Pip Borrman

Guest Ken deVos

Guest Ken deVos

Pilot killed in plane crash | theage.com.au

A pilot has been killed after a plane crash in Shepparton in north-east Victoria.

The small plane landed in a private paddock and caught fire north of the runway at the Shepparton Airport about 2.30pm, according to a Victoria Police spokeswoman.

An Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman said paramedics went to the scene but the pilot had already died.

There were no passengers in the plane.

More to come

Pilot killed in light plane crash at Shepparton

A MAN has died after the plane he was flying crashed shortly after takeoff at Shepparton airport in Victoria's north.

Police believe the male pilot was the only person in the plane.

The crash happened just north of the runway at Shepparton airport about 2.30pm.

The airport, about 5km south of Shepparton, has two runways and about 18 hangars and caters mainly for private aircraft.

sheppartonclub.jpg.842cd1618fdb5c999cf19452a5570b42.jpg

Another very sad day for everyone, pilots and the public alike. I will miss his performances at every air show that I attend.

What a damn tragedy, in such close succession to the last one in Temora.

Pilot killed in plane crash

A pilot killed in a plane crash in Shepparton in north-east Victoria is believed to be renowned stunt pilot Peter `Pip' Borrman.

Mr Borrman is an internationally regarded aerobatic pilot who was due to perform at the Avalon Airshow in March.

He began flying at the age of nine under the tuition of his father, who was killed while flying a Tiger Moth in 1975.

Shepparton Aero Club committee member Brian Bourke said he believed Mr Borrman was practising his routine for the international show when his plane's motor stopped.

"He was a very safety-conscious pilot, really good at his aerobatic manoeuvres and meticulous in everything he did,'' Mr Bourke said.

Mr Borrman is survived by his wife Janet, a daughter and son who Mr Bourke said flies F-18s for the airforce.

"I would say just about anyone who flew would know (Pip) or know of him,'' he said.

Mr Borrman spent his teenage years as an avid pilot and according to his website, flew into town to take his driving license test when he was 16 years old.

The small plane he was flying landed in a private paddock and caught fire north of the runway at the Shepparton Airport about 2.30pm, according to a Victoria Police spokeswoman.

An Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman said paramedics went to the scene but the pilot had already died.

There were no passengers in the plane.

An eyewitness said the plane was performing stunts before it crashed.

Janet Granger-Wilcox was driving into Shepparton on the Goulburn Valley Highway when and a colleague spied an aircraft that looked like a "little Red Baron plane'' flying loop-the-loops just above the runway.

"We thought, `Gee, he's flying pretty fast and close to the ground','' she said.

"He was doing one loop-the-loop and then went to do a second loop-the-loop but he didn't come back up.

"The plane was emitting white smoke so it was hard to see what was happening ... then we drove about 60m down the road and saw a huge plume of black smoke and flames and we couldn't believe what we were seeing.''

David Angus was working on a railway line near the airport when he saw the red plane complete a loop-the-loop about 60 metres above the runway.

"He was just coming in to land and I thought he was a bit low,'' Mr Angus said.

"I heard a spluttering, it sounded like he accelerated hard, and then I heard a bang, saw some black smoke and a flame and then the plane just dropped,'' he said.

"I saw more smoke and rang triple 0.''

Mr Angus said small planes had been landing and taking off from the airport throughout the day.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau will not be investigating the accident because the pilot was performing aerobatics at the time of the crash in an amateur-built aircraft.

An ATSB spokesman said aerobatics were a "higher risk operation than flying a standard aircraft''.

"We have limited resources like most organisations and we need to target the investigations that return the greatest safety benefit to he public,'' he said.

pip.jpg.13021dc73f206b09f359e8815b9fd2da.jpg

Guest Brett Campany

A very sad day indeed, thoughts go out to all of Pip's friends, family and his fans.

Thanks for the entertainment Pip, you'll be sorely missed......

Vh-pip

What a sad loss for the Greater Shepparton community, Pip was not only a great ambassador for flying but also for Shepparton, he was a great pilot and a top bloke, I will always have very fond memories of the times I saw him fly. Deepest sympathy to his family, friends and all at Shepparton airfield. Clear skys and microloops Pip.

My partner is not into aircraft. her interest is limited to being able to name some of the aircraft that fly over the house, took her a few goes to get the difference between the sound of a tiger moth and westpac rescue. A few years ago i was astounded who she agreed to go to Narromine to see the Wright Flyer Replica. She did a good job of showing interest but i knew she was faking it. That was until Pip put on his show, i think i spent more of the time during his performance looking at the expressions on her face. she even stood and applauded at the end. the trip home was just a non stop questions. how did he do that and this and talk all at the same time what's that white stuff. for the first time in our long relationship my lady at last has taken a real interest in what i have been doing nearly all my life. this will be how i remember Pip. he has made a tight relationship even tighter. Thanks Pip.

Going to be hard to tell her of his tragic demise.

Ozzie

Guest pelorus32

This is pretty bloody devastating. My thoughts are with Janet, I cannot imagine how tough this is for her.

I loved Pip's company, he was such a dry bastard, he'd say something and wait for the bite with a twinkle in his eye.

He was such a safety conscious pilot, not afraid to stand someone up and tell them when he thought their airmanship was lacking. Always ready to give support and encouragement to young pilots.

I remember one day, putting the ailerons on the Samson. It was a pig of a job. Each of us at one stage or another walked away to cool off and then come back for another go. The banter was pretty fierce and we all had fun. Pip was the kind of guy who always had a grin ready to pop even when doing a job like that.

I value having known Pip and it really sucks that he's dead, it really bloody sucks.

Mike

Guest Maj Millard

Superb video, great tribute to a special aviator. A very sad loss for us all.

Was lucky to meet Pip when he visited Hamilton Island a couple of years ago to do a few shows. We put VH-PIP in the hangar and gave him a hand to clean plugs, plus a few other little things he needed to do after his ferry from Victoria. His wife and daughter joined him there, and I'm sure they spent quality family time on the Island between his performances. He talked about how excited he was about getting Samson going. Just top people all round, and I was struck by how friendly and open Pip was as a person, and so unassuming.

The day he left he bought in two cartons of beer for the hangar, which wasn't expected, but a great gesture anyway, and probabily typical of the man. Just feel rich for having meet the Borrmans, and to have seen Pip perform his masterfull aerobatic displays. Pip without doubt goes on my list with other really great aerobatic performers I have been lucky to watch over the years. They are Bob Herrenden, Leo Loudenslanger, Art Scholl and Jimmy Franklin. Rare company Pip, we will miss you both as a performer, and as a person. My deep condolences to Pips family.

R.I.P Pip You will be dearly missed

My Dad grew up with pip and went to school together. I love hearing the stories that the old man has of the things the pair got up to in their younger years. I had the pleasure of meeting pip on numerous occasions and you honestly couldnt meet a nicer bloke. Many airshows round the country won't be the same.

Our condolences to his family

Matt Mckenna

Guest drizzt1978

At many airshows my heart would stop, I would get such a fright in one breath and such amazement in another, at what he did....Very upsetting....