The Gender Balance

Guest Ken deVos

Left or right seat and your gender?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Left or right seat and your gender?

• Pilot (female)
    • Pilot (male)
    • Instructor (female)
    • Instructor (male)
    • [No response text]

Flying is what it is, a combined physical and mental challenge which appeals to the little boy that lurks under the surface of most men.

Having given it quite a bit of thought,instructed four women and taken many more for an introductory flight,it appears to me that spin is pretty close to the truth, at least in recreational flying.

Cheers,

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

"It`s Not What`s Between The Legs,It`s What`s Between The Ears That Counts".

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

Darky, How dare you cast assertions on the strength of the classic Drifter. You deserve to be serverly whipped to within an inch of your life!. Drifters have been around now for a lot of years (maybe more than you have) and do not have a history of coming apart. I might suggest that if you were training in a Drifter, instead of a Jab, you quite possibly would have soloed by now...........................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Why aren't there more? Reading some responses here it's not surprising is it. It's a man's world. Women are brought up to aim for being a hairdresser or secretary, or perhaps even a school teacher. Girls are enrolled in ballet classes, boys are taken go-karting. Girls take jobs in administrative or service roles because they can get them.

No one tells them they can fly.

Maybe some find out about it and give it a shot. They have pilots peering up their skirts while they refuel. They have passengers saying they'd feel safer with a male pilot. They have instructors telling them every female pilot is an empty kitchen.

It happens, I've seen it.

So if you want more women in the industry, treat them like human beings, treat them with respect, and treat them as though they will succeed. Maybe then a few of them will return after a TIF, instead of walking away thinking flying is not for them.

OK then, your excused, don't do it again....................................................:cool_shades:

Hey Maj, she actually would rather a fly in a Drifter over a Jab.... don't nock er 'round about it!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Women in planes...

My wife started flying before me..

After a couple of times sitting on the ground watching, I went for a TIF myself.

We both have our certificates now and are keen to get into the air at any opportunity.

Also our daughter is getting some hours up aswell. ;)

• 2 months later...
Why aren't there more? Reading some responses here it's not surprising is it. It's a man's world. Women are brought up to aim for being a hairdresser or secretary, or perhaps even a school teacher. Girls are enrolled in ballet classes, boys are taken go-karting. Girls take jobs in administrative or service roles because they can get them. No one tells them they can fly.

I totally agree Mazda. No one tells them. Look at it this way, where is flying, as a sport, advertized? In men's magazines. Go to the doctors ,dentists or hospital and what magaines are offered .....womens. So, what we need is a series of well written, witty and persuasive articles to be put in the mags that women read. If the weekly TV mags are also included, a follow up program on tele wouldn't be bad either, provided it's an all woman show.

BTW, I never seen a woman flying in a skirt, jeans/slacks/shorts seem to be the correct dress code here in South OZ.

Thinking about this, I know of three woman pilots in my club. One is training to be an RAaus Instructor, the second uses HER Foxbat as a motor bike replacement on THEIR property in the north.. the third flies every where with her man, sharing out the left hand seat between them. My wife (a dentist) is learning to fly. None of these women are under 50. I think it is more about the differing prioreties for men and women in this very short lifetime we have.049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Marcus

Come to think of it... Mum's aunty was a pilot, and My Aunty's Sister is a pilot of a Boeing! keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif And her other half is Capt'n of a 747!

And Mum's coming along....

So I guess we just need to encourage it a bit more.

Perhaps some women have a stronger fear of the possibilities of death/injury associated with aviation (that whole in-built 'must stay alive to take care of my family' thing?)

I'm just wondering if maybe guys (and some women 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif) think more along the lines of 'well I'm going to try my best not to die but if I do, hey, it was a fun way to go!'

Before we get to gender balance in flying and executive level pay and all that, I demand that gender balance be achieved in other more meaning full areas first. There are far too few women in jail, and in heroin rehab centres. Women in the 17 - 25 year old bracket are also under represented in serious car and motorcycle crashes. Women are lagging lamentably behind in arrests for street violence too. These grass roots inequalities and others like these need to be rectified before we can make any headway on the pithy issues issues like power and money.

Yep, it all seems pretty straight forward to me, Qwerty 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

OK Tomo, that's the second post of yours that does not make any sense to me and since I am not on drugs right now it must be you.......083_lost.gif.2c655b36c89d6cff882e0dc8f9fc5e85.gif

Simple Qwerty... females think things through before they do.... 78% of them anyway! They think through circumstances of what might happen. And so eliminates a lot of arrests etc... like you were saying.

Males are quick and simple...

Guest hostonbarry

I think the Male pilots are known for the Safe Flying so they should be given the highest priority, while the females are the good instructors.

Ok I was trying to not wade into this one.

As the initial pilot in my family (and gasp gasp female) I love flying but aknowledge that female pilots are few, therefore comparisons between male and female pilots are difficult to make. (there are imbalances it seems in numerous areas as Qwerty pointed out)

I would therefore, like to know on what research hostonbarry you have formed your view that

QUOTE: "Male pilots are known for the Safe Flying so they should be given the highest priority, while the females are the good instructors." ?

It appears like the age old who are better drivers?

I am all for the encouragement of ALL pilots male and female, there are the good and the bad in all I do not think that we can make generalisations.

Fly safe Male or Female

Bec

I wouldn't say men are necessarily the safer pilots - there are unsafe pilots of both genders (plus some people may argue that young men may be more reckless and therefore less safe - just like Qwerty's note about females being under-represented in car crashes in the 17-25 age group...)

Not sure females are necessarily the better instructors either. I reckon that's all personality based too. I'm female and I'm not patient enough to teach, I think (right now at least) that I'd be a terrible instructor. My FI is male and clearly has the right personality and patience to teach well (he's been extremely patient with my varied attempts at landing so far at least! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif)

Can we really compare male and female pilots? Since we're all pilots we all clearly have that something inside us that made us decide that the ground wasn't enough and we wanted to take to the sky and fly :big_grin: