Cheetah Strike part2

wokbat1954

Hey Dano,

Thanks for the interest in the builders blog. We are still busy building and I have HEAPS of stuff to put up on the blog but time hasn't been on my side for the past couple of months. Rest assured that once I start putting more stuff up I'll let all of my loyal followers here know.

To date the Wing Spars are pretty much complete and we had her all rigged up the other day. I have a small video of it sitting in the driveway with wings on (well spars anyway) and I gotta say it looked NUTS! I'll endeavour to put the vid on the Blog ASAP.

Cheers

Toby

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ime getting withdrawal symptoms waiting. Hope to start one myself next year. Still tossing up between RV4 and Cheetah. With the US dollar being low the RV4 looks good, but more expensive to run and GA not RAAus.

• 1 month later...
Hey Dano,Thanks for the interest in the builders blog. We are still busy building and I have HEAPS of stuff to put up on the blog but time hasn't been on my side for the past couple of months. Rest assured that once I start putting more stuff up I'll let all of my loyal followers here know.

To date the Wing Spars are pretty much complete and we had her all rigged up the other day. I have a small video of it sitting in the driveway with wings on (well spars anyway) and I gotta say it looked NUTS! I'll endeavour to put the vid on the Blog ASAP.

Cheers

Toby

C'mon Toby, We're dying here!!!!!! :big_grin::big_grin:

• 1 month later...
Hey Dano,Thanks for the interest in the builders blog. We are still busy building and I have HEAPS of stuff to put up on the blog but time hasn't been on my side for the past couple of months. Rest assured that once I start putting more stuff up I'll let all of my loyal followers here know.

Cheers

Toby

Hi Toby,

I flew Garry's Sierra at Christmas & checked out your Blog. Really looking forward to some updates.

Kevin

Rivet question?

Hey Toby,

Still looking forward to updates but I have a question. I was reading some of your blog posts and in one of them your Dad went and bought more rivets. Are they stainless steel rivets from the local hardware store or pukka aircraft stuff from someone like Aircarft Spruce?

Cant wait for more posts...

Best wishes

Chris:keen:

Hey Chris,

The rivets were purchased from Economy Bolts...I rang Garry to find out what they were and after a bit of ringing around found that those guys sold what I was after. I'll have to check the pack to see what they are, I'm pretty sure they are Aluminium Rivets but don't quote me on that. I'll check tomorrow when I'm building!

Hey Guys,

I have been working on updating my Blog with HEAPS of info but it is taking me a while...sorry! I hope the following video is enough to tide some of you guys over for now til I get the blog up-to-date.

This was taken on my phone (the quality is not the best) on the 19.01.10 and illustrates where we are currently in the build (sort of). What you are seeing is the Wing Spars with Ribs attached, rigged up on the fuse to get the angle of incidence and location for the rear drag spar.

Currently the drag spars are in position and skinning of the fuselage bottom has been completed. Next is the Fuse side skins and then onto some serious wing build'n fun.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]Cheers,

Toby

Hey Chris,The rivets were purchased from Economy Bolts...I rang Garry to find out what they were and after a bit of ringing around found that those guys sold what I was after. I'll have to check the pack to see what they are, I'm pretty sure they are Aluminium Rivets but don't quote me on that. I'll check tomorrow when I'm building!

Toby

They should be A/A rivets. This means an Aluminium rivet with an Aluminium stem. A/S is Aluminium rivet with a Steel stem. There are a number of other types. Steel has the ability to rust. SS or stainless is less suceptible to corrosion but still reacts (corrosively) with aluminium. Steel & aluminium are at different parts of the electolytic scale so in contact with one another with a catalyst will react. This catalyst can be as simple as high humidity but exacerbated with the addition of salt air, diesel fumes or any other airborne pollutant etc.

FYI I own an Aluminium fabrication business which I am endeavouring to sell & build a Sierra.

Cheers

Kevin

Toby They should be A/A rivets. This means an Aluminium rivet with an Aluminium stem. A/S is Aluminium rivet with a Steel stem. There are a number of other types. Steel has the ability to rust. SS or stainless is less suceptible to corrosion but still reacts (corrosively) with aluminium. Steel & aluminium are at different parts of the electolytic scale so in contact with one another with a catalyst will react. This catalyst can be as simple as high humidity but exacerbated with the addition of salt air, diesel fumes or any other airborne pollutant etc.

FYI I own an Aluminium fabrication business which I am endeavouring to sell & build a Sierra.

Cheers

Kevin

Thanks for the explanation of the rivets Kevin, very informative indeed. I have yet to check which ones were purchased but they were as per Garry's instruction.

Thanks again

Cheers,

Toby

Toby,Just checked out the video. Very Jealous. Keep up the good work & those of us foaming at the mouth up to date.

Cheers

Kevin

:thumb_up: Roger, Wilco! Although it may be slow rest assured that updates are imminent!

Thanks for the support guys,

Toby

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it looks good,

Im building a sierra as well, slow since I got it home(two weeks in Taree), but have just finished elevators, getting the top sheet rear right then onto the rudder. Having a few small problems but getting through. thanks for you postings josh

• 3 months later...

Steve, I am building a Cheetah on the southside, halfway to the Gold Coast. I have the fuselage 80% complete with nidacore honeycomb floor panels & fibreglass seat shells. Send me an email - [email protected] if you want to look/talk.

Cheers

Colin T