Why do lots of people like Tecnams

Guest Walter Buschor

To many the Slepcev Storch is the ugliest aircraft ever built (not counting the Savan

Tecnam's - loveley Italian Ladie's?

perhaps - good for a one night fling but will she cook your meals and could you live with here? the Savannah might look like a frigde with wings but but she'll stand by you - and will age gracefully . she's Italian too but rather like the "Mamma" behind the stove than the pretty ballerina.

still wouldn't say no to a Technam though

the grey Nomad

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started training in the Teccie P96/100 golf... really loved it and was looking forward to more, but I think some of the corrosion issues that have been alluded to have reared up, because it is out of commission for the foreseeable future and I am in the Jab 170 now... which does the job, but like the Holden vs. Ferrari, I can't say that I "look forward" to it as much as just "do it". Oh well, once i get my ticket, hopefully can find a teccie or something with similar characteristics for hiring out. Best to stick with what I'm on at the moment though, huh.

I trained on Jabs and I still love them, but have since flown the p-92 eaglet and it just seems to handle much better in general, and I like the ergonomics of the cockpit, no awkward break levers etc, and a better finish in general. But then that's what you get for that pricetag

I started training in the Teccie P96/100 golf... really loved it and was looking forward to more, but I think some of the corrosion issues that have been alluded to have reared up, because it is out of commission for the foreseeable future and I am in the Jab 170 now... which does the job, but like the Holden vs. Ferrari, I can't say that I "look forward" to it as much as just "do it". Oh well, once i get my ticket, hopefully can find a teccie or something with similar characteristics for hiring out. Best to stick with what I'm on at the moment though, huh.

How many hours on the Golf? Mine has 2000hrs and no corrosion issues, however it has been well maintained.

Oh, I have no idea Willborne - it belongs to the school, so no telling. There is definitely no question that it has seen some pretty hard use. I'll try to get some specifics though.

I trained in a Tecnam P92E ( as you can see in my avitar ), and it has been damn good to me. I'll allways love the Teccy. I'm having an affair with the CTSW a.t.m, but i will allways have a soft spot for the Teccy!

they way i describe the Tecnam in relation to the Jabiru (i fly both) is this...Think of the Jabiru as a Holden Commodore. cheap, very solid, reliable airframe, mechanically Ok if treated right. drives and handles, well, like a commodore. pretty average.

the Tecnam is more your BMW M3. Drives brilliantly, handles like a dream. electric everything. Mechanically very reliable, but if stuff does wear out, can be expensive on parts.

i am in a strange situation, i fly both Jabiru and tecnam every day, to fly, i choose the Tecnam every time.. to own, well, i will be buying a J230 very soon.. (waiting on CASA).

Just wondering U/L, did you every get around to acquiring the J230? ...or did the GFC get in between??

I have an idea for a new thread:

Why is it that Savannah pilots can't land (smoothly) on sealed runways?

Is there a problem with Savannahs landing on sealed runways that I haven't heard about?

Talking of Savs and Rotax, anyone here had trouble when starting. Friend has a Sav with 100hp 912uls. Of late it seems to be bucking and kicking whilst trying to start and getting worse. Today it just shook the proverbial out of the airframe. Seems like it is advancing too soon and backfiring. Any clues or suggestions regarding cause would be welcome.

Guest Maj Millard

Re: rough starting on the 912 Sav....if the aircraft hasn't flown for some time the fuel levels may not be the same in both carb bowls, one (or both) could even be empty. My technique is to operate the elect boost pump for about 3 seconds only, just prior to start up. This ensures there is fuel in both carb bowls for the engine to suck on. i believe the 'bucking' is caused because each carb is introducing different amounts of fuel/air mixture into the engine.

One other cause could be because the diaphram slides in the carbs are dirty and one is hanging up a little bit. Remove them and give everything a good clean and also check that both slide springs are the same..........................................................Maj...

Guest Maj Millard

I have time in a P92 and was checked out by Bruce Starke on delivery. I found the aircraft very nice to fly with both good low speed and high speed handling. I pushed it out one time for an indicated 109 Kts with an Airmaster CS prop fitted, but it would no doubt do more. Drop the flaps and it also makes a nice stable obervation platform. Cabin is nicely fitted and comfortable, dash laid out nicely, seats not too bad. The build quality is real good and the factory does take some pride in the product. Bit costly initially to procure but nice product inmy opinion, and most important of all a good safe aircraft..............................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• 1 month later...

Cons

1. Overpriced

2. No redundancy on all the hinges, all two hinged take a look at a Jabiru all three hinged

3. All flying tailplane with all forces concentrated about two light bearings, have a strike and its all over.

4. Atrocious parts supply both for accuracy and time of delivery

Pros

1. Rotax engine

2. They do fly very well

If Jabiru get this new engine right now they have finally realised they have to cast parts with harder alloys or alternatively more people start to fit rotaxes to the 230's the Tecnam will start to appear very overpriced.

• Like 1

?.., the Tecnam aircraft has poor endurance and.... low Vfe of 60knt. Yes it does have a low stall speed to match, but then what is the gust tolerance? It's not pleasant always having to come in at 55knts!

Hi Ken

A bit like an Auster!

The noise stops after 195 minutes

Vfe = 58 knots

Vs. = 28 knots

Approach 50 reducing to 45 on short final for a glide approach and a fair bit less for a powered one.

36' wingspan just to catch the gusts :-)

Kaz