Cleaning carbies/looking for blockages.. tips?

danny_galaga

yeah, but the pots make no sense to me.

used to keihn/mikuni with the needle and jet.

got a local mechanic whos willing to take the job, but is waiting on a new bead blaster.

idea being that if we are going to do it - may as well clean it all up and make it nice

1 hour ago, danny_galaga said:

It's not the whole carb that is coated. There is a bore that needs to be dead end. So it has a ball bearing sealing it. I think it's pressed in, and then sealed with epoxy.

True for the ball bearing sealing but my understanding was/is that the epoxy coating covers a much wider surface area, possibly all - something to do with casting porosity concerns

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

Also consider the cost of the parts and postage and get a quote from Wal to service.  He is reasonable and will do 100%.  the new float brackets need to be set correct; there is a tool for that and worth buying if your doing them up yourself.  Also Wal will check if any corrosion on the float needle seat, if any corrosion there fuel will pour out of the vent hose, very important not to have an issue there.  Sorry if my comments are a pain, but just sharing from my experiences.  Your first flights are to be fun and enjoyable.  Give me a call if you want to know more.  Text first or leave a message and I'll call back if you call.  Cheers.

Wal is a legend. Nice bloke too

• Like 1

11 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Just passing on information from Rotax Owners Forum - make of it what you will.

I read it too. I don't think it was epoxy, but was definitely some sort of treatment, from Loctite. Apparently that's why the carbs are now a dark grey 

13 minutes ago, onetrack said:

I dunno - that looks like some dodgy, el-cheapo, Chinese-made, set of scales! I'd be pretty wary of using them! :classic_laugh:

😞

I just finished making them. Accurate to 0.05 grams. Thought I should have the scales ready before I take the floats out. I believe they should still be wet, and then dry them for a minute before weighing. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, facthunter said:

The good ones pivot on AGATE wedges.  Nev

That's great. I didn't have any agate wedges on me, but the K & S tubing I used swivels with less than 0.05 grams on one side.

Feel free to send me some agate wedges for my mark 2 version.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

If you were mates with a school science teacher, you could've just zipped around to their science room and borrowed their triple beam balance scales.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_beam_balance

Or ... visit a pawnbroker and ask to use their gold scales.

https://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/scales.html#:~:text=Gold Scale - most accurate 2%2F1000th of a gram!&text=Gold Nugget Scale 0.01 grams HIGH Accuracy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, onetrack said:

If you were mates with a school science teacher, you could've just zipped around to their science room and borrowed their triple beam balance scales.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_beam_balance

Or ... visit a pawnbroker and ask to use their gold scales.

https://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/scales.html#:~:text=Gold Scale - most accurate 2%2F1000th of a gram!&text=Gold Nugget Scale 0.01 grams HIGH Accuracy!

Or ... visit a pawnbroker and ask to use their gold scales. (They may read under weight 😊🤣so not good to check if floats exceed weight, eg 6grm may weight as 4.5g on Pawn scales🙃🙂😁.)

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 1

Hmmmm ... I believe there's people called Trade Measurement Inspectors, who randomly call on businesses that use measuring equipment in their operations, to ensure their measuring equipment is functioning properly and giving accurate readings.

However, you may be right, the TMI's probably don't call on businesses often enough to do those checks. The general trend today seems to be they only act on complaints.

I know the scrap metal dealers scales are often highly suspect.

• Like 1

Or perhaps use what I already made.

The carbs look great, which is a concern in a way because I was hoping for something obvious. It may be that I have removed a blockage or something without even noticing when I cleaned them up. 

Since it was pretty simple to remove and inspect, and I know the floats are ok I will get the basic O ring and gasket set and put em back together 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Ordered the basic O ring/gasket kit on Monday. From California. Received it today. God I love Aircraft Spruce and UPS ☺️

Meanwhile something I ordered from Toowoomba the same day still isn't here. I'm in Brisbane 😄

• Like 1
  • Informative 1