Recreational weight increase...

Guest Biggles Jr

Guest Biggles Jr

Hey...

just wondering if any one knows anything about the RAA weight increase. I can't find and haven't heard anything on it in a while...

Thanks

just waiting on CASA to get off their lazy arses and sign off on it, the same bill includes the CTA endorsement..

In early Jan, CASA told us it would be done by end of Jan, now its 4 moths later and still no sign.

Guest ozzie

January of what year? come on you did not really belive them did you.? the only thing that they are qood at is putting aviation on a leash.

See the notice I put on the RA-Aus notice board today. The following is the first few paras.

John Brandon

April 6, 2009: Changes to CAOs 95.10, 95.32 and 95.55

It appears that promulgation of the proposed CASR Parts 103 and 149 (see earlier notices) may be delayed for at least one year, possibly two years. Subject to CASA legal drafting advice the CASA project team is proposing to now incorporate a number of publicly consulted standards (that are proposed for Part 103) by amending the CAOs 95.10, 95.32 and 95.55 (plus others not associated with RA-Aus operations). RA-Aus will then continue to operate under CAOs (rather than CASR Parts 103 and 149) for quite some time.

The proposed CAO amendments of interest to RA-Aus members are:

1. Extend the range of aircraft covered by CAO95.55 by raising the weight limit for all aeroplanes to 600 kg for landplanes and 650 kg for seaplanes — where a certification standard does not limit them to a lesser weight. A weight increase to 750/760 kg will not be implemented in CAO95.55.

2. Removal of the 5000 feet altitude limitation.

3. Access to controlled airspace on the basis of an RA-Aus qualification instead of relying on a CASA licence as evidence of competence, or the granting of a specific CASA permission.

4. CAO 95.10 to be amended so that operators of these aeroplanes have access to the same privileges as pilots of other RA-Aus aeroplanes whilst retaining restrictions on operation of such aeroplanes that relate to the safety of third parties.

Guest ozzie

I mean really how can a time frame of one maybe two years be justified.

When you see just how fast changes are handled in the US and Europe it is down right criminal to delay them this long. .

Ozzie

This should get a good airing in one of the Forums @ Narromine.

How would you likje to be the poor guy at CASA that is designated to attend and present at Natfly ............ short straw, do you reckon?

I wonder if he will get to choose the pineapple size...................087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

Bet that won't take 1 - 2 years .............. and whoever draws the straw will then get the flu & a Doctor's chit in just 1 - 2 days.

Guest basscheffers

The 5000ft limit, is that a limit of the aircraft registration, or our pilot certificate? (i.e.: if you also have a PPL, can you take an RA-Aus registered plane above 5000?)

Its the pilot certificate I believe. Can't remeber the exact wording (and can't be stuffed looking it up right now), but you are only allowed above 5000ft AMSL if its required for flight saftey (ground clearance etc).

The 5000ft limit, is that a limit of the aircraft registration, or our pilot certificate? (i.e.: if you also have a PPL, can you take an RA-Aus registered plane above 5000?)

It's a limitation on the aircraft registration - see for example CAO 95.55, paragraph 5.1 (exemptions subject to flying below 5000 feet, except for the "unable to land" provision).

Guest brentc

This is the exact reason why I got my PPL over 5 years ago, because I couldn't see CTA endorsements coming in RA-Aus any time soon. It's not just a couple of years, it's been talked about for near on 6 now which is rather frustrating.

Changes to regulations take time. In the corporate world it can take us many months to change the smallest of things in large organisations that I work in so I'm not surprised that this is taking so long.

Guest ozzie

Maybe the RAAus will let CASA know that we are all waiting for them in the 21st century. boy what a ripoff

It will not affect the CASA blokes who go to Narromine. I have sat in on their talk before and they treat it all as a joke. I think they see RAAus as a load of country bumkins, at least that is the impression they gave me when I talked to them later.

Guest Cloudsuck

I always suspected that the new privileges were a carrot dangled to get us to agree to ADSB. We blocked ADSB and they.... well, you know.

I believe R-A is partly to blame for casa dragging it's feet. R-A is trying to get too much through at one time. R-A should get through weight increase and 5000 ft restrictions first. These are what we need most I feel. Control Airspace you can get with a PPL,and pushing for control airspace endorsement without a class 2 medical reqd is just dumb.No wonder casa is dragging their feet.

Guest ozzie

I'd like to know just how many people have put their plans on hold whilst waiting for this mess to be sorted out. i have been wanting to buy a kit and start building over a year ago but don't want to get caught out by not being able to operate it to it's full design potential. feeling pretty annoyed at having my life controlled by others who can't sort this out so everyone can move forward.

CASA seems to be a retirement home for aviation has beens.

Ozzie

Guest Crezzi
Control Airspace you can get with a PPL,

Getting a PPL would also remove the height restriction and gets you a much larger weight increase !

Cheers

John