RAAus - Time to first solo

Guest pelorus32

For Ab Initio Pilots: How many hours did you take to first solo?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. For Ab Initio Pilots: How many hours did you take to first solo?

Went solo yesterday morning in a J170 here are Kingaroy. Took me a bit over 10hrs and I believe learning in the jab is very challenging but really making me learn and ensuring I am disciplined about everything.

I'm lucky though, 4 weeks off work, came down here a week ago and have just got stuck into it every day. I have also been unusually lucky with the weather (touch wood), which is not normal for me.

I must say though, I picked up a lot of useful tips from these forums! :thumb_up:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Mate 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif 011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

The day will be a day you will never forget - tell us more - create a new thread and tell us how it happened, what was going through your mind as you were going around, what happened when you landed, any hints to others etc etc etc

• 1 month later...

Time to solo

Hi All,

I don't fit the survey profile either, and I am happy to see the advice given, and also how it has been received by the newer pilots. Tony Hayes did a good job with his posts, and ended by saying that there is so much more, in many different areas, that he did not touch upon. Notice he didn't put an estimate on the average hours of that knowledge which he knows - is left? Because our knowledge should keep increasing until we die. (puts in place the little knowledge & ability a brand new Pilot Certificate holder has doesn't it?)

My thought to pass on is this - how many pilots do we personally know that we wonder (even to ourselves) how they passed their tests, due even to a point as seemingly insignificant as lacking self confidence, yet taking on more than they should?

Tony's point re- (good air to start flying training in) - excellent advice. It can be likened to the "Datum point" on a blueprint, which is the point where all measurements and construction begin. If this is followed, the thing blueprinted will work, but if not followed, can - if it works - hold nasty surprises down the track.

There is no point in going solo as early as you can, you are better off gaining as much knowledge & ability from your instructor as you can, before you do.

Cheers,

Nezzie

• 3 weeks later...

I think one overlooked factor is communication. If the instructor doesn't explain what standard of competency and performance they are expecting, the student doesn't know if he/she is there.

Often the student thinks they are ready, but they can't maintain the centreline on a landing, they can't or won't hold a consistent speed for approach and wander all over the sky anywhere between 800agl and 1200agl on downwind.

When the performance criteria are laid out clearly and exactly, and a safe attitude to controlling the aircraft is taken, progress is made and everyone is happy.

I still think too much emphasis is placed on when you go solo, and sometimes unintentionally by a well meaning club member. "You've got how many hours and you're not solo yet?"

When you are competent and safe, you and the instructor should both be happy to let you loose.

As far as 20 hours minimum for RA-Aus cert, I tell people that is a minimum, and they should expect anything up to 40 hours!

Age has an influence, but often the maturity of kids works against them.

Bottom line, we are all individuals, students, instructors, young or old and there can be no one answer that suits us all.

By the way, love the stability angle Tony, so true, if we set the aircraft up and trim, we can relax and enjoy flying so much more.

One last point, I really work hard to make sure people are relaxed, you can't control an aircraft if you are choking the stick with a death grip!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All great reading

I soloed around 10 hours completed my training in 8 days with radio and xcountry endorsments got pax dead on 30 hours 1 month later.

flew halfway across a continent brought plane flew back to Darwin then onto Brisbane and have 75 hours in under 6 months.

Havent flown for six months but hoping to get home and do a checkride before flying again..

My instructor made me fly the plane from getting in at zero hours what agreat experience it has been.

I aggree that 20 hours is not long enough.

Cheers

Well I suppose I could add my bit now Hey!!

I went solo in the wire braced 503 Drifter at around the 18.5-19 hr mark, I wasn't really fussed on going solo early on in the piece, I only just felt ready when I did anyway...

Flying itself was good, just mastering the nice straight take offs, and landings, which in the Drifter you get blown around pretty easily if you hit a gust of wind or the like...

And then mastering the engine failure's on take off, and trying to land it properly without stalling 10ft off the ground from not pushing the nose over fast enough!!

I've now done about 1.5hrs solo flying, mostly circuits and landings, you can only do so much in the 5 mile radius!!

So yeah, Look out Here I come...!!:thumb_up: (in the near future that is)

Safe flying:big_grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to all ,

Had the experience on Monday at Aldinga in Sportstar , for the record was in 11 hrs , have been blessed with the weather , good instruction and probably the most important thing , a very stable little training aircraft.

Thanks to all who have assisted

Regards

Bacchus " Life is too short to drink bad wine "

Guest Pop-top

Great job! that's very quick.

do you have one Instructor or many? and can I ask who you've had so far?

It's a great airfield and school! :)

Hi Jodie , Many thanks

My situation with work can be very random as far as time free to fly, so it is not unusual for me to call up and slot in where I can.

So Far

Steve 3 hrs

karl 3 hrs

Leo 1 hr

Wayne 3 hrs

Ryan 1 hr

Had another hour with Karl at 0900 this morn , best air ever would love to have gone

out over Normanville way but was stuck on circuits.

Have 3 sessions booked with Karl next week , want to plough through it

if I can while I have the time.

Don't know if many instructors help ?? but has not bothered me.

Take Care

Bacchus " Life is too short to drink bad Wine "

I liked limiting the instructors until I started the navs so I was mainly with Steve and Ryan thought there was a smattering of Leo and Wayne. I did my PSLs with Karl but that is it.

Are you back at Aldinga now Jodie? Been flying?

Guest Pop-top

Hi Guys,

Bacchus; I have to say that I love the flexibility of being able to go with different Instructors. In fact I think I prefer it. One Instructor will explain something one way and it will sink in but then another Instructor explains some thing else in a slightly different method or context and then that one best sinks into your noggin'. so you always get the best of all worlds. Normanville flights are just awesome :big_grin: cant wait to fly to KI one day soon.

Thx1137; Yes, Back at Aldinga :thumb_up: I never flew any where else, but I frequently visit my family in Melbourne. I might have a random lesson there later on (Tyabb, Morrabbin or Tooradin) but I'll wait til I get my PPL for that I think. I have a Nav this sat at 2pm so I'm very excited...hope it's a solo!

I did my KI trip a few weeks ago. Just before the weather got bad. The weather forecast looked marginal but doable but when I got half way there and saw it for real it looked like I could get there but may not have been able to maintain VMC getting back so aborted it. The following week was better.

I am on at 1pm so I may see you there :-) I am/was? just getting some things signed off so I don't know if there is more to sign-off on, whether I am doing another nav or what. I am getting more nervous now that there isn't much more to go :-)

Steven.

Guest Pop-top

I'm sharing the nerves but it sort of feels like a long time coming for me, at the same time. My lessons can be few and far between (due to finance).

So... 3 more exams and then some solo nav's and prove my capabilities I guess then Rec license and passenger endorsement here I come :big_grin:

I usually get to lessons early and will definitely be hanging round more often when the sim is installed, so might see you.

Guest Pop-top

Yes indeedy, it wasnt a typo :big_grin:

very exiting! ask Gaylene about it on Saturday. I'm flying with Leo this weekend, do you know who you are with?

Ryan at this point. There might be more to sign-off, if so I expect we will be doing that otherwise I know Steve wanted me to do a nav with "3 or 4 diversions" in it. (cringe!)

Not much sight-seeing time I expect!

• 7 months later...

Time to 1st Solo.

In the services, IF you didn't solo by a certain time, you were scrubbed. I suppose in that situation there has to be a limit. I don't believe that it has a great bearing on the final outcome in most cases. I also cannot see any point in pushing someone into the air with really minimal skills. What does that prove? If a low hours pilot scares him/herself or worse damages the plane and gets hurt. They may give up flying altogether when this outcome is totally unnecessary as their confidence is not there. I have had students who get overly concerned about when they are going to solo, if the hours are a bit more than what they expected.. Better to go along and when you are ready it will just happen. A lot depends on how weather and continuity have worked out with your lessons.

Re changing instructors. I believe that all things being equal and you and your current instructor are getting on well, you should stick with ONE instructor until solo plus a few hours of consolidation if you can. If it doesn't end up happening that way, it is not the end of the world and in the long run you probably benefit from the exposure, In the worst case a bit of unnecessary confusion can occur. Nev

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi Guy's,

I,ve been reading through his thread and I found it most interesting. So many points of view and all valid. I might as well add my own five cents worth.

I did my PPL licenece at 18 in Switzerland . Prior to learning to fly the "big" one's I flew control - line planes from about 9 and R/C from about 11 years. I did this very well and won a few tropy's . This gave me a "headstart" when taking up flying. I trained on the AS 202 Bravo - a 2/3 seat A/C roughly similar to the Victa Airtourer and also aero capable. I had 6 hours total time when I went solo and did three touch and goes with the fourth being a full stop. Converted to C-150/152 at 16 hours and Piper L4 at 31hours. Had Pax and X-counrty in the"bag" at 36 hours ie: all done. Then went on to accumulate another 65 hours before moving to Aus at 20. Then licenece conversion and aero endorsement on Decathlon VH-MMM and with a total of 122 hours stopped flying for 24 years. Started in RA 2007 and haven't looked back since.

I do think that age has a lot to do with how long it takes. As we get older it takes a bit longer to learn new tasks as we're more set in our ways.

fly safe

Walter

I am on my 17th hour. Last time my instructor mentioned that I might be ready for solo soon. However it has been mostly nice calm weather so far and the main goal for me was to keep from balooning or bumping at flare ups. Yesterday though was a diferent game. 5-7 knts gusting crosswind. Well, now I know much more about side sliping into the wind and crossed controll technique but the landings were mostly assited and hard. Couple missed approaches. I actually asked the instructor to do couple extra landing because of the weather so I can learn more. Completely agree that more experiance in bad weather helps to fly solo sooner. I am not in a hurry and will spend as much time as I need to get a hold of this stick and rudder trick or in my case yoke and rudder :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure I agree with the statement more time in bad wx helps solo sooner..

As a general rule of thumb, 1 hour in bad conditions can put a student back 3 hours.

Have seen this happen repeatedly.

Its not a race, take the time, soak it in, and enjoy.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Caithness

Solo Time vs Airmanship

Time to Solo is clearly not a competition - your safety and competency is paramount.

Poor weather will have a major bearing on it. I've had students who could easily have gone solo on a dead calm day, but were still incompetent in X-winds. That doesn't mean "stupid", it just means "not competent". Consequently several weeks could pass with poor weather for solo, but great for other training, so the syllabus can be pushed further whilst waiting for the right moment.

Other factors around confidence and personality (human factors) can have a major influence, despite a student being apparently competent in all other things bar landing the damn thing!

Personally I'm an ab initio RAAus pilot who went solo at 18 hours and won my wings at 37 hours. I might have shaved 2 - 3 hours off those times with better weather as I did all this training during the winter months of 2001 at Murray Bridge across 5 instructors. I distinctly remember the first calm conditions when I could actually sense the a/c respond to my slightest input. Multiple instructors were not a hindrance, but a benefit, though some students who can't handle a lot of changing styles might not agree. In all I've had 8 different instructors in the RH seat.

Now a Senior Instructor with 340+ hours up, I've seen some people go solo in under 12 hours and some take nearly 30 hours. Different a/c will also have a bearing - a Skyfox Gazelle should be easier than a Jabiru or a Texan for example without flaps to worry about.

Our licences are just an early first step in a continuous learning process if we are to remain safe. That's one reason I decided to take up the Instructor rating - you learn even more by teaching something! Students ask the damndest questions!

Safe skies to all.....

Paul Smith, MBLAFS.:rotary:

• 3 weeks later...

So when does it come to a point where the instructor has to make a decision to either:

A. Get another instructor to have a crack at progressing the student along.

B. Sit the student down and advise that aviation simply isn't for them.

50 hours? 80?

I'd be worried and wouldn't fly with anyone that took more than 40 hours to go solo.