Wide Bay Airshow

Hi Guys

I'm heading up to Wide Bay Airshow next weekend.

Did anyone go when it was last on ? If so how was it?

Is it worth going to the trade day ? or is that mainly for

the trade?

Keep Safe...

Guest Cloudsuck
Hi GuysI'm heading up to Wide Bay Airshow next weekend.

Did anyone go when it was last on ? If so how was it?

Is it worth going to the trade day ? or is that mainly for

the trade?

Keep Safe...

I've been the last two times and am going this time (driving 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif). It is a great air show. I haven't been to the trade day. I hope the weather is ok. We have been having unpredictable weather of late and the airshow is on a month earlier than other years.

Guest Crezzi

Sorry to sound a negative note but I attended in '05 & found it very disappointing frankly. I guess I was judging it by the standards of the Farnborough & RIAT I went to as a kid in UK though so hopefully it will be better this time round

Cheers

John

I went in 2007 and it was terrific.

IMHO, both the flying show and the static displays were good fun.

So much so that I am planning on going again this year.

Yeah, we will be flying over next friday morning (weather permitting) and planning to come back Saturday afternoon...have a look at the trade show, stay overnight and blast off after it finishes on Saturday...:big_grin:

Great airshow in Australian Standards, as Crezzi said it is avergae compared to other countries. The only disapointing thing about the whole show was the fact it was pretty much a Jab Flyin. Common Captain start shootin;) It could do with a few other RA-AUS type aircraft distributors.

Having said that I will be there:thumb_up:

Captain, they tell me from the Jab Factory that they are expecting atleast 70 Jabs that they know of.

BC

And is one of them to be yours?

If your final signature is not yet in place, please fax a copy of your darling's moniker and I will practice it for a couple of days before you need it.

GK (TR)

Guest watto

My wife and I are going to fly over on Friday morning and stay until Sunday, we will camp there in the camping ground that has been put on and will be at the Jab back to the nest dinner as well.

We have not been before but am sure it will be worth a look.

Cya's all there

Watto

Arrival and Departure procedures

Hi Everyone,

Some of you may already have found out. The arrival and departure procedures are finally on the Wide Bay Airshow website.

For those of you who are going it will pay for you to read this.

I am heading up on Friday. Hope to see some of you there.

Harthy

Up at 5am this morning - thinking it might still be a go.

ArFor said "severe turbulence" and "freezing level 4500" among other horrific things.

Back to bed.

You bailed too Geoff?

I will try again tomorrow. I figure Sunday there will still be worth it.

Garry Morgan tells me he bent the Sierra on landing there. He loaded up with too much stuff without due care for CofG and couldn't keep it on the ground.

As he says - "live and learn".

The kit Sierras have the engine an inch further forward and aren't as sensitive to bad load distribution. Goes to show though - you should always load carefully according to your load chart.

Up at 5am this morning - thinking it might still be a go.ArFor said "severe turbulence" and "freezing level 4500" among other horrific things.

Back to bed.

You bailed too Geoff?

I will try again tomorrow. I figure Sunday there will still be worth it.

Yes Ross.

I have pulled the pin completely. Too windy here and while the low freezing level is ok with me, the occasional severe turbulence below 10,000 warning, with moderate turb when it isn't severe, is a turn-off. There are showers coming thru here regularly and the cloudbase is down a bit (but not as bad as yesterday).

We've had SW about 17 knots gusting 25 here for most of the day.

I also don't like the look of the warning of the freezing level going from 11000 to 4000 ft over a 100 km section around Moree. Surely that might trigger some fun and games.

Although a friend of mine departed WW yesterday late morning in an RV6A. He called me from Moree to say that turbulance was OK, but he needed to stay below 2000 for the 1st hour or so (at about 180 knots mind you) to stay below solid cloud, yet the Turboplanner reported the cloud down on the hills all the way south from here yesterday as he drove home from WW.

I see that the Arfor for the Bundy area today is calling severe turb (and a SIGMET) in the lee of the ranges, so there might be more interesting stuff going on for the descent and approach up there.

Oh well. Another Airshow planned and another drought partially broken, I guess.

Bet it's bumpy over your way.

Please advise if you do decide to head up tomorrow.

Regards Geoff :man flying:

Heading off now Geoff.

You are keen Ross.

I went out for a look this morning and the fog/cloud came in about 07.00 + the Area 20, 21 & 22 Arfors are still predicting severe turbulance below 10,000 east of YNAR - YMOR, with winds 30 - 40 knots.

That's no fun if it actually eventuates.

If you do get away I will be interested to hear what it is like thru that area.

Regards Geoff

i heard about the sierra incident from a friend up there, apparently he came in very fast, landed past the halfway point of the strip, and wheelbarrowed it in 2 times before the nose gear failed... sadly in front of a large crowd. and already im hearing bad things about Raaus pilots and their training standards... sheesh. some GA guys just cant help themselves but whinge... oh well.

Geoff - the ARFOR was wrong. Not too tubulent, but had to go as far west as Narromine to go around the low cloud. Had 135 knots showingmuch of the time.

Rob, Garry got too slow in the end. He had loaded the Sierra up without regard to CofG and ran out of elevator. Didn't go around when he should have and got it porposing. The last bounce got the nose too high and it stalled back on.

Mick Poole asked me how my nose leg was. The RAA people thought it was me!

Mick wasn't happy because he was watching it with two GA Pilot Inspectors.

More later.

Just got back, attended on Sunday. It was ok, but I found the sound effects of bombing and gunning a little bit cheesy, and too fake, and that I was ready to go home after half a day. I guess the size of Avalon has made me only want to attend the larger ones haha.

Overall not bad I guess, cant say I had a bad time.

Cheers,

Nathan

Back from Bundy

Hi all

Had a great time spent 3 days there but got into some areas where the public wasn't allowed but had a great time.

102_wasnt_me.gif.b4992218d6a9d117d3ea68a818d37d57.gif Will go next year 102_wasnt_me.gif.b4992218d6a9d117d3ea68a818d37d57.gif

Ultralights

Don't let the GA complain about us Ra guys. Listening on the radio the GA people need to learn a bit remember the other thread about Bundy Traffic or Traffic bundy they threw that out the window somewhere over Frazer Island I think. The calls from RA pilots were all good and precise.

Cheers