110hp, 54kg, 1000hr TBO- Simonini Victor 2 super. Anyone with experience?

micus

This Engine looks unbelievable on paper for the LSA/ultralight crowd. Does anyone have any real world experience with it? Its 1/3 the price of a 912uls, looking for real world reasons to not love this thing.

Mike.

It's a dinosaur. 2 strokes are being outlawed everywhere, and many manufacturers are ceasing production of them, so if you buy a Simonini 2 stroke, you may find it will either be illegal to import it, or it will have restrictions placed on its use in the near future. At the very best, you may find that you'll be purchasing amongst the last of the Simonini 2 stroke line, and when you go to get parts for it, you'll find you're the owner of an obsolete orphan.

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

It's a dinosaur. 2 strokes are being outlawed everywhere, and many manufacturers are ceasing production of them, so if you buy a Simonini 2 stroke, you may find it will either be illegal to import it, or it will have restrictions placed on its use in the near future. At the very best, you may find that you'll be purchasing amongst the last of the Simonini 2 stroke line, and when you go to get parts for it, you'll find you're the owner of an obsolete orphan.

Good points. I've never heard of a 2 stroke being outlawed or restricted in anyway?? I'm in Canada mind you, not sure what's happening elsewhere in the world. Mike.

• Like 1

I think stronger emission laws are eating the profitability of 2-strokes...

I'd love to know how they get that power! Maybe it's more peaky than a Rotax?

Micus - There's enormous environmental pressure on authorities and Govts to remove 2 stroke engines from general use, thanks to their polluting exhaust emissions profile. BRP ceasing manufacturing 2 stroke Evinrude outboards in 2020.

Other 2 stroke engine manufacturers have been reducing their 2 stroke engine emissions by adopting the likes of direct injection. Carburettor 2 stroke production globally, is tailing off very rapidly, as pressure to reduce emissions, bites in every area of engine use.

I found this reference (below) online that may be useful to you, so I would suggest you contact Transport Canada or the ECCC or your EPA to find out how long you've got left, to purchase and use 2 stroke engines. It will only be a few years.

In December, your Environment Minister released the Canadian EPA plan whereby production and importation of gasoline engines in vehicles into Canada, is projected to cease in 2035. That initially sounds like a long time away, but it's only 11 years. 

"Authority to regulate emissions from internal combustion engines in Canada rests with Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) and Transport Canada. Under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act 1999 (CEPA 1999), Environment Canada has the authority to regulate emissions from on-road engines, as well as from most categories of off-road engines. Authority to regulate emissions from aircraft, railway locomotives and commercial marine vessels remains with Transport Canada. Regulations have been adopted to control emissions of criteria air contaminants (CAC) as well as greenhouse gases (GHG)."

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 1

I would not worry too much, if you want one get it.

Simononi are not just a two stroke maker but manufacturers of parts for Formula one and have a good reputation .

• Informative 1

On 10/02/2024 at 7:54 PM, onetrack said:

Micus - There's enormous environmental pressure on authorities and Govts to remove 2 stroke engines from general use, thanks to their polluting exhaust emissions profile. BRP ceasing manufacturing 2 stroke Evinrude outboards in 2020.

Other 2 stroke engine manufacturers have been reducing their 2 stroke engine emissions by adopting the likes of direct injection. Carburettor 2 stroke production globally, is tailing off very rapidly, as pressure to reduce emissions, bites in every area of engine use.

I found this reference (below) online that may be useful to you, so I would suggest you contact Transport Canada or the ECCC or your EPA to find out how long you've got left, to purchase and use 2 stroke engines. It will only be a few years.

In December, your Environment Minister released the Canadian EPA plan whereby production and importation of gasoline engines in vehicles into Canada, is projected to cease in 2035. That initially sounds like a long time away, but it's only 11 years. 

"Authority to regulate emissions from internal combustion engines in Canada rests with Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) and Transport Canada. Under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act 1999 (CEPA 1999), Environment Canada has the authority to regulate emissions from on-road engines, as well as from most categories of off-road engines. Authority to regulate emissions from aircraft, railway locomotives and commercial marine vessels remains with Transport Canada. Regulations have been adopted to control emissions of criteria air contaminants (CAC) as well as greenhouse gases (GHG)."

brp never stopped making 2 strokes, they are called rotax now instead of evinrude but i think they use the etec powerhead and fuel system.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...

I've had some experiences. Completely negative. Unrecoverable shaking and power is not more than 60-70 hp. Complete helplessness and deception of dealers. Incomprehensible answers of the manufacturer. I do not advise anyone. The practical value of the Rotax-582 engine is higher.

• Informative 1