**VIDEO** Scott Winton OPEL

Guest keeffe

Any more news on the Opal? Is it still going to be rebuilt?It would certainly be great to see this legendary machine flying again.

Dean is very well advanced on the restoration of the Opal. I could see it being test flown before the end of 2015.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Just wondering about the statement in those articles on Scott's Saphire being the first ultralight to be certified under 95:25.I don't have access to my records over the 95: categories but I'm pretty sure that the TST Thruster was certified under 95:25 and was first to do so hence it being allocated the 25:001 number and the next was the Drifter with 25:002. Not sure who followed after that. Can someone point out if having a seniors moment.

While doing a google on CAO 95:25 i found a report by Bob Llewellyn

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/asrr/submissions/files/221_b_llewellyn_3_feb_2014_redacted.pdf

Talk about duke it out. Naughty boy corner for you Bob. Good on you mate.

The first design under 95.25 was the thruster - Gemini variety - Teh Sapphire was the first of 2 single seat types approved under 95.25. The second single seat was the SV2 Vampire

Good morning all,Am i the only one that would love to see pictures of the restoration progress?

Search Opal in this forum and there are pics of progress on a separate thread

The first design under 95.25 was the thruster - Gemini variety - Teh Sapphire was the first of 2 single seat types approved under 95.25. The second single seat was the SV2 Vampire

OK so the Sapphire was the first SINGLE SEAT type, If you put a TST Thruster and an original Gemini together they would look the same at 30ft but there were many differences between the two The Geminis that are out there now are nothing like when they where first built. All would (or should) have been upgraded.

OK so the Sapphire was the first SINGLE SEAT type, If you put a TST Thruster and an original Gemini together they would look the same at 30ft but there were many differences between the two The Geminis that are out there now are nothing like when they where first built. All would (or should) have been upgraded.

Careful - the direction you are going is a 'there be dragons' route.

95.25 generally did not involve multiple approvals for differing models of the aircraft. TST vs Gemini very uncertain if there are two type acceptance certificates

T300 and T500 similarly not certain if there are two ... and within the T500s there is R532 R582 and R912 engine ...

The older non-certified designed (type acceptance was not type approval as an engineer knows it eg 101.55 Jabirus have type certificates)

As far as the variations on a theme that are the Thruster fleet that is exactly the reason MARAP was needed.

The Thruster Gemini was the first legal certified 2 seat in Australia under BCAR section S.

I know I did the cert flying of the Gemini with Dave Belton as the department (now CASA) would not send ANY of their guys to fly it, but only watch from the ground.

BCAR section S is British. that came later. I worked for David for many years not only for Thruster aircraft but also in the electronics business he ran as well.

Talk to David still occasionally, he ferries Caravans and Dash 8s around the world.

2113423225_gemini1a.jpg.b2923ef48feecbcadf6167940eab520a.jpg

• 2 years later...

Can anybody give me information to get contact with Dean Winton?

I`m writing from Germany and would like to help to finally

restore the Opal Facet before the 30th anniversary of Scott's death

and to exhibit a mockup 2019 in Friedrichshafen at the aero-Expo

(AERO | April 10 – 13, 2019).

Thanks, Stefan.