MARAP FAILURE

OK, so two years and $45000 later , We have a flying    ( under a special temporary C of A.  )   Rotax powered J160.  Now approaching 40 hours of  faultless operation. All within 50 miles of home!      The aircraft is also deemed so unsafe as to not qualify for RAA insurance coverage ,    It was reported to me that  " Examining Engineers"  cant even be çertain that the thrust line is correct!  (The elevator trim lever remains in the original position )

The aircraft is thus unregisterable under all present groups (  24,  19 ect ) .... It appears that a major fault was not providing identities and details of similarly powered Jabirus.  Plus wandering too far from the original spec. (Also a major sticking point. )  

I did make appeals  to people with Rotax/Jabs on here and other forums..... . But only a single photo or spec sheet was forthcoming. I had a couple of promises and some knockbacks. one positive result, not enough .... The RAA of course MUST know who built them and have photographic evidence. But they don't share.

As things stand  I CAN fly the Jab, within  a 50 miles radius. Within a temp C of A ....But there are no circumstances or pathways to registration ATM. Thus flying further than I can see is not possible.   To say I am disappointed  would be the understatement of the century.  at 77 years old 2 years is a big chunk.  My immediate instinctive response is to burn the Jab and  L2 cert. and walk away. It's unsaleable and I cant afford another. ....  I am trying to find a positive. Not there yet..... Flying is still flying. 

The point of this all.?                          BEWARE OF  MARAP.                                          You can invest Lots Of Time and Money and have NO control.

jab160a.jpg

J160 engine.jpg

• Informative 1

Yes it is a shame that you have been F@$ked over like this. yet there are a number of jabs flying that have had CAR35 i think it is. We had one at Caboolture airfield for a few years then it was sold. Not sure where it went to. I could find out if you want as I know the school operator. and it was RAA rego not GA I am sure. 

The new owner of jabiru hopefully sees the light and does one with a Rotax up the front hopefully he is not as pig headed as old Rodney about these things. They would sell a heap of Jabs with Rotax...there are still a lot of potential buyers out there that just dont trust the jab engine...I am not trying to start a flame war here just stating a fact. But now Stiffy is not the controlling partner maybe some improvements could be made as the Jab has been proved as a good safe airframe.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, GolfWhiskeyHotel said:

It was reported to me that  " Examining Engineers"  cant even be çertain that the thrust line is correct!  (The elevator trim lever remains in the original position )

The thrust lines can be measured on the finished aircraft using plumb bobs and datums.

When you can certify something like Britten Norman Trislander thrust line doesn't matter much.. Have a look at the Middle Engine. Be a great spinner.

31 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

The thrust lines can be measured on the finished aircraft using plumb bobs and datums.

We did that when building the engine mount!...to no avail.  If the thrust line was out more than a couple of mm's the trim would require alteration  shirley, plus the prop shaft would rub on the cowl.

There was a Rotax-powered Jab out of Warnervale a few years back. James Stewart is the CFT there for Cloud-9 and might be able to help if you give him a call. Andrew Smith is the CFI of the CCAC and may be able to let you know if it was one of his members' planes if James can't help you out.

EDIT:
So just to confirm, this is a swap from a Jab 2200 to a Rotax in a 24- reg, not a Rotax installed in a new-from-the-factory Jab kit (hich would qualify for 19- reg)?

If it was 19- originally, why does MARAP apply if it was Experimental originally anyway?

Edited by KRviator

I suspect you have fallen foul of an increasingly complex system that will see RAA want, possibly serious money to get signed off in the long run. I started down this road to fit a Ballistic Recovery Chute to my 19 reg aircraft. MARAP was all too hard.

So, I have a wearable slim pack chute I can wear while flying, if thinks turn bad I can just bail out 🤩

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, KRviator said:

There was a Rotax-powered Jab out of Warnervale a few years back. James Stewart is the CFT there for Cloud-9 and might be able to help if you give him a call. Andrew Smith is the CFI of the CCAC and may be able to let you know if it was one of his members' planes if James can't help you out.

It was a 24 reg, used by the RA flight school there (Valley Ultralights if my memory serves me correctly - long since shut down and the aircraft sold off). Cost him a fair bit to get it approved. That would have been about 15 years ago, so the processes will likely have changed.