Front Leg

Make them stronger and something else will deform. Fly so as you  don't bend your nosewheel structure. Mild steel has relatively good fatigue characteristics.. Nev

1 hour ago, spacesailor said:

Because,  those legs do bend easily,  and that wear , plus the rusting on that area .

Is a known problem .

It's only a tiny aircraft , & I suspect the leg could be made just a little stronger. 

After a few years of having a ' training wheel ' at the front I was intending to change the ' Hummelbird ' to a conventional tail dagger,  eliminating the nose wheel problem.

spacesailor

If you think its a training wheel better to leave it on the trailer.

• Haha 1

These Hummel-Birds do look a lot better , as mr Hummel designed it. 

image.thumb.png.5eb16c707809764697c4515bf0fa87f8.png

image.thumb.png.bf45577ef8f008fe035bc7925929d4bb.png

spacesailor

Rob,  see photo's previous .

Edited by spacesailor
A little more !
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, spacesailor said:

These Hummel-Birds do look a lot better , as mr Hummel designed it. 

image.thumb.png.5eb16c707809764697c4515bf0fa87f8.png

image.thumb.png.bf45577ef8f008fe035bc7925929d4bb.png

spacesailor

Rob,  see photo's previous .

I am confused by your posts. I thought you said you could not fly your plane  and now your converting to taildragger after a few years as a nose wheel.  Have you flown it.

Just curious because I really like the look of hummelbirds . I think they would be a terrific aircraft.

10 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Too big for control lines.  Nev

RC stands for Radio Control.

The Aerobatic class has approval to operate in the Danger Zones of the Moorabbin Training area up to 1000 feet.

16 minutes ago, facthunter said:

All is right with the world then. I got out of models when the RC took off.  It was nearly as expensive as the real thing.   Nev.

You should have known me back then Nev.

I used to very cheaply build my own radio control gear using acorn valves out of walkie-talkies from the government surplus shops.

I could have saved you a lot of money.

The fluttering rudder (galloping ghost system} left lots of room for improvement though.

Might have required too much skill so I started flying the real thing and eventually got paid to do it so that was some compensation. otherwise I might have been a ship's Engineer on a BHP Ore Boat. That's the sort of thing one aspired to in those times.  Nev.

That was my intention.  Untill I was told I could never gain a RAA certificate. 

I still want to gain that certificate,  but age is against it .

Question : if you lose your " driving licence " because of age.

Are you automatically stripped of your " flying certificate " .

spacesailor

I know someone who didn't bother but a year or two later decided he wanted to drive and passed.. I also know some one else who didn't know WHERE they were and Drove too fast. (Always did even when being coached by the trainer).  Unsurprisingly DIDN'T pass. There IS a time to give it up. My Mate in NSW has an electric thing he just loves and gets around locally and with a cab other times.  Nev

In Victoria after a certain age, the licence period shortens and you have to make a health Declaration (the one RA pilots fell in love with). Don’t try to fudge it because you only need a small accident and if you aren’t fit it’s trouble big time.

49 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

That was my intention.  Untill I was told I could never gain a RAA certificate. 

I still want to gain that certificate,  but age is against it .

Question : if you lose your " driving licence " because of age.

Are you automatically stripped of your " flying certificate " .

spacesailor

In raaus you are and I would imagine the new class 5 in GA as well

Edited by BrendAn