Why do lots of people like Tecnams

Oh yes they are truly wonderful aircraft, such sleek lines and great performance, really good at short field and also high cruising speed with good fuel economy, nice comfortable seating and i particularly like the pusher prop configuration.

Oops sorry wrong aircraft!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like flying the tecnams but as said above, they do seam to get surface corosion fairly early in their airframe life. ps- i read the tests on the brumby in a couple of magazines- they look well built australian made and different choice of engines -i would go for the rotax or continental

I reckon Tecnams are a great aircraft. Anyone who operates them become very familiar with regular servicing, tightening of loose bits, spotting loose rivets and of course, useing the very expensive bit of gear as a lovely looking paperweight as they wait for spare parts... An then of course theres the fitness benefits that come about from peddling the rudder to the stop any time the engine is producing power... An exellent way to blow 120 g..:thumb_up:

sorry, us tecnam drivers are out flying!

why do i love it?

brilliant climb performance, excellent handling! flies like a dream,beautifully balanced, good STOL ability. unmatched visibility.

brakes that work, no issues with starting in cold and sub zero temps.(you dont see the tecnam threads come alive with cold starting issues every winter)

only negative, average endurance. and euro costs.

Pros

1. Rotax powered

2. not composite

3. Higer resale

4. Dam good Looking(especially the Sierra)

5. Build Quality

6. Great Handling

7. Oh did I say Rotax powered

8. more conventional interior layout

Cons

1. Price

So as ultalights said we were out flying, we wern't surfing the net looking at forum groups after answers why our plane won't start,stop,stay on the centreline;)

Yes parts delays could be an issue but the 100's of hours between these issues are real flying time not fault finding:laugh:

OK Boys and Girls,

I do not own either, and have not flown a Tecnam or in a Tecnam.

I learned to fly in a Jabiru and I have built and own a Savannah.

I love the fact that at least one Australian manufacturer is producing a successful product. (as is Gippsland Aeronautics but their products are out of our reach and aimed at a different market)

I love the Rotax for lots and lots of reasons - enough said.

If I wanted an airport plane (as opposed to a stol a/c) it would have to be the Aussie product at approximately half the price. The difference is a lot of money in what is basically a hobby.

I cannot see the value in the imported product compared to looking after our own in the Jabiru.

Hope this is an taken as an uncompromised view. Even if not well informed.

Mark D

they way i describe the Tecnam in relation to the Jabiru (i fly both) is this...

Think of the Jabiru as a Holden Commodore. cheap, very solid, reliable airframe, mechanically Ok if treated right. drives and handles, well, like a commodore. pretty average.

the Tecnam is more your BMW M3. Drives brilliantly, handles like a dream. electric everything. Mechanically very reliable, but if stuff does wear out, can be expensive on parts.

i am in a strange situation, i fly both Jabiru and tecnam every day, to fly, i choose the Tecnam every time.. to own, well, i will be buying a J230 very soon.. (waiting on CASA).

Guest pelorus32

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Tecnam - and I don't even import them!!

1. The Rotax 912 is a great engine;

2. They have a cockpit that copes with the larger person admirably;

3. The seats adjust really well and the seating position is great;

4. They have a roughly 5 hour endurance (on the upgraded tanks) - better than most bladders in this forum;

5. The controls are well harmonised;

6. They can be inserted into and extracted from amazingly small spaces;

7. After a while it feels like they are part of you and you can achieve amazing agility from them;

8. The aircraft is very predictable in the circuit and the trim and power settings are simple and understandable;

9. The climb performance is great;

10. The aircraft has a long history of longevity - despite the posts to the contrary on this thread;

11. The cockpit has shown itself as very tough in some accidents in Australia (high wing);

Downsides

1. Tecnam, like all the Italian manufacturers, has a flexible approach to timely customer service;

2. Vfe is a joke in general and worse on the older P92s;

3. If you ever get them on the back side of the curve it is an experience that you will never forget;

4. They get a bit rattly as they get older, but no sign of major issues;

5. The control deflections are fairly large, particularly at low speeds;

6. They descend like a brick with full flaps.

As for expensive - cf the Jab perhaps but bluntly you are comparing apples and oranges.

I'd be happy to fly one tomorrow or any time.

Regards

Mike

Guest Maj Millard

Damn good all metal (mostly) aircraft that cruises fast, and will slow down nicely if you want it to. Comfortable, very nicely designed cockpit, with great visability. Oh did I mention the engines generally reach TBO. Don't care about the purchase price, wasn't mine, just borrowing it again. Other than the fixed training wheel up front, nice piece of gear in the Italian Aviation tradition...................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

To many the Slepcev Storch is the ugliest aircraft ever built (not counting the Savannah of course), but to those who have flown one, they are a lovely lady saying "come fly me and feel my magic". Tecnams are lovely italian ladies with magic also, but they are not a cheap date !!

Starting this thread was like throwing chips to a flock of seagulls...006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I have been sitting back with a grin..Mission accomplished..

Ive never actually flown a Jab:laugh:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I actually dont care all that much, and as far as im concerned flying is flying whether your on a broomstick(my mother in law) or a spaceship(mother in law as well!)

Im sure they are a fine aircraft once you can get over the..........Nah just kidding!

Are Jabirus a bit like the Collingwood football club.You either love em or....ahem..you dont?

:thumb_up:

Simonflyer, it was all good clean fun. :thumb_up:

Now......I have an idea for a new thread. :ah_oh:

Why is it that Savannah pilots can't land (smoothly) on sealed runways? :big_grin::big_grin:

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

Why is it that Savannah pilots can't land (smoothly) on sealed runways? :big_grin::big_grin:

:big_grin::big_grin:

Isn't it because they are so ugly the bituman tries to throw the airborne again 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif

Or rather Pete, the question should be, why don't Savannah pilots like landing on sealed strips? Every trip report indicates they are having way too much fun landing where ever they want and pitching tents etc! :thumb_up:

Guest Ken deVos
Anyone else see the "new " tecnam P2008All composite fuse - Now it even looks like a Jabiru

Pg15 Australian Flyer magazine

JR

Now that's a pretty aircraft!

1516628.jpg.90043035ad74334137939b4d2cf90701.jpg

All composite fuse - Now it even looks like a JabiruJR

Keep dreamin JR, if Jab could make their Fuses look half as good as that sales would tripple:laugh:

Guest Ken deVos
Keep dreamin JR, if Jab could make their Fuses look half as good as that sales would tripple:laugh:

Jabiru retail for a fraction of the Tecnam price. With Tecnam's new "all composite fuse" I think you'll find that that fraction got a whole lot smaller!