Flight Reviews

For the last thirteen years I have been conducting my biennial flight review in my own RAAus registered aircraft with a CFI with both CASA and RAAus qualifications. All that time, CASA has accepted and approved the review… until this year. They maintain that it must be conducted in a CASA registered aircraft. I have been corresponding with CASA trying to understand what has changed in the Regs that has caused this decision. So far I am still waiting. 

Is anybody out there in the same boat?  I know that in my local area there are several pilots who have successfully completed dual flight reviews in their RAAus registered aeroplanes over a number of years. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure, but it could possibly be as a result of fatalities of Instructors when doing them in non-CASA aircraft.

I've definitely seen a report on one, possibly two, going back a few years but eventually a decision based on risk may have kicked in.

Posted (edited)

I certainly do. CASA licences are perpetual. They are current when they satisfy medical and AFR requirements. 

Edited by jcruffle

I don't think a Check in an RAAus plane will cover a VH.  Without a current medical you can't legally fly the VH unless it's a TIF with an instructor.  Nev

Medical is current. You need a current medical to do a CASA AFR.

Why don’t you think you can’t be done?  Part 61 of the Regs say it must be completed in an “aeroplane” and the aeroplane must be registered. It does not say with whom. If someone can point me to somewhere in Part 61 that says differently I would be grateful. I can’t find it. 

I've done it the other way around but why WOULD it be allowed? Maybe you have been lucky  so far. VH is ICAO compliant.  RAAus operates on dispensations. Anyhow your argument is with the CASA.. Nev

Thanks for your thoughts Nev. I guess I am really confused as to why it was allowed seven times with me, and multiple times with other pilots that I know of. If it is approved or not approved, that decision must be based on the legalisation and not the opinion of an Offical. I’m just putting it out there so that other pilots might be aware of the situation. 
John

Nothing wrong with that, John...   CASA have made some crazy statements at times. They said no plane can get into the air without an ASIC  Retracted about a week later.    Nev

17 minutes ago, jcruffle said:

Part 61 of the Regs say it must be completed in an “aeroplane” and the aeroplane must be registered. It does not say with whom. If someone can point me to somewhere in Part 61 that says differently I would be grateful. I can’t find it. 

Follow the path of the definitions in the regulations - CASA's definition of registered in Part 61 means registered per Part 47. So anything required to be done must be done in a CASA registered aeroplane, unless it speciifically says otherwise (such as experience requirements for a CPL).

But don't take my opinion - ask CASA, they happily answer questions like this via a form on their website.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My understanding is bfr in VH aircraft is recognised by RAAus and bfr in RAAus aircraft is not recognised for VH for their bfr requirements.  This for last more than 12 years so maybe you have been slipping through the systems cracks in past years.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)

I believe that RAAus is working on having the BFR done in an RAAus aircraft be valid for your CASA licence as well as your RAAus certificate sometime in the future.

Possibly tied in with RAAus instructor ratings be accepted as CASA endorsements.

Don't hold your breath .........

Edited by Deano747
  • Agree 1

Part 61: (243 pages of it)

61.007 This Part (part 61) applies to flight in a registered aircraft.

61.010 Definitions

REGISTERED aircraft - is not defined. One could say that RAAus are indeed registered (with a sport aviation body)

Civil Aviation Act defines Australian aircraft to be - "registered in Australia" (in other words, a registered aircraft!)

Long gone are the days when this reg used to say "On the Australian Civil Aircraft Register" - which was then just VH. Early AUF register was not part of "the Aust civil aircraft register". One would presume it was changed to recognise aircraft registered to CASA approved sport aviation organisations as indeed "registered in Australia" - because they are. 

FLIGHT REVIEW means an assessment of competency

61.025 Definition of aeroplane for Part 61 - a 3 axis aeroplane - no mention of registration matters

I think this one is the kicker:

61.400 (3) A flight review must be conducted in an aircraft that can be flown under the rating

Your CASA licence is only good for VH (or maybe other ZK, N etc) registered aircraft.

Can you fly an RAAus aircraft on your CASA licence? Nope.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 440032 said:

61.007 This Part (part 61) applies to flight in a registered aircraft.

61.010 Definitions

REGISTERED aircraft - is not defined. ………

I think this one is the kicker:

61.400 (3) A flight review must be conducted in an aircraft that can be flown under the rating

Your CASA licence is only good for VH (or maybe other ZK, N etc) registered aircraft.

Can you fly an RAAus aircraft on your CASA licence? Nope.

Follow through from 61.007 to get the definition of registered aircraft that applies to Part 61. http://www6.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/casr1998333/s61.007.html

I agree, 61.400(3) nails it with respect to RAA aircraft. As for a USA registered aircraft - see FAR 61.3 (a) : "..... a pilot need not hold an FAA pilot's license to fly an N registered aircraft outside the United States . A pilot may operate an aircraft within a foreign country using a pilot's license issued by that country. "

But just my opinion, CASA will happily explain.

Thanks for the contributions to my question. There are certainly some points to consider here. 

• Like 1