Update on HARS John Travolta Boeing 707

Late last week we at HARS were given a briefing on the current state of the 707 project.  I've previously asked for your patience while I confirm details, so here they are.  The news could hardly be more exciting.

I've previously described how this aircraft was the last of the 13 707-138 aircraft that Qantas had, and that it was recently owned by John Travolta who owing to maintenance requirements was going to have it "parted out" before being convinced to donate it to HARS.

I've also described the negotiations and work that was done to satisfy the Airworthiness Directives that applied to all 707 aircraft.

Initially it was thought to obtain clearance for a “ferry flight” which has restrictions, however after much work talking to both the Australian CASA and the US FAA a solid plan has emerged with an exciting way forward.

The aircraft will be fully certified in the USA and retain its FAA registration.  This means it will be free of the restrictions a Ferry Flight would impose and mean we can continue to fly it on return to Australia.  Even though they don’t need it, the engines will be fully overhauled to provide the longest life before major work is needed, complementing the low airframe hours and cycles the aircraft has experienced … effectively, it is a “baby” in terms of its potential life.  It will also receive a repaint in its current scheme.  We are determined this aircraft is to continue with a long and useful life.

During the briefing we were shown photos of its excellent external condition and its plush and beautiful interior.  The briefing concluded with one of the engineers who had inspected the aircraft describing what good condition it was in.

Finally, it was emphasised how grateful we have been for the support of Bendigo Bank in helping us see this project through.

For those who will now ask when it is projected to arrive, as the maintenance people said “Do you want it now, or do you want it right?”  We have a way forward and you can be assured we won’t be sneaking it in without telling anyone.

If you would like to help us, you can donate through our HARS website for a tax deductible donation.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 2

My first commercial flight ever, was on a Qantas B707, in 1970 - when I was flown to South Vietnam from Sydney to join my Engineer Unit, 17 Construction Sqdn., at Nui Dat.

What a great flight that was, the days when you could walk up front and chat to the engineer looking after the engines, and get a gawk at his control panel. 

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

11 hours ago, red750 said:

For those who will now ask when it is projected to arrive, as the maintenance people said “Do you want it now, or do you want it right?”  We have a way forward and you can be assured we won’t be sneaking it in without telling anyone.

I don't think you can use the words "sneak in" for any aircraft equipped with JT8D's....😛

• Like 1