Cheap navigation - Mio Moov and OziExplorerCE

Hi,

I've just got a Mio Moov 300 and installed Mio Pocket 3.0 (Release 54) Which appears to work fine. I've downloaded OziExplorerCE (The one for ARM processors, I think this is the right one?). Copied the files onto the SD card and tried to run it on the Mio, I get an hourglasss but nothing else (I waited for 35 minuites before giving up.)

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Cheers

Dave

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,I've just got a Mio Moov 300 and installed Mio Pocket 3.0 (Release 54) Which appears to work fine. I've downloaded OziExplorerCE (The one for ARM processors, I think this is the right one?). Copied the files onto the SD card and tried to run it on the Mio, I get an hourglasss but nothing else (I waited for 35 minuites before giving up.)

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Cheers

Dave

Just a quick update, OziExplorerCE seems to have corrupted when I copied it to the SD card, I downloaded it again, worked fine :big_grin:

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Here is a link showing different screen sizes of a French equivalent to the "Slarti System"

Looks like it to me anyway, I can't read french. (but I am told this software is freeware )

Previously I didn't want to risk trashing my, required for business Navman S300T by unlocking it and adding software but I hate it so much I decided it could only improve things, and if I did brick it, I would just have to replace it with another brand high_5.gif.95ee4a47273086425b8f5a9eab7ee024.gif.

So I also have started the process, even if only to decide if that's what suits me or I go a different track. (XC is getting close keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif)

So far

Backed Up Original - get active sync, then easy as

Unlocked - easy as

Loaded oziexplorer on PC and Navman - straight forward and seamless

Ordered Maps - still to come

Buy OziE - still to happen ( tomorrow)

Drive around in car (truck) to see how it works. - done and seems fine

Concerns i_dunno

1 - screen size is a bit small and hard to read for an old fella

so how are those using the 7" screens finding theirs ?

2 - really need a stylus to operate ( finger is fine for original operation ) - my finger is just too fat -boy them buttons are little when you are bouncing along. Don't know how I will go in the trike in anything but dead still air, Might have to look at the Ross big button page

Is the 7" screen any better?

3 - had a similar time problem to ???? where it kept reverting to the wrong time but that now seem resolved ( don't know how)

And the good bits so far 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

1 - There is a good selection of pages, with good info, easy to read up close and in a still environment

2 - using a stylus seem to make operation much better

3. The GPS seems to find its location much easier than in its original form :confused:

doesn't seem to make sense as it gets the same data from the GPS component, but I get a good fix inside with OzE whereas the original system gets no signal / fix at all.

So to another question

My last PDA died years ago but had other software on it that I think is included with normal ( but not mine) winCE

eg text editor, pic viewer, organiser, calculator. etc

Do you have these on yours, or are they freely available, best source for other (free) software?

running wince 5 - arm processor

AND

Thanks Ross for a good thread :thumb_up:

Hi

Well I've had a couple of flys with it now and learnt a bit more

Firstly the bad

First flight was in overcast conditions and screen brightness was good and readable

second flight ( today) was fine early morning but as the sun got higher the screen became totally unreadable - bugger just when I was starting to really like it.

The time problem isn't resolved, I am wondering if the win settings have been made read only or something , will get to investigate that later.

Now the good

After changing the position of the gps so it was closer to eyes for viewing, the screen size was works fine.

The button size that concerned me has a fix I didn't realise until I started using it. The hole screen is divided into a 3 X 3 matrix of 9 buttons that overlay over the top of what is displayed. One of the buttons changes the transluncy of the buttons so you can see where they are and read their operation. So most of the time you don't seem to meed to use the tiny buttons. If you build your own screens you can make 4 pages of these buttons, thats 36 big button functions to do what you need.

Scanning and calibrating your own maps in is an easy function , as is merging a number of scanned images to reform the full map

As stated elsewhere flying with the aviation chart on screen is really nice and although it doesn't have air space alarms it's easy to see if you are near violation

Hi

yes Ross my S300T

They look easy - velcro dot on - Might try making up a shade and see how it goes. Weather looks bad for a few days so I'll have to wait to try a shade thumb_down

Do have one other little drama at present - when I connect S300 to my PC, the PC tells me that the usb device is corrupt so I cannot load maps easily at present 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Suggestions?

Do have one other little drama at present - when I connect S300 to my PC, the PC tells me that the usb device is corrupt so I cannot load maps easily at present 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Suggestions?

First - try connecting it to another PC. If it still complains, there's a problem with the device.

If it doesn't, reinstall the USB driver on your PC.

Hi Ross,Is it possible to have a copy of the file "hires.dat" email to me.

Many Thanks, Colin

Hi Colin.

It doesn't matter what (if anything) is in the file, just the presence of it makes Ozi double the resolution.

In Windows, just right click a inside any folder, and choose New --> Text Document.

Then just rename the file to hires.dat and copy it to the OziExplorerCE folder on your device.

Or grab any existing small file and copy/rename it.

I just did it on the 7" one I'm setting up for turboplanner. I'm now going to take it on a test run to Luskintyre tomorrow, just to make sure it's working properly 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif.

Hi Colin.It doesn't matter what (if anything) is in the file, just the presence of it makes Ozi double the resolution.

In Windows, just right click a inside any folder, and choose New --> Text Document.

Then just rename the file to hires.dat and copy it to the OziExplorerCE folder on your device.

Or grab any existing small file and copy/rename it.

I just did it on the 7" one I'm setting up for turboplanner. I'm now going to take it on a test run to Luskintyre tomorrow, just to make sure it's working properly 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif.

Hi Ross,

Thanks for that, it worked OK. Can now read all.

First - try connecting it to another PC. If it still complains, there's a problem with the device.If it doesn't, reinstall the USB driver on your PC.

Thanks Ross- device stopped charging on 12V yesterday, Plugged USB in again to PC and no charge led on device with that either so it looks like a navman fault. Gotta love that navman - NOT. Not that old so I guess it will be going back.

I'll keep an eye and ear out for you at Luskintyre tomorrow - should be floating around the area if it's not too windy.

Yeah Ray - great to meet you. Thanks for dropping over to catch up.

I'll post some pics later.

On topic - I gave the 7" GPS a run yesterday.

The good: It works perfectly well and the screen is very big.

The bad: Not bright enough - the screen is very reflective, so the brightness is important.

Also, the power lead comes out very easily. You would have to fix this so it didn't unexpectedly go flat.

A hood would help with visibilty, but you'd still have to angle it toward a dark part of your cockpit.

I much prefer my Mio. It's bright enough to be seen at all times, and a 4.3" screen is plenty.

Yeah Ray - great to meet you. Thanks for dropping over to catch up.I'll post some pics later.

On topic - I gave the 7" GPS a run yesterday.

The good: It works perfectly well and the screen is very big.

The bad: Not bright enough - the screen is very reflective, so the brightness is important.

Also, the power lead comes out very easily. You would have to fix this so it didn't unexpectedly go flat.

A hood would help with visibilty, but you'd still have to angle it toward a dark part of your cockpit.

I much prefer my Mio. It's bright enough to be seen at all times, and a 4.3" screen is plenty.

I was thinking about the glare/reflection problem yesterday Ross as I was delivering some building materials to the airfield for our new hangar. I tried a hood/shroud made of matt black material which gave minimal improvement because of the lack of a dark part of the cockpit (in this case in the car). Got a feeling this is going to be an ongoing problem. It occurred to me that there are film products (3M) out there that people use on windows to reduce glare; I wonder if there is a product that would be suitable for this application which would not detract from the touch screen sensitivity. I'll check with 3M and let people know if I find something.

Pud

I thought about that stuff too Pud. Might work, but would have to be thin to keep the touch screen working.

I think you can buy a screen saver film for the smaller sat navs including touch screen ones - they may have one for a 7". I thinks it's the very shiny surface that contributes to the problem.

Can some body help with this.....

I've seen a program working on an iphone which displays a fully opporational atificial horizon. Is there a same or similar (freeware) program which will work with on a GPS using widowsCE operating system.

Thanks

I was impressed by the AH on the iphone when I was playing with it on the ground....then, I took it for a fly. It is based on an accelerometer which means that it is basically useless.

Sorry mate, Qwerty

Vikuiti anti-reflective film

Here is the brochure from 3M on the anti-reflective film

Protects delicate LCD screens while significantly

improving display readability.

Practically every mobile electronic device today features an LCD screen—from handheld computers and automated

data capture devices to personal digital assistants (PDAs). And although LCD screens have continued to improve over

the years, they are still not nearly as durable as desktop CRT screens. To help your LCD screen last, it should be

protected. One way to achieve this is with VikuitiRemovable Anti-Reflection Film (ARMR-200).

This ultra-thin, multilayer film not only helps protect delicate LCD screens from scratches and damage that can lead to

costly repairs, but also reduces screen surface reflections to minimize glare and increase clarity. And unlike other

types of protective film, Vikuiti ARMR-200 film does not bunch up or leave air gaps that can result in image distortion.

Since touch-display sensitivity is not affected by the film, Vikuiti ARMR-200 film is ideal for screens requiring a stylus.

When it’s time to replace the film—every three to six months—a non-tacky elastomer adhesive allows the film to be

easily removed with little or no residue. Vikuiti ARMR-200 film is available in a variety of sheet sizes and can be easily

trimmed to accommodate just about any size screen.

ARMR-200 Film

3Innovation

VikuitiRemovable Anti-Reflection Film (ARMR-200)

Limited Warranty: This 3M product will meet its published specification at the time of sale

and for 3 months after application. If this product is defective, your exclusive remedy shall

be, at 3M’s option, replacement of the product or refund of the purchase price.

Limitation of Liability: 3M will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from this product,

whether direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential.

VikuitiRemovable Anti-Reflection Film (ARMR-200)

Optical Systems Division

3M Center, Building 275-6E-07

St. Paul, MN 55144-1000 Minimum 10% Post-Consumer Fiber

Vikuiti and the Vikuiti “Eye” symbol are trademarks of 3M.

All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Printed in U.S.A.

© 3M Rev 3/2005

75-0500-5214-3

VikuitiRemovable Anti-Reflection Film (ARMR-200) is an inexpensive way to help protect delicate LCD screens

from scratches and fingerprint damage while improving clarity and readability.

• Durable hardcoat—lasts 3-6 months depending on use

• Features an anti-reflective coating—for improved clarity and readability

• Smudges and fingerprints wipe off easily—thanks to an easy-to-clean layer on the film

• Removable—a non-tacky adhesive allows the film to be removed

• Matte surface—for less slippage when writing with a stylus

Vikuiti Removable Anti-Reflection

Film’s unique multilayered

construction reduces glare,

makes it easier to wipe off

fingerprints and helps shield

screens from scratches.

Vikuiti ARMR-200 film will fit several

display types.

A matte coating provides a more natural

non-slip writing surface.

Non-tacky adhesive will not trap bubbles

during application.

Anti-Fingerprint Layer

Anti-Reflection Coating

Matte Hardcoat

5 mil PET

1 mil Adhesive

Disposable Liner

Nominal film properties

Thickness Base 5 mil

Adhesive 1 mil

Pencil Hardness > 3H

Durability 10 rubs at 160g/in2

Solvent Resistance Window cleaner, IPA, 10W-40 oil, Coke®, coffee,

Sharpie®, water

Environmental Heat/Humidity 65°C/95% RH for 500 hrs

Dry Heat 85°C for 500 hrs

Thermal Shock

Resistance (Hot/Cold) -35°C to 85°C,

1hr cycles for 8 days

Specular Reflectance < 1.1%

Transmission > 92%

Gloss 75-110 gloss units

Typical values, not for specification purposes.

We’re easy to reach!

1-800-553-9215

Visit our Web site at

www.Vikuiti.com

Cheers,

Pud

Hi

Looking at GPS's in stores today. All the Mio units ( and only the Mio units) like Ross uses are claiming to have anti glare screens, which may explain why his seems better than the 7" no name version, and my Navman. So Pud your anti glare film may just give the improvement required.

Certainly worth your money to try it for me :stirring pot:............. bad Ray:mulie:

Interestingly I was also looking at small lap tops ( 10.5" but am told an 8.5" touch screen is also available) - thought maybe not much bigger than a 7" display and could run other apps as well, and has a real keyboard - need a remote gps though. In D Smith they had about 6 different models, 5 with shiny screens 1 with a matte screen and even with just the shop lights the mat screen seemed much brighter.