All Jabiru Owners

Burlc

For me the problem is with the bucket. Closed cell foam from a chopped up cheap camping mattress, 8 layers cut to fill up the bucket. With that is OK for (so far) 7:25.

Edited to clarify, that is longest airborne, not total time.

Just after some idea's on what you guys use to make those uncomfortable,back acking seats comfy for those long flights.

Nothing but the standard upholstery.

Have done a 12 hr day in one and they are fine for me .... and I'm 6' 3".

Guest Andys@coffs

I went to clarks rubber and got some 1" hard foam and some 2" memory foam. used amounts of both to build up the base and make the back (which is too low at the top) less painful in digging in. I also have a lump of foam available to me when flying so I dont have the trim lever digging into my leg.... Not perfect but the best I can do.

The seats are the thing that if allowed to ask for just one improvement for my 230 I would focus on...but as captain says, fine for him. Without the foam my back discomfort was the limiting factor as to how long in a single stretch I could fly. 4:30hrs is about the limit with any subsequent same day segments not reaching that far.

Andy

We had a motor trimmer mould some dense foam in the seat bucket and he then covered it in material and we also had pump up lumbar supports fitted to the seat backs for those long flights. Made them comfy.:thumb_up:

Brian

• 1 year later...

Just reviving this thread to see if anyone else has any ideas as to making the seats a little more comfortable as the better half has complained about the hardness of the Jab seats. I am ok with them but I was wondering if the sheepskins make them more comfortable or as suggested, the foam inserts do the trick. If anyone else has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

G'day all,

I seem to be okay with the standard supplied fitments although my longest single stretch of flying so far is 1.40. Currently in winter, my instructor uses his thick jacket (the ones that make you look a bit like Michelin man) folded up behind him to add a little more support, comfort and warmth; when he doesn't need to actually wear it.

Cheers,

Can get special seat foam - "Confor" just for the job

Expensive though - $50 a seat, responds to heat and goes soft where your body touches it. Works very well.

Jabiru had some at Natfly and were selling it, makes a big difference

Theres a guy in WA (Specialty foams??) who imports and can cut you some but hes no cheaper

I also stuck in a small piece of cheap normal foam in the lumbar spot

We were throwing out a couch. I took one of the cushions and cut it down the middle to make it thinner then trimmed it so that it fits in the jab. So this is basically a piece of foam that is about 2 inches thick. Works well so far although it isn't very pretty :-)

Jabiru have Booster Seats avaialble which are foam with covering to match the upholstery of your seats.

They are comfortable (3 to 4 hour trips quite ok) and are great for those who are not so tall.

Made to your colour requirements, delivery is about 2 weeks.

When we went to Temora, I got Mum to take a cushion just incase she gets a sore back. Well she used it from the start, so didn't know any difference, but it was ok for her there. Would have been almost 6hrs in it in the day.

I don't seem to have any issues, though I have tried a cushion once, but it just made it a little tight length ways. As I'm about 6'.

Foam would be your best bet I reckon. Or just a small pillow/cushion.

Seats

I went to Bunnings and bought two padded seat covers that are designed for out door settings. They fit like a glove on Jab seats and provide the extra padding needed. They look good and are priced at about $15 each from memory.keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

I've tried a few of the solutions listed here, then a friend lent me his motorcycle air-pad thingy: Airhawk cushion with adjustable air inflation and multiple cells

It's just brilliant and can be easily set to suit different weights and sized bums. I do one particular 5 hour flight every 2 weeks - and now have no problem with 'flat-spots'.

I got onto some of that blue exercise mat. You can get in 10 to 12mm thick, or about 19 to 20 mm thick. This stuff is very dense, and when put under the standard seat cover it works very well. It solved my knumb bum problems. Takes about 5 minutes to cut and fit. I got some from one of the cheap jack shops to try out, and it has been there ever since.

Worth a try!!

Harthy

I got some from one of the cheap jack shops to try out, and it has been there ever since.Worth a try!!

Harthy

Probably why I don't have a problem then... :big_grin:

A subject very close to my heart - I solved the comfort thing in my Jab 230 by buying en Evektor Sportstar insteadCheers

docjell

With the Jab you get there faster hence you are not in the seat for so long.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

JR