Cheap navigation - Mio Moov and OziExplorerCE

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used film on my netbook and PND advertised on an Austrlian Mac web site for use with Macbooks. It did a good job of reducing reflections but the image quality on the netbook suffered too much. The PND image quality seemed ok but it wasn't any easier to read in bright sunlight, which was what I was hoping for.

Bloody hell Pud $12 seems a bit steep for a bit of plastic. I seem to recall a "pad" of about 12 or 15 sheets about 4" x 3" for sale in the camera shop for about $6 or $8. next time I'm near the camera shop I'll have a look. Don't hold your breath, I hate going into town.

Pure Screen- Glare & Screen Protector Film (7"_3) - eBay, Screen Protectors, GPS Accessories, Electronics. (end time 01-Jan-10 22:04:41 AEDST)[/url] from Ebay - I'll let you know what I think in due course.Pud

It arrived in the mail today and I have fitted the film to the screen - seems like not much different although I'll try it out tomorrow both in the car and in the Thruster when I go to Northam for a fly. Gotta leave at 5am so I get a fly before the thermals fire up as its gonna be 37 degrees tomorrow and winds from the ENE. I'll let you know how I go.

Pud

Well I gotta say that the film on the screen has made a difference although there are still some dirty dishes Qwerty:big_grin: It has turned what was an unusable device into one that can be used quite well although not eliminating the reflections/glare completely. 3M are sending me a sample of their product so I'll try that out as well.

I couldn't use the GPS in the flying school Thruster because of interference through the headset when I turned the GPS on - turn it off and the static disappeared. Having said that we are having some trouble with the radio in the aircraft where I could receive transmissions but could not send them. I spoke with another Thruster driver after we both landed and he confirmed no radio communications from me - thanks Mark.

By the way; the thermals were booming at 7am so I only had time for half an hour in the circuit which was good practise especially with the thermals on late final:jump: No wind at gl or the circuit height though which was unexpected but a bonus given the conditions.

Cheers,

Pud

Quick question on waypoints. The VNC from Maptrax came with what looks like a list of all ADs and ALAs in Australia (I think. 563 of them). It's a txt file and contains Name, Lat, Long, ID, State and type. Is there a quick way to import those to a waypoint file(.wpt)?

And for if there isn't, has anyone taken the time to set up waypoints for at least the eastern seaboard or southeast QLD to sydney basin?

Hi Damian. Having recently tried one of the 7" models, I wouldn't recommend them because the screen is too dim. It doesn't have an anti-glare surface which makes the problem worse.

I find it hard to go past the Mios, in fact I just bought another one on eBay which I will load up and someone can buy off me ready to go.

If you're looking at the moment, you'd find it hard to get a better buy than this one.

If I hadn't just bought another, I would have grabbed it myself.

If someone wants the Mio 300 I just got, I'll get another, then another. They really are the bee's knees for VFR navigation on very little money.

I'm having trouble at the moment with forum member 10.5's Mio 370. Ozi asks for the key every time after a hard reset. Any ideas? The Ozi author is helping me, as he always does. We'll fix it.

The 7" Ebay cheapy that Slarti purchased and loaded the software for me works fine except for the glare/reflection from the screen making the unit almost unusable. I have fitted an anti-glare stickon film (purchased from Ebay) which has improved the screen greatly although still some reflection in different light conditions. If I was buying today I'd go for the 5" screen to minimise reflections and make positioning the unit in the cockpit a little easier. I'd also look for an anti-glare/reflection screen model if possible. Otherwise very happy with Slarti's setup screen views.

Pud

I've just bought this unbranded cheapie on eBay and hoping it will be delivered today so I can catch up with Slarti to have it converted this weekend.

4.3 CAR GPS Bluetooth FM Voice Navigate 4GB OZ seller - eBay, GPS, Electronics. (end time 15-Dec-09 20:13:47 AEDST)

It seems to be pretty good vale for money at less than $130 including postage, but the proof will be in the "pud"ding, so to speak.

Will post some more here when we see how it turns out.

Cheers,

Glen

OK...Have got all this loaded and working on my Mio 370, very impressive so far I must say...

Here is my question though:

"I loaded the MapTrax package of maps onto my PC...When I open a map in OziExplorer I place the cursor on a spot and the co-ordinates given appear correct. Does this mean they are correctly calibrated directly from MapTrax?, and no further calibration is needed? Is the calibration function only for maps you scan yourself?

regards

Jared

Thanks Dexter..

Im just playing with the software at the moment, I only solo'ed a few weeks ago so a bit longer before any nav stuff happens, all my nav has been on the ground with the military, the basics are the same just never had to worry about being blown off course when I was walking he he...

• 3 weeks later...

The "GPS" brand unit supplied by Slarti is working well. Bought the same anti glare film that Pud bought - able to use mine for washing dishes also Pud.

The 7" gives more detail, and I find the glare is no worse than my previous unit - probably what you get for the low dollars.

I decided top get creative and scan a local map.

Loaded and calibrated it in Oziexplorer, and it works fine as a .map file.

Transferred it to the storage card\oziexplorer\maps directory in the GPS, but all I get is "image file not found or could not be loaded"

Any ideas?

First, check the folder configured for maps is correct.

Go to File -> Configuration -> Map & Data Files and check the Map File Path is pointing to where you put the .map file.

Second, as well as the .map file, the calibration process will have created a .ozf3 file with the calibration info in it. Every .map needs a .ozf3 file. Make sure you copied that in with the .map file.

Glad it works well. I was worried about the screen brightness. The Mio units are so much brighter.

Thanks Slarti.

Old Des assumes you know his system, and I found getting off the ground quite hard.

You buy OziexplorerCE, but it doesn't produce a .ozfx3 file

For that you have to download from the Oziexplorer website the Img2ozf converter

Click on Oziexplorer CE

Goto "Imortant information-please read-using maps in ExplorerCE

Goto more information about Img2ozf

Click & scvroll to Download

It will be loaded in your Oziexplorer Directory

Calibrate your scanned map in Oziexplorer

Then click on the Img2ozf icon, set the source diectory and target directory on the PDA/SD Card

And it all happens.

Hi All,

My generic brand Chinese GPS has been working great with OziExplorerCE since the end of last month when I caught up with Slarti.

The only problems I have encountered are with the original SD card that came with the GPS after we tried to put OziexplorerCE onto it alongside the "IGO8" GPS application.

I've given that SD card to an IT friend to try to recover any lost files to try toget that card workable for automotive use again, other than that I can buy a replacement SD card with IGO8 for $35.

It seems that some copyright protection software on that original SD card foiled my attempts to have both IGO and OziExplorerCE on the same 4GB SD card with the aim being to be able to switch between aviation and automotive modes without changing cards.

Oh, and one other thing. when I tried to create a new waypoint, it did not appear to save it properly. I'm guessing I need to use the correct waypoint file name when saving it - which one would that be and how do you select which one the GPS/OziExplorerCE uses, there seems to be a few?

Cheers,

Glen