J160 J170 reality.

Ultralights

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Geoff and Peter, can you tell me what pitch prop that you are both using please, as I have just got my plane flying and with a 44 pitch prop my 160 climbs out at 90 knts and 1200 fpm.

Thanks Brian

Just me plus 80 lts at 80 knots 1000 ft this time of the year, on the trip in the kimberleys last year at 543kg at 80 knots 38 outside air temp 400 ft not bad as J160 at max and sea level is only rated at 600ft

Brothers - lets face the real enemey!

Now that we have worked out that we should love each other it is time to turn on the real enemy.........that Tecnam scum!

:hittinghead:

(and for the benefit of BRILIN......."were the Judean Peoples Front, not that Peoples Front of Judea scum" - he knows what I'm talking about)

Thank you sibling 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Blueline and others, I have just got our plane going [2 weeks now] and it is climbing like a hairy goat at the moment, but I knew it would drop off in climb performance once the hotter weather was here, thanks for your help with actual figures as we intend on doing a few trips north in the future.

Brian

Hey Rom! How many Jabby stall/spin accidents have you heard of?

Gliders, Tigers, Austers and especially Chippies have spun in regularly since the dawn of time.

If loaded with nil carried behind the seats and thus a C of G well forward, the 160 is a pussycat. It has less elevator authority than the 170 because of shorter tailplane span. So there!

• 1 month later...
Guest Ken deVos
I am researching my next aircraft purchase, and i have recently been looking at the J160/170 series aircraft, now looking at the Jabiru site and info, i have found a few anomalies, and would like the real world Honest numbers from owners... for the J160

Cruise Speed @ 3050 rpm 100 knots

Engine Jabiru 2200cc 80 hp Propeller 2 Blade Fixed Pitch Wooden/Composite 60†dia x 42†pitch

Wing Span 8120 mm

now with the J170...

Cruise Speed @ 2850 rpm 100 knots

Engine Jabiru 2200cc 80 hp Propeller 2 Blade Fixed Pitch Wooden/Composite 60†dia x 42†pitch

Wing Span 9657 mm

now, as you can see, the J160 cruises at 100 kts at 3050 rpm, yet the J170 will cruise at 100 Kts at 2850 rpm, yet is has an identical prop and pitch, yet it has 1.6 mtrs more wingspan,

i would assume that 1.6 mtrs of extra wing, would add a bit more drag, and lower the cruise speed somewhat, yet it has equal speed, at lower RPM than its small winged counterpart...???091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

so what i am after is some real world cruise speed comparisons from J160 and J170 Owners and pilots....

Interesting to note the revised (see jabiru website) specifications for the J160C stall speeds at 540kg MTOW is:

Vs0 = 48kts

Vs1 = 53kts

Guest brentc

You can get a J170 with a 120hp 6 cylinder if you wish, but not a factory built model. It costs $1,000 extra for the cowls and engine mount plus the cost of the engine.

In the end you may as well buy a J230, much more versatile for not a lot more.

what do any of you guys have to say about the J230

what do any of you guys have to say about the J230?

Someone told me it would cruise at 130knots firewalled is this true?

What about its flight characteristics compared to the smaller jabs?

dingduck

the J170 is only 15kg heavier than the J160 at identical configuration - the only difference being the extra wing and those winglets

Horsham Flying Club has a factory built [ ie; rough! ] J230 used for training as well as glider towing.

We also have a club member, kit built J230 that has had the wings filled and profiled to gliding standards as well as careful finishing, fitting and sealing of all doors and etc.

This J230 will hit VNE, 140 kts, two up in level flight at full throttle.

Even the guy who built and owns this J230 often flies the club J120 as it is such a good little aircraft to handle and play around in.

Thats impressive ROM, I guess at about 3100 revs then its getting close to 130kts but chewing the gas up. Anyone know if there is a J230/J200/J400 out there with a 8cyl Jab engine in it and if so what performance?

I don't think that many power pilots realise just what gains can be made to both the top end performance, higher cruise speeds at similar engine settings and lower stall speeds and shorter T/O distances by very carefully filling and profiling the wings and also paying a great deal of attention to close gap tolerances and gap sealing.

It is standard practice in the high performance gliders and is absolutely necessary if the sail plane is to get it's best glide and climb performance.

This also applies equally to any power aircraft.

There is a huge amount of work involved to get the improved numbers, particularly after all the work to build from a kit but a lot of satisfaction when you can see what your aircraft can do compared to the ordinary run of the mill model.

Some airfoil sections respond better than others to filling and profiling but they all get a significant lift in performance when this is correctly done.

My wing was shaped by a professional fibreglasser and I suspect some of my speed could be attributed to this. I can get 140+ at full throttle no problems. A member here also got 150'ish at full throttle 3,400 rpm! (his prop was set fine - same as my prop) I prefer mine a little coarser.