**VIDEO** Scott Winton OPEL

Guest keeffe

From the man that brought you the sapphire, and the Ultrabat.

Enjoy mike

PS keep an eye out for the lightwing, storch, drifter history that will be comming soon.

i wish his parents would release the plans and moulds of the facet opel so that otehrs could be built. i feel it would be a honour to his memory and design skills to have the opel back in the air. also, i do understand their feelings in not wanting to release the moulds and drawings..

This is brilliant...have typed Scott Winton in to Youtube search several times before and found nothing...It is great to finally be seeing some Australian Aviation History appearing on Youtube...can't wait for more...Here is some other Aussie aviation history in my link...The Schneider Kookaburra, while not as original as the Winton Aircraft is seen in this link.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgFPovdXi84&feature=channel_page

Guest Maj Millard

Has anyone wondered how the hell Scotty Winton took a 503 powered (I believe) 2-stroke, up to the stupid (29 something thousand feet !) altitude with Bing 54s, and no mixture adjustment, to set that amazing UL altitude record ?. The story I got went as follows: he had an onboard breathing oxygen bottle for himself at altitude. He ran a line from that directly into the carb air-filter. Being that oxygen and oil or grease are an explosive mixture, it's amazing the engine just didn't explode !. Maybe it was exploding, and it just kept powering the pistons. I seem to recall hearing that he shut it down and descended with no power ?. I also recall hearing that he thought he could have gone much higher ?.

An amazing historic Australian aviation feat that took huge gonads to pull off. Can anybody else supply more info, or validate the stuff that I have put foward ?...........thanks The Major.

An amazing historic Australian aviation feat that took huge gonads to pull off. Can anybody else supply more info, or validate the stuff that I have put foward ?...........thanks The Major.

Hi Maj,

Shortly after the event a photo of Scott,the Opal and a board with the record altitude writen on it,was on the cover page of an addition of an AUF monthly magazine, I recall the altitude as being 30,180 feet, Someone else might like to confirm my memory or correct it.

Cheers,

Frank.

Guest Maj Millard

30,180 ft out of an air cooled 447 is just simply amazing !!!. I can only wonder at what Scott Winton would have produced later if he had stayed with us !!. He could well have been our Bert Rutan..................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 5 years later...

I just thought I might resurrect this thread I've just read that Dean Winton Scott's brother is trying to restore the Opal to flying condition to complete its original mission a transcontinental east to west flight there is a fund set up if you want to donate .I think it's a worthwhile cause.

• Agree 3

Great pic Ozzie the earlier links on this thread don't work has anybody got links that work or more pics of the Opal

Many Aussies will remember Chris Conroy, who produced his own TV show for many years, called Chris Conroy's World of Boats. Chris also made short documentaries on many subjects and he built quite a number of ultralights. He put some of them on floats and on occasions he used them as camera ships for his TV series.

Here is a documentary that Chris produced about Scott Winton's Opal.

• Like 4

Arthur Marcel, who writes quite a few articles for SportPilot and has a very pointed letter to the Editor (and the Board) in the October 2014 edition, has been assisting Dean, Scott's brother to get some funds together to rebuild this amazing aircraft. I liked the suggestion that Scott was Australia's Burt Rutan which I would rate a great compliment and well deserved.

I never knew Scott even though he was from around here (Central Coast NSW) but wish that I had. His exploits in this amazing aircraft are now stuff of legend and it is to the credit of his brother Dean that he is trying to get the Opal rebuilt. I know I'd travel a very long way to see it fly again and to complete the mission that it was built for.

I readily accepted to act as Treasurer for this project and kicked in the first $50. We need to get the word out to as many aviators as we can so we can cheer this little miracle on its next flight as it crosses the Continent. But, I'm getting ahead of myself here. First it has to be rebuilt and for this we need access to a decent shed somewhere on or about the Central Coast of NSW. And Dean needs some assistance in getting the funds together for the rebuild.

As Treasurer, I've established a dedicated account at the Westpac Bank for the project and will ensure the money collected is well spent. Any ideas people have for sponsorship and fund raising generally would be most welcome. If you want to donate any small ($5) or large amount (sky's the limit), you can deposit directly to:

Opal Restoration

A/c No. 609 627

BSB 032 501

Please identify yourself as depositer - your RA-Aus member number would be OK but name is helpful. And, send me an email ( dar21347 "at" gmail "dot" com ) alerting me to the deposit so I can acknowledge the receipt.

Do we have any aviators masquerading as TV producers for a daytime job? Do you think this might make an interesting program for the mainstream TV networks or Cable Channel? The story of the amateur designer who designs and builds a unique aircraft that smashes world records; the tragic last flight that killed Scott due to a very small part failure and then Dean's tribute to his brother as the phoenix rises from the ashes of its last flight to go on to new world record glory? Scott's and Dean's story is a very moving one and I'm sure a good writer could get this to air. A very Australian Story?

Scott certainly deserves to be on the RA-Aus "Pioneers Board of Honour" and we'll make representations to the Board for that to happen.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Just wondering about the statement in those articles on Scott's Saphire being the first ultralight to be certified under 95:25.

I don't have access to my records over the 95: categories but I'm pretty sure that the TST Thruster was certified under 95:25 and was first to do so hence it being allocated the 25:001 number and the next was the Drifter with 25:002. Not sure who followed after that. Can someone point out if having a seniors moment.

While doing a google on CAO 95:25 i found a report by Bob Llewellyn

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/asrr/submissions/files/221_b_llewellyn_3_feb_2014_redacted.pdf

Talk about duke it out. Naughty boy corner for you Bob. Good on you mate.

Guest Maj Millard
Many Aussies will remember Chris Conroy, who produced his own TV show for many years, called Chris Conroy's World of Boats. Chris also made short documentaries on many subjects and he built quite a number of ultralights. He put some of them on floats and on occasions he used them as camera ships for his TV series.Here is a documentary that Chris produced about Scott Winton's Opal.

An amazing piece of work by Scotty , and an Australian record- breaking classic...............

http://www.fai.org/records

FAI Record Search Results

Tuesday, 12 July 2011 08:48

SUB-CLASS TYPE OF RECORD PERFORMANCE DATE CLAIMANT STATUS ID

C-1a/0 Altitude 9 189 m 1989-04-08 Eric Scott Winton (AUS) ratified - current record 1940

RAL1T Altitude 9 144 m 1989-03-11 Eric Scott Winton (AUS) ratified - current record 159

RAL1T Time to climb to a height of 3 000 m 6 min 46s 1989-03-05 Eric Scott Winton (AUS) ratified - current record 4224

RAL1T Time to climb to a height of 6 000 m 20mn 25s 1989-04-09 Eric Scott Winton (AUS) ratified - superseded since approved 4239

An amazing piece of work by Scotty , and an Australian record- breaking classic...............

Ross,

Could you check if Scott is on the Honour Roll of Pioneers?

Last time I looked there was such a Board in the Board Room at Fyshwick.

And, if he's not there, propose to your fellow Board Members that he should be?

Thanks

Don

• Agree 1