Cleaning carbies/looking for blockages.. tips?

danny_galaga

10 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I hate UPS. (with good reason).  Nev

I had parts delivered from xair in Bangalore to my door in Gippsland in 5 days with ups. I was impressed. It takes that long to get items posted from Melbourne with auspost.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Have You used them within/from the USA?   Nev

<q>

Ordered the basic O ring/gasket kit on Monday. From California. Received it today. God I love Aircraft Spruce and UPS ☺️

Meanwhile something I ordered from Toowoomba the same day still isn't here. I'm in Brisbane 😄

</q>

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

<q>

Ordered the basic O ring/gasket kit on Monday. From California. Received it today. God I love Aircraft Spruce and UPS ☺️

Meanwhile something I ordered from Toowoomba the same day still isn't here. I'm in Brisbane 😄

</q>

Nice, Another Tip, do you know about removing the butterfly screws, you will be best to make a tool to allow peening the new screws (a two person job is best.  With my tool I can with care do them myself).  Check fully also the butterflies are in correct best to mark a reference with a marker pen.  They don't fit both ways as have a camphor on there edge (Tripple check or don't peen screws until fully checked.)

• Informative 2

1 hour ago, Blueadventures said:

Nice, Another Tip, do you know about removing the butterfly screws, you will be best to make a tool to allow peening the new screws (a two person job is best.  With my tool I can with care do them myself).  Check fully also the butterflies are in correct best to mark a reference with a marker pen.  They don't fit both ways as have a camphor on there edge (Tripple check or don't peen screws until fully checked.)

I'm probably going to leave them alone. But I found a great write up on CV carbs from this BMW guy. Quite informative:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/bingcv.htm

Since you've had them apart, a question about the slide where the diaphragm spring is. My feeling is it wouldn't be lubed- after all, the carby slide isn't lubed. Am I correct in that assumption?

Edited by danny_galaga

6 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

I'm probably going to leave them alone. But I found a great write up on CV carbs from this BMW guy. Quite informative:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/bingcv.htm

Since you've had them apart, a question about the slide where the diaphragm spring is. My feeling is it wouldn't be lubed- after all, the carby slide isn't lubed. Am I correct in that assumption?

spring not lubed.

5 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

I didn't mean the spring as such, but where that shaft goes into the guide. Or put more simply, is ANY part in there lubed? I suspect not, but thought I'd ask 🙂

No lube, however can condition the o rings, especially if re using any. I know you have a kit.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Informative 1

Very risky to reuse any "O" rings. They harden and go out of shape. The butterfly as well as being in the right way has to be centred before any of the screws are tightened. The chamfer or angling of the sides has to be taken into account in locating it. Why remove it anyhow? IF you are not familiar with these things don't learn on one that's in a plane.   Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mystery solved - I had the fuel IN line and fuel RETURN line mixed 😄

It meant that there was only a trickle of fuel. The hose to the left carby is much shorter than the right so what little fuel there was mostly went to the left, making it seem to run like one carby was faulty. 

I ran it for about 20 minutes once it started to see how hot it would get. About 85° which is nice. Finally got to do radio check with the engine running too. Yay! 

So in the end I needn't have even taken the carbies off at all! But at least I now know a bit more about the insides of Bing carbies.

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1