Emergency Engine Start Devises

On 24/6/2023 at 5:59 PM, skippydiesel said:

Okay - seems I was wrong.  Still I would very much prefer to start a Rotax 912ULS using the starter motor

That was an 80hp UL with no slipper clutch in the video.  A 100hp ULS would be more challenging.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I have a twin piston compressor for inflating tyres. It will inflate a completely flat tyre to 40 PSI in a couple of minutes. It came with a cigarette lighter fitting as well as aligator clips for direct battery connection. I tried the cig lighter fitting & it blew the fuse straight away. It uses about 25 amps. Any mob that thinks their jump starter can be used via a cig lighter socket has rocks in their heads. Don't even think of buying anything they try to sell.

There are heaps of jump starters on Ebay from $35.00 to about $300.00. Lots around the $100.00 mark. Check for a money back guarantee and Australian supplier plus customer ratings. The lithium packs are pretty light & they also often have a torch & various USB outlets so can be used to charge your phone, SE2 and other devices. Some also have wireless charging.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...

YES !!  Get a jump starter.

On my recent trip to central Australia my 3300 Jab motor would not turn over fast enough to start on the really cold mornings. I was extremely thankful that before the trip I had installed a heavy duty pair of cables with an Anderson plug INSIDE the cabin.  I did not have to remove the cowl to add the jump starter - I did not even have to get out of the aircraft !!

During the trip my rectifier failed and became intermittent so that on the last day, at a mid day stopover to get fuel,  the battery did not have enough punch to turn the motor over. The jump starter really saved my bacon.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

7 hours ago, wanabigaplane said:

YES !!  Get a jump starter.

On my recent trip to central Australia my 3300 Jab motor would not turn over fast enough to start on the really cold mornings. I was extremely thankful that before the trip I had installed a heavy duty pair of cables with an Anderson plug INSIDE the cabin.  I did not have to remove the cowl to add the jump starter - I did not even have to get out of the aircraft !!

During the trip my rectifier failed and became intermittent so that on the last day, at a mid day stopover to get fuel,  the battery did not have enough punch to turn the motor over. The jump starter really saved my bacon.

that turned out to be a great investment.