What do you do for a living?

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

I thought it would be interesting to get to know what some of the fellow flyers on here do for a crust. I know we can see what people may do under their profile but it often still leaves a big:;)5: over our heads.

I can start it I guess. I am sure that I have one of the strangest jobs in the world. I am govt contractor/forensic contractor.Basically we attend scenes of often violent deaths and are incharge of conveying the deceased(s) to one of Sydneys two morgues being Glebe or Westmead.We attend scenes such as murders,suicides,road accidents,avaition accidents or anything that is going to become a coroners case. From there we transport under the direct supervision of the NSW Police/NSW Police Crime Scene Unit (Forensic Services). It is a very demanding job both physically and mentally and can at times we can work extremely long hours. Ok, enough about that how about YOU??

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pelorus32

Commercial director in Victoria for a large national IT services company: I manage all the pricing/margin/legal/risk stuff and do any complex negotiation that's needed.

Mike

Guest David C

I was a telecomms engineer for 32yrs , both in Britain , working for British Telecom, the last 13 yrs of my telecom life was spent with Telstra here in Australia . I saw the light some 5 years ago and got out . I decided the time was right for a complete change of direction ( some may say a mid life crisis ), and decided on a job that would give me job satisfaction and a certain level of fulfillment . I now work for the local health service , and I transport patients who require critical care between hospitals . It is both demanding physically and emotionally , and like Darren I also have long work hours , a 14hr day is not that uncommon . We provide a 7/52 service between 0700hrs and 2230 hrs . I am lucky in that I have the best work mates around , we support each other all the time ........ Pity about the management though !!! .

Ever wondered why the best flying weather is always when your're working ? ...... Funny that !!

Guest AusDarren

I run an appliance repair business.

mostly in home repairs to Washers Dryers Dishwashers fridges and Cookers (both Gas & Electric).

It keeps me busy.. (mostly)

just not really lucrative enough to have a passion for aviation..

;)

I probable don’t have to tell you however I am a Pastor in Holbrook looking for a new placement.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />Don

What do I do for a living.....well, I can say running this site takes more time then any one other thing I do but that doesn't make me a living, in fact costs so to pay for that I do database and website development, Project and Program Management, establish Project Management Offices for corporates all around Australia like Port Macquarie:laugh: and sometimes I get more then 5hrs sleep:confused::confused::confused:

I am going home for the weekend HOORAY 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif 011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif 011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif 011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif 011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif Watch out Corrine 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I have retired from a life of initially working with livestock, then inthe construction industry, mainly building concrete chimneys, then with civil engineering consultants as a tecnnician.

Chris I have a disabled Wife and I need to devote a little more time to her however I will still be preaching Just can't stop the truth must be told, Don:)

I am an Aircraft Structures engineer for BAE Systems In Williamtown, working on Hawks and Hornets. previous to that, 11 Yrs as the same in Qantas, but with 6 yrs as a Composites Structures engineer. i also run a Super Fund for a few clients, and have worked for myself in the transport industry driving for quite a few Music companies, delivering Master CD's and DVD's to head offices and the CD factories.

fortunatly i only work 4 days a week now, and mid year next year will go back to Uni to Finish my Aeronautical engineering degree.

I work for a relatively new company www.datadotdna.com that manufactures microdots for marking high value assets like motor cars and motorcycles;wehaven't done light aircraft yet - but it makes some sense..

The job allows me to travel overseas a lot - but only in the insulated environment of the big silver birds.. But on extended stays, I have done some local U/L flying - eg in Seattle, USA.

I started my working life as a Airframe fitter in the Airforce. Served in 2ocu williamstown, 75sqn butterworth, 2ad richmond. Served 9 years. Moved to Cloncurry on discharge and worked as a diesel fitter on diesel locos (railway). Moved to Sarina to work on elect. locos (coal trains). Sick of shift work so am now a facilites officer (janitor) in a large high school in Mackay. House is on the market. Will be moving to our block at Gatton Airpark soon. Have built a hangar and will start building our house soon. Have the option to buy a Allegro as soon as house sells. Jimbo

Guest Fred Bear

I was just reading about airparks in the latest RAA mag. Something to do in retirement (I hope). That's a fair way off for me though ;) Interesting mix of jobs too.

That is our airpark in latest Mag. My hangar is the one furtherest along the strip. It will be semi retirement. Will still have to work to pay for hobby. I am just starting out with flying. We had our first fly in for breakfast in Oct. Had 42 visiting aircraft. Even one all the way frpm Mackay. 31 blocks sold on our side of the strip. They are now going to develop the other side. I am really looking forward to moving and getting started. Jimbo

OK, for those that have wondered what makes me tick....

Out of High School (16) I applied to join the RAAF as an apprentice 'framie', but was knocked back for my educational levels. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

I was told however that I would be accepted at that level if I tried again at 17 as an Adult trainee. :confused:

Thought about redoing my last year of school, but was offered to try out as a Cadet Draftsman for an engineering company. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Unfortunately with absolutely no experience in the real world, this was short lived. :;)1:

I held down two jobs over the next nine months, firstly at an industrial radiator assembly company, then at a wheat handling machinery manufacturer. (threshers, hoppers and the like)

I joined the RAAF :big_grin: at 17 and did Rookies at Edinburgh, Trainee Fitters at Wagga and then discovered that Airframe Fitters only change the parts and accessories that have failed or been broken.

The trade that actually gets involved with building and repairing the structural part of an aircraft are the Aircrfat Sheet Metal Workers, so I opted for that. ;)

I was eventually posted to Richmond and worked at a repair depot, 2AD, repairing, modifying, rebuilding and updating C130's, CT-4's, Caribou's, Macchi's and the odd Kiowa (Jetranger) and Nomad for the Army.

Thinking I was about to get married and not wanting to be posted every 4 years, I got out of the RAAF with the hope of being a Sheet Metal teacher at TAFE.

While waiting for an intake, I worked as a Tool Storeman at a TAFE colledge, handing out tools and material to a whole lot of useless deadbeats. 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Time for a change. :;)3:

I knew I could draw and didn't want to work in a cold draughty hangar, so I started an Architectural Drafting Degree, but after three years I found I didn't really want to sit in a closed office staring at a drawing board (pre computers!) so gave up and went back to working on aeroplanes. 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Spacifically, I started working for the company that was then building the Sadler Vampires :big_grin: where I was reintroduced to ultralights.

I had watched ultralights at ST Marys' in the early eighties and was horrified at the lack of knowledge of both building and flying that I saw, from a glider pilots point of view. :ah_oh:

Since Vampire, I have worked for a general aviation maintenence company at Bankstown, around the last 17 years. :;)2:

Now 48 and having built a couple of my own ultralights, I'm setting off on a new venture to manufacture and sell ultralight kits, and to that end am going through the tribulations of buying a block of land near an airport, and erecting a hangar and house. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

This process has taken nearly three years so far, but I think there's light at the end of the tunnel. :;)3:

Watch this space. :)

Arthur.

Good on you Arthur great to see another australian having a go although not knocking the imported stuff I believe that australians can do better so my hat off to you smiley32.gif;)0.gif

Don

Guest Vigilant

Hi guys, left school at 15 without finishing year 10 and took up an agricultural apprenticeship on the family dairy farm. Completed my trade certificate in agriculture and took a year off traveling and working overseas. YAY not another year in school, or course to be taken ..............

Married life and two kids put the pressure on and after trying to make a crust off the farm, working as a stock agent and stocking shelves at Coles of a night joined the RAAF as a policeman. Did my rookies at Edinburgh, police training at Amberly and then on to Darwin where I served until I discharged in 1992.

Joined the police in Tassie where I have been ever since, working country, traffic, general duties, search & rescue and now a Detective working out of the Devonport office on the NW coast. Long hours, but the diversity is good and SOMETIMES we get the bad guys put away for a long time. The interesting thing is I have never stopped learning or doing courses!!!

What you might call a jack of all trades with just enough knowledge to be dangerous at all!

I'm a GP who got sick of the rat race and I now do rural and remote locums. when I can I fly myself to the jobs -- based in SA I have flown to Narromine, Nyngan, Broken Hill, Leigh Creek, Port Augusta......

It is a great way to get to work.

currently working in North queensland so have left the little bird at home

Peter