, the lack of inertia  I reckon could catch some GAers by surprise.....But goes the other way, RAA-GA, I think that slow response time of the aircraft could catch some out. ALthough those two aspects are an advantage for certain recovery phases I think.

Compared to the Piper, the big Jabiru is like a sports car. Probably landing phase most different. My take on it -  RAA aircraft speed changes are much faster (due to lower inertia) - whether that is running out of speed in a flare or pitching up the aircraft in flight.....  and, while GA landing ----while  speed decays more slowly, the aircraft is much slower to respond to a recovery from baulked landing  due to lack of power and all that weight. Takes time to change the situation compared to the big Jab which will recover/respond to a baulked landing almost instantly.   Turning airspeed into altitude in case of engine failure is more effective in the heavier plane, certainly (inertia).
A plane is a plane. 

Edited by RFguy

High Drag and low weight. That's the combination that will give you a quick velocity change down wards. It's easily explained to MOST people and hardly rocket science. Wouldn't take long for any reasonable pilot to cover that. Small sized planes react faster to gusts particularly those with Low wing loadings. Higher wing loadings have more "Penetration". Overpowered planes accelerate faster when power is used to do it. and climb faster. A short small ruddered plane will be harder to keep straight if it's a taildragger and the wheels are well forward. These are true generalisations and not a complete list of course but you get the drift.  Nev

• Like 1

BUT my " stanley plane " is too heavy to fly .

And 

My electric " rotary plane " is too short on the cord . LoL

OH , to fly my HummelBird , & Soar like an eagle. 

" Such is life " .

spacesailor