Cheap navigation - Mio Moov and OziExplorerCE

Cosmick - that's what we like to hear. People saving heaps of money and getting great technology in their rec flying.Warick - I've sent you the Coolangatta VTC (you're in Boonah right?). You can try it out with that - just buy it later if you need it - to keep it legal.

I always stay on my main page - I designed it with everything I need. Pretty close to the one in the first post in this thread.

I did an update of it when setting up Pud's 7" for the new resolution. He hasn't tried it in the air yet, but I'll bet he likes it.

I can send you that too if you want.

Cheers,

Ross

G'day Everyone,

What a great thread this is and the help freely given by Ross (Slartibartfast) is absolutely amazing and very generous - he even wanted to send me back a small amount of excess money he didn't use in purchasing the GPS, software and maps for me. Absolutely astounding - Kudos to you Ross:clap:

I still haven't tried the GPS in the air yet but it works very well as a landbased system in my car, especially after I set it up to select the correct type of route - "fast, short, economical".

I believe you can use the device as a phone by pairing the GPS with your mobile via the bluetooth facility - not sure of the benefits here but there you go (Also has a slot for a sim card but I haven't tried that yet). I have loaded photos onto the 4gb sd card and you can view these as a digital photo frame where the images are displayed one after the other. Also has a music function so you can listen to your favourite music via the included head set or through the inadequate speaker on the rear of the unit. I haven't found out how to play music whilst using the navigation function yet - I suspect it can't be done but hey, waddaya want for such a price!!! Also has a video function. All in all a very good value device and I'll report back here when I use the navigation/gps function in an aircraft.

One happy camper largely thanks to Ross.

Cheers,

Pud

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cosmick - that's what we like to hear. People saving heaps of money and getting great technology in their rec flying.Warick - I've sent you the Coolangatta VTC (you're in Boonah right?). You can try it out with that - just buy it later if you need it - to keep it legal.

I always stay on my main page - I designed it with everything I need. Pretty close to the one in the first post in this thread.

I did an update of it when setting up Pud's 7" for the new resolution. He hasn't tried it in the air yet, but I'll bet he likes it.

I can send you that too if you want.

Cheers,

Ross

HEY ROSS :thumb_up:

Just got back from dinner at the Boonah Bowls club...

I put it in the map you sent and it looks great. I'll be buying a map package for sure.

Where can I download waypoints? (I assume you can?)

I'm still using a demo version.. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif Soon to purchase the full version :big_grin:

I notice my device has a sim card slot too?

I'd definatley appreciate any of your custom pages related to flying.

It was a simple process to put the ozexplorer in and to copy the maps too.

One of the easiest "computer" setups I've done! :thumb_up:

Does one of the pages have an "old school" road to show you are on track if you want? I have not seen it yet...

MANY THANKS!!

Warick . . .

I used the 3 spare pages (as it can show 20) for my checklists... I showed a couple of my pilot mates and they want one too!

Hey Ross, I used text "buttons" do you know is there a way to touch them so they change color as you "check" them?

I'm using your main page you made, with some minor tweaking, it now appears as the 4th page after my checklists...

Wizzard (Warick) . . .

Next thing is to mount it in my Jab . . .

Warick - I can't think of a way to do that. I'll have another look though. What was the tweaking you did? If you made it better I want it :big_grin:

I showed my PPL instuctor during a nav to Albury on Monday. He was most impressed too. I think Des Newman should start paying me a dividend.

Cosmick - I just downloaded it here at work and it was fine. Have another go, but I'll email it to you tonight. Reset the counts - from memory there's a button on one of the screens. I'll have a look.

Slarti,A reminder that Ozexplorer does not give you magnetic bearings or track, true only. I have asked Des about this and he is aware of the issue and is working on a solution.

New one on me Denist. Mine seems right. There are options to show magnetic or true. Remember that the GPS doesn't have a compass, so the current bearing is your track made good. Probably doesn't matter either way. The only use of the current bearing is to align it to the required bearing for the next waypoint.

If I'm navigating DR, or establishing initial track, I use the compass.

The issue is if you have a route loaded the track and bearing are true and not magnetic even though you have set up the page file to be magnetic. I asked Des if you recalibrate the map with magnetic variation (Maptrax maps do not) would the program then display the correct magnetic variation. His answer was

I think there may be an issue with how OziCE handles mag var, I will be investigating it and if there is an issue I will release a fix in the near future.regards

Des Newman

Its OK so long as you know about it

Warick - I can't think of a way to do that. I'll have another look though. What was the tweaking you did? If you made it better I want it :big_grin:

Only minor, changed some of the text on the buttons to red, I think i made some of the buttons slightly smaller..:thumb_up:

Warick .

The issue is if you have a route loaded the track and bearing are true and not magnetic even though you have set up the page file to be magnetic. I asked Des if you recalibrate the map with magnetic variation (Maptrax maps do not) would the program then display the correct magnetic variation. His answer was Its OK so long as you know about it

Ah - I see.

Thanks Denist.

I rarely use a route, so hadn't noticed.

Hi Adrian.I love the HTC phones. I have a Tytn that's probably into it's 3rd year and don't feel the need to change just yet. I use it for internet-in-the-air .

You would have a few options for getting data in. The easiest is probably via ActiveSync. Your phone would have a cradle or maybe just a USB cable to connect to your PC. When it connects, ActiveSync on your PC (or Mobile Device Centre if Vista) should detect it and create a connection. You can use this to transfer files.

The other way would be to use a Micro SD card. Get a card reader for your PC, stick the card in, copy the data. If you install OziCE to the card, just copy straight to the data directory. Otherwise, copy it to the data directory after you stick the card back in the phone.

As for creating the waypoints, you can create them yourself on the phone, or more easily on the PC using OziExplorer there. Even easier - I can give you my waypoint file. There's a few hundred already done.

Cheers,

Ross

Hi Ross, This is my FIRST tome to use the foruam site. I have taken great interst in your answers to question on 7" GST units.

I have just purchased one and would be extremly happy if you could send me a copy of your waypoint file.

I'm sure I will have LOTS of questions, as I have puchased and Installed OziexplorerCE and some maps from Maptrax.

Welcome aboard Upthere.I have sent 2 waypoint files to your email address (which I have access to as site administrator).

If any questions come up, post them here.

Cheers,

Ross

Hi Ross, Thanks for emailing the Waypoints. Only one (or 2) problems.

I have Installed OziexplorerCE and some maps from Maptrax.

Have placed the OziexplorerCE program file on internal memory section

Have made a map folder on the sd card

There is a data fold on both the internal memory section, and SD card.

I have copy/paste the waypoint attachements into both folders, using Active Sync.

the file (All_Wpts.wpt) is shown as 68Kb and will not open on the GPS.

What am I doing Wrong????

PS.. if I open in notepad it show the names and lots of numders.

thanks

I have copy/paste the waypoint attachements into both folders, using Active Sync.the file (All_Wpts.wpt) is shown as 68Kb and will not open on the GPS.

What am I doing Wrong????

Do both files fail to load, or just all_wpts.wpt? I might have sent the wrong copy if just the latter.

Having read this thread over several months with considerable interest, there's a lot of detail to be absorbed.

Is there a consensus for a unit suitable for aviation/marine/street/bush(hiking,4WD etc in local areas?

Colin, in that case there is something else wrong, because mainWays.wpt is definitely right. Allways.wpt I had wrong at one stage because I created that one by massaging a file Maptrax supplied into WPT format.

Please confirm that the .wpt files are stored in /OziExplorerCE/Data and that you are loading them from the "File" menu through:

File -> Waypoints ->Import Wp's from File

then choosing one of the wpt files and hitting OK.

What happens next?

Turbs,

I'd vote for a Mio Moov 300. 360 or 370 if you want Bluetooth. The 4.3 screen size seems more than enough and you can still carry it in your pocket for walking.

I purchased a HP IPAQ 312 which is a PND. It is a superceeded model but it works brilliantly with OziExplorer and PocketFMS. Infinately more readable in sunlight than the Uniden Traxx430 which is unusable in the cockpit. Because it is superceeded they are going cheap too! It has an 800x480 screen so is pretty much double the resolution of the other PNDs.

Hi Ross,

Not sure what i'm doing wrong

Using Active sync

I opened a folder on internal memory of the GPS, called named NANDFlash

Then installed the OziexplorerCE program to that folder.

Then went to \NANDFlash\OziExplorer\Data and copied the files from computer into the data folder.

Opened the GPS, went to waypoint section and selected Import. I selected the file mainWays.wpt then the OK button.

Then selected Allways.wpt then the OK button.

I click on the waypoint name mainways …. Then the list button… it brings up I waypoint called YGLD Goulburn.

I click on the waypoint name All_wpts …. Then the list button… it brings up I waypoint called Adelaide.

I also went to a folder called, storage card, and made a folder called \OziExplorer\Data

Eg \StorageCard\OziExplorer\Data

Opened the GPS, went to waypoint section and selected Import. I selected the file mainWays.wpt then the OK button.

Then selected Allways.wpt then the OK button.

I click on the waypoint name mainways …. Then the list button… it brings up I waypoint called YGLD Goulburn.

I click on the waypoint name All_wpts …. Then the list button… it brings up I waypoint called Adelaide.

I’m really confused, glad I’m not flying in this condition. Ha!

Colin,

I can't see what you are doing when you say "I click on the waypoint name mainways …. Then the list button… it brings up I waypoint called YGLD Goulburn."

Where is the waypoint name displayed?

It sounds like you are importing the waypoints OK (you should import just one of those files - otherwise there will be some overlap), so you should then be able to go File -> Waypoints -> Waypoint List

It should then bring up a list of all the waypoints - where you can then select one and click "Map" or "GoTo" or "Edit" or "Delete" or "Save".

Hi Ross,

I bring up active sync, the computer and GPS are both now recognised

I go to the folder on computer with All_wpts the copy/ paste to the folder NANDFlash\OziExplorer\Data

When doing this a menu on computer comes up with…….

Microsoft ActiveSync may need to convert files when synchronising between your mobile device and this desktop computer.

Note: A converted file might not contain all information found on original file (click OK)

After doing what you suggested, the only file (waypoint) installed is Adelaide.

But the good news is… I am able to enter waypoints and multiple tracks manually (or) by Create waypoint at position.

Many thanks for all your help