AAK Hornet STOL

tarana777

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

It's a good strong well designed machine that you will see a lot more of in the future. Ole worked with Nestor on the SS4 Storch for a while. They are already popular in the bush and will become more so.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi David, the web site has a Icon for a Factory Built Hornet for towing and training.I clicked on it but there was no data, when clicking on the Performance and specs.I was wondering if Ole mentioned anything about the Factory Built Hornet.Also, in your opinion, if/when a factory built Hornet is Availiable, do you think it would make a great T/W trainer?

Ps- That trailing link main undercarriage Looks the goods.

One for sale my way.............built by LAME, has a small lycoming in it, asking around $35k..........done about 10hrs

You sure about that price Russ, that would make it one of the better buys I've seen all year? Last one I saw had more like $90K on the sticker.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes a good honest Australian aircraft design that has a future. I had a chat with Ole when he started building the first Bushman as I had customers in the bush who were very interested. Ole is very knowledgable, and is happy to listen to good suggestions, which is more than I can say about another Aussie aircraft producer.

The aircraft is well built and designed, but a bit heavier overall than say the SS4 Storch which it will probabily end up replacing on some stations.

Like the Storch, not built for beauty, but beauty is in the performance (especially low speed) and when you hop out of a Storch and look back, they then do look pretty !.

It's also impressive these days that any aircraft manufacturer is still in business with current finacial conditions, and I wish ole all the best with his enterprise, and fine aircraft designs........................................................................maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif.

Thanks Russ, that is an early design but I will call him.Dazz,

In answer to your earlier question I note the front page of the website states:

"It is available as a kit to be built under the experimental home-build rules administered by CASA, and as a fully certified factory-manufactured aircraft. The kit comes in two versions - the standard Hornet and the Hornet AG."

So I guess that means it is available as an RAA 24 rego trainer.

David

Thankyou David.

Saw one operating in its natural environment on the way back from Boonah this morning, weaving between the gum trees on approach to Canungra International. To me it's one of those "just looks right" aircraft.

David, back to the discussion, has the manufacturer abandoned the sprung steel landing gear in favour of the trailing link or is the latter still an option as the website seems to indicate?

A stockman from North Queensland attends a social function where Prime Minister Julia is speechifying. Clearly the stockman was not paying much attention, yackking with those closest and even quite far away.

Julia endeavoured to attract his interest with slower, single syllable words.

As she was doing that, she kept swatting at some flies that were

buzzing around her head.

The stockman says, "Yer havin' some problem with them circle flies?"

Julia stopped talking and said, "Well, yes, if that's what they're called, but I've never heard of circle flies."

"Well ma'am," the stockman replies, "Circle flies hang around these parts a lot. They're called circle flies because they're almost always found circling around the back end of a horse."

"Oh," Julia replies and resumes rambling.

But, a moment later she stops and bluntly asks,

"Are you calling me a horse's ****?"

"No, ma'am," the stockman replies, "I have too much respect for the citizens of this country to call their Prime Minister a horse's ****."

"Thank you for that respectful explanation," Julia responds and resumes rambling once more.

And the stockman adds slowly ...

"Hard to fool them flies, though."

AAK Hornet.

the last time that I had a good look at this aircraft, the weights seemed to be a bit beyond the current RAAus limits. My view is that our weights are preventing good aircraft from being available to us. Ole said to me at the time that his preferred way of doing things was to go Exp. GA. (one off inspection cost and less design limitations) This needs a PPL. Nev

Weight of Hornet

The time of my enquiry was when the standard engine was a Hirth 2-stroke and the plane would have been quite light. I have looked into building/adapting quite a lot of planes and have come to the conclusion that you just cannot build a 2-place using conventional materials (traditional might be the better term) under about 310 to 330 Kgs empty weight, which will be a "utility' aircraft in the true sense of the word. The essence of the designs were high-wing strut braced tailwheel. There is weight saving in this approach as you do not have the nosewheel assembly, the strutted wing is lighter for higher strength considerations, than the cantilever wing. Tubular steel used for the engine firewall to rear of seats (at least). All this is proven concept.

IF there are as many AAK's on the RAAus register as you suggest there may be, David, I would be both pleased and surprised. I guess it's not too hard to check.

The applicability of a TRUE stol to most of our operations, is something I would like to discuss, generally. Most of the Slepchev Storches that I have known of have ended up with a collapsed leg and wing repair and appear to be NOT the plane to be in when the winds get up. I am not singling out the Storch but ALL VERY slow planes (light with large wing areas) have a bit of difficulty with gusty winds . Nev

Guest Maj Millard

I had a quick look at the aircraft in NQ in a hangar at Atherton earlier this year. The seller was ready to 'talk turkey' at that time, and as I recall only wanted around $50 K. I did not see the aircraft fly, and I believe it had a Subaru engine in it, I'm led to believe by the seller that it has flown with only minor dramas. I will post some photos taken that day, if it is the same aircraft....................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

100.jpg.1e4a09549ac890bd630659b727f66d91.jpg

102.jpg.e63e9b9e5946c033fb1247a064226e7d.jpg

104.jpg.21bf09f38e45eb01527923137be23c8d.jpg

101.jpg.67cf224161e6537fef0d07a8c798a3d7.jpg