Defect in Vans laser cut parts

• 1 month later...

I think the take home message here is Van's Aircraft act in an appropriate way for an aircraft company. Things happen, it is how companies deal with it that is important. 

The RV6, the most popular kit built aircraft ever with some 2600 examples flying has experienced a small number of rudder pedal cracking issues. A service bulletin was issued requiring regular inspection. Some years later more failure resulted in another SB to gusset or replace with new upgrade parts. I chose new parts because they were cost effective, very reasonable. Removed old parts showed no sign of failure.  

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

There's quite a long discussion on VAF about these LC parts, and the angst it's causing builders.

My concern, FWIW, would be even if Vans comes out and says "WE've determined there's no issue if these LC parts are in X-Y & Z structures, build on", the known cracking, even if it isn't an issue structurally will lower the resale value of aircraft so fitted, in the same vein as the 3L Patrols compared to their 4.2 Brethren...I paid for a kit that "won't crack", I expect to get a kit that "won't crack". Not "It'll likely crack, but we've determined it'll still be OK". 

Granted, even my pre-LC-debacle kit will likely have a few hairline cracks around the occasional dimple, it isn't every dimple, or rivet.

• Informative 1

A friend of mine has just received his Wing and Fuselage kits from Vans.

70% of both are Laser Cut, and some not great. To say he's disappointed is an understatement.

With that amount, he's delaying building until Vans come up with a solution, ideally, replacement of all LC parts.

• Informative 3

• 1 month later...