Headset from Overseas

Hi all,

I have decided to buy a LightSpeed Zulu headset. It was a hard choice between the Zulu and the Bose but in the end the Zulu seems better value and if it turns out I made the wrong choice, I guess I can always sell it on eBay and buy a Bose!

I am planning to buy one from the US since it appears to work out cheaper (around $1000AU).

I have a few questions though...

If you ask the seller to mark the package as 'gift' to avoid customs import fees, does that mean that you can't claim insurance if the package disappears in transit?

Has anyone else out there bought a headset from overseas and did customs actually charge you import fees or did it get through?

Any help/suggestions about importing headsets would be welcome :)

- Darky:cool:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's over a thousand $'s they charge import duty and tax.....!031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

So work out the overall price with all that, and see if it's still cheaper than in Aus, if not... well it's not much point.

Other than that it's usually pretty good, But you just have to do you home work and see if it's really worth the effort! And Cost difference!

I hadn't thought about them confiscating it....ok, not doing the 'gift' route.

I did some calculations and it seems including what I estimate customs fees and stuff to be, it should work out about $100 or so cheaper, which seems to make it worth it

When customs charge you import duty/tax/whatever, do they contact you and tell you to pay or what happens? i assume you don't have to work out the amount yourself, they contact you instead, am I right?

Guest Qwerty

Hey I have a bit of a different take on buying form OS, for a saving of $100, I would prefer to deal with a local supplier. 1. to support local aviation businesses. 2. so you have a real person that you can go and talk to if you have any problem with it later. 3. there is no chance of the freight company crushing it in transit.

There is some stuff that is better sourced from OS (spruce) eg bolts and hardware where you only need to buy what you want and the price is very much better than local suppliers who don't seem much interested is supplying us anyway.

Cheers, Qwerty

When customs charge you import duty/tax/whatever, do they contact you and tell you to pay or what happens? i assume you don't have to work out the amount yourself, they contact you instead, am I right?

Yeah they contact you through email or whatever, and you've got to pay them before they'll let it go... obviously. They let you know the cost required.

Ps. Good to hear you've gotten on to one for a nice price in Aus!:thumb_up:

Hopefully Clear Prop will be stocking Zulu headsets next week...and cheaper as the small margins placed on products pays to keep this web site available to you :big_grin:

Guest mudjeep

Glad to hear you are shopping local.

For interest, if your goods are worth less than $1000 then you won't be charged anything. If they are more than $1000 then you need to complete the entry paperwork, pay the duty and GST (the GST is applied on the value of the goods PLUS the cost of the freight and insurance), plus there is a processing fee of just under $50. Customs will let you know if the goods have been held so that you can arrange to have them cleared.

If the goods are concealed in any way or misdescribed then penalties can apply. Your goods will only be seized if you don't pay the duty/GST and penalty, or if they are Prohibited Imports.

If you decide that you don't want to pay the duty/GST, and provided that you have committed no offences and the goods are not Prohibited Exports, then you will get the option to re-export the goods at your expense.

For the latest information always check out the Customs website www.customs.gov.au or call the inquiry line (staffed by real live Australian Customs and Border Protection officers!).

Or better still, shop at Clear Prop!

Guest studentbiggles

Hi Ian, I to would be very interested in purchasing a set of "Lightspeed Zulu's".....Let me know of your price etc...Many thanks Studentbiggles (Alley)

Hi Ian, I to would be very interested in purchasing a set of "Lightspeed Zulu's".....Let me know of your price etc...Many thanks Studentbiggles (Alley)

Don't know at this stage but I guess they would be cheaper then the ones you have found.

Except I bet yours is full of useful stuff every pilot needs Jay. Mine is more like 'hey that altimeter clock looks cool, I could put it on my desk to replace that clock with no battery and it's only $40!' (despite the fact a new battery for the old clock would be like $2!)

good grief, 3000 purchases. I'm still only at 57 so I'm clearly not as bad as I thought!

The sign on the laptop thing is a good idea though. I've got one now saying "STUDYING = FLYING" in an attempt to get myself to study for uni (if I study I feel less guilty when I fly). It isn't working to the extent that I hoped for though 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif