The Victorian Fires

Guest ozzie

With the widespread devestation in Victoria i suppose that the chances of Recreational Flying members managing to get thru it without any losses are a bit much to ask. But i am hoping that they all have. My thoughts are with you all.

Ozzie

Would just like to post a comment for the pilots that worked on Saturday..

Amazing stuff seeing them battle it in 80kph winds and the massive thermals while 30-40 feet from the flames, Testicles (and ovaries) the size of watermelons. Top stuff guys and you all deserve the St. George medal.

Gibbo

Hi,

If there is any member getting their aircraft out of harms way of the bush fires and land at The Oaks, Camden or Bankstown, if You PM me first i can pick you up and we have a double bed(that creeks) if you need it. If you are leaving your aircraft i can keep an eye on it for you too.

Bob.

In response to what gibbo said about the pilots, I would just like to back that up. Great stuff guys and girls, from what I have seen on the news, that looks like some of the hardest (and bravest) flying that ive seen someone intentionally put themselves in that situation.

I feel mixed emotions. My heart is hurting for my Australia brothers and sisters lost in these devastating fires, yet I also feel great rage hearing many of these fires were deliberatly lit.

Life in prison to fire bugs. Never to be set free. With all their assets sold off and profits to the people directly effected by fire.

yet I also feel great rage hearing many of these fires were deliberatly lit.

I haven't heard that one yet... but if its true its down right disgusting to think someone would do it... probably didn't know it would be so bad a suppose...i_dunno

probably didn't know it would be so bad a suppose...i_dunno

All the emergency service's were on standby. The premier, All the media, headlines in the papers and radio were advertising the fact it was going to be the worst day in Victorian history on Friday. We were all told to stay at home, get off the roads, don't travel, check the oldies etc.

From what I understand about the fire at Kilmore / Kinglake is that a 'delinquent' dropped a cigarette in the grass and it took off. He had better have the army protecting him!

Gibbo

Guest Brett Campany

My wife and I are watching the coverage and all I can do is feel for my fellow Australians. It breaks by heart to see all of those that have lost homes, friends and family and that some callous person can create so much devastation deliberately.

I hope the hang the mongrol(s) that have done this.

I'm speechless and just wish there was more I could do as a fellow Australian. It seems that making a donation just isn't enough.

My thoughts are with all of you who are dealing with this, be strong and be safe.

I just recieved an email from my boss who is holidaying in NZ in a campervan. he said that yesterday the sky was red and up in the mountains he could smell the smoke from the fires in Vic.

i remember back in the eighties when we had some big fires here they had to postpone the gliding champs in NZ due to the high performance gliders dropping out of the sky due to picking up sinders on the wings and degrading the performance of them.

i notice that there have been very few posts by our regular Vic based members over the last few days.i understand that this may be due to power losses and phone lines being out. But if you are reading this please let us know you are all safe.

Ozzie

i notice that there have been very few posts by our regular Vic based members over the last few days.i understand that this may be due to power losses and phone lines being out. But if you are reading this please let us know you are all safe.

Ozzie

Hi ozzie, safe here so far. I think we are all shell shocked at the shear magnitude of the devastation and loss of life that has occurred so far. Just heard (1100hrs) that for the 1st time since Saturday no communities are under threat but, I think we're all mindful that the fires are not out and praying that they can be contained during the current lull in the weather.

I think it's also due to shock.

A girl from the Environmental group I'm in was to drive home 20 minutes from a meeting Sat, hasn't been heard of since, a lot of cars on that road with bodies, expect a bigger toll, possibly much bigger as police get into the areas. The only chance for her is that she's been taken to a hospital.

People are still coming in (3 days after the fires) to emergency areas from the fire locations, clearly in shock, and injured.

One elderly lady came on ABC to John Faine and asked if she could let her friends know she was OK, because she had been listed as missing. During the conversation she said she'd been told her house had been destroyed, but she had walked out and was OK. She said she had suggested to her husband that they both go but he said there wasn't a threat. "I didn't want to be burned so I walked out" she said "and left him sitting on the verandah"

A little later she said "I lost my house and all my memories and photos, and I lost my dog, but I'm still here, and I want my friends to know that"

The radio went quiet as John Faine, and thousands of listeners realised she had blocked out the memory of her husband.

One guy thought he was the sole survivor of his town as the fire over ran it. He managed to save his house, but his shed and car were destroyed. He suffered burns, but then spent six hours going from house to house, picking up survivors, and as he said, seeing things people should be trained to see. He managed to get a 4x4 started and took about 8 people to safety.

They talked about missing people and one of the group mentioned two little girls "We don't know where they are" he said. "I found them" he said.

I hope he gets a medal.

Guest drizzt1978

One of the fires got within 1km of my parents house, and i was there helping (and ready to get in the dam) Then "Elvis" flew over about 100ft AGL and started working his magic. What an amazing site, I almost teared up. Saved many houses and lives and helped to put out the fire, but several homes were lost. I felt so proud of the pilots; and to be able to watch all the helicopters flying I knew exactly how they were using the wind, and I was amazed at there skills. It Inspired me, and I wish I could use any of my skills to save lives. AS FOR ARSONISTS, WE ARE ALL AGREED........

Turbo,

My thoughts are with that girl and I hope she is found alive. As for that guy who rescued those people I have to admit I teared up while watching his story and It gives you hope that there is still decent human beings ot there.

WELL DONE TO HIM:clap:011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif

No matter how far away we are we are all touched by these fires. I was concerned for my daughter in Beechworth, but she phoned to say she was OK. I couldn't get her on the phone when I tried because the power and phones were out. I have an English relation on holiday in Sydney who may have lost her cousins in the town that burnt right out.

Nothing would be too bad to do to an arsonist.

exclamation.gif.7a55ce2d2271ca43a14cd3ca0997ad91.gif Anybody know the fate of Lilydale and Coldstream airports? If not good, anybody hurt. Heard the fires ran thru the area.Gibbo

The fire came within about 500m to the north of the field at Lilydale. No fires really close to Coldstream airport, but they weren't far away. We flew around the Yarra Valley, and down towards Warrigul, from Lilydale yesterday. Lots of smoke etc near Kinglake, Glenburn Gap and Healesville so didn't go near those spots. Just hoping they get all the hot spots before the next bout of hot weather and North wind.

Guest PeterMJ

Tragic news from Victoria. On a tangent - I visited Warnervale Central Coast NSW over the weekend, and noticed that 3 large waterbombers had parked overnight - probably involved the previous day with the Catherine Hill Bay and Somersby/Peats Ridge fires. It reminded me of yet another reason for trying to salvage our existing airfields from developers.

Guest Maj Millard

I got to see firebombers working a few times in California. They were always part of airshows also, and would do a waterdrop overhead, which would be a light mist by the time it hit you. Great on a real hot day !. The California Department of forestry generally get to use thier planes somewhere, every summer, either in CA or adjoining states.

When I got there, they had DC-7s and Grumman Trackers, and even an old Liberator which I saw fly one time. They retired it shortly after. They then went to Neptunes,C 130s, and Orions, and I think they now have DC-10 waterbombers.

We got to see the Neptunes work a fire one day, and they were pretty efficient and impressive. They jump on fires real quick before they get big. A lot of small country airports will have a firebomber parked, ready to go, at the end of the strip during summer, with support equipment nearby.