Radios

What is the most popular  vhf com radio to buy in australia that will fit the 2 1/4 dash hole in a Savannah .

Any comments would be appreciated!

RFguy Thanks for that I’ve got quotes for Funke , Trig, Microair , Becker. 
just interested in reliability but more so service in Aust ie Microair?

Cheers

I have an XCom, but I don't believe you can buy them new anymore. It's been fine for me, dual watch to listen to AWIS/ATIS/Guard if needed, music input that's wired to my Dynon for audible alerts and the built in intercom made it a simple choice.

Consider what features you need, and see who makes one with those features.

• Agree 1

Thanks for that and I have a xcom in another aircraft works fine I would buy another if possible but can’t find them and no agent reseller has offered , a pity!

previous comment recommended Funke and they probably fine just the name is a bit disturbing!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rodr said:

previous comment recommended Funke and they probably fine just the name is a bit disturbing!!

Probably plays good music ✌️

redeveloped... yes that might be a good start. 

The transponder construction  is quite solid a completely different beast. .  But the radio looks like  a good design start but never finished- IE looks like the person designing it left the company  75% through the design. and items never got sorted. 

From a modern perspective, its was built like something from the early 90s. The biggest issues I have found have been that the factory alignment method is wrong in many places, so I roll my eyes.  O've seen quite a few surface mount component faults - mechanical, the chassis is a bit light for SMT components (flexure).

However, when aligned corrrectly and no faults, they work well. 

The most rapid head shaking comes from seeing bills they gave people for alignment of $600 and they didnt get it right or find the fault.....

I have reached out to them in the past with suggestions, but they dont seem to want to talk.

Edited by RFguy

• 3 weeks later...

OSH Kosh 2023 and just purchased a Trig radio to replace the crap Microair in Sinus motorglider that’s let me down more than once.

Met up with Rfguy and Thruster88. I’ve now returned the Trig radio and ordered an RFguy radio. I was impressed with his knowledge as displayed in the forum. Much more so in person. Looking forward to the motorglider having a radio with 4 frequencies and various tech tricks. I don’t even know what the brand I’ve ordered is? An RFguy radio?

IMG_1073.jpeg

• Like 5