Change over to PPL

I just rang Brindabella airlines about a conversion (I figure I might as well do it so I know what I'm talking about for a change).

They sound very easy to deal with. My hours count. There are just a few requirements to go through which they say won't take too many hours to achieve.

I'll just get permission from the boss, and give it a whirl.

So does CASA prescribe anywhere what needs to be done for conversion from RA-Aus to PPL?? Or is it left up to each GA school to decide? If the latter, it seems all a bit arbitrary..

Guest Graham Lea

You will have to do an exam at the end of your theory course then satisfy the cfi of your compentancy in the questions you failed.b4 that I suggest you get the medical...

Guys,

I did it a few years ago at Tas Aero Club in Launceston. My understanding is thus.

The instructor needs to satisfy himself that you are proficient. This means you will need to do the theory. ie pre-solo exam, BAK, Nav and I can't remember what else. Then you need to pass a flight test.

You need 2 hrs on unstruments and you need to demonstrate that you can fly. ie stall, prec search, forced landing etc etc. If you can do it you will be signed off but remember you might have to do all this in an a/c that you are not familiar with in controlled air space that you also wont be familiar with. and you may need some instruction to get there.

Having said all that, ther ereally is no drama with any of this. It is all stuff that I was interested in and wanted to learn. There is a bit more detail in the PPL theory like more complex W&B, local time calcs, more detailed knowledge requirements for a/c systems and other similar stuff. It takes a bit of application but its all good, OK and do-able.

I have posted elsewhere that the cost will depend on how YOU go complying with the requirements and could be anything but usually, and I'm guessing here, between $1,000 and $3,000 or $4,000.

Does this help?

Yea qwerty's pretty close with his estimates me thinks. You will need to do the PPL cyber exam which incorperates all the things you already know, just more involved. To my knowledge there isn't a seperate nav exam.(well there wasn't when i did it a couple years ago). Its all in the cyber exam. And you will need to do a flying test of course.064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif.. and have no fear about learning the new type, the :spam: cans are a piece of cake when uve learned on a lighty.

It took me about 5 min to learn to fly left handed with the throttle in the right. the flaps, mixture and other stuff is a doddle....no actually, it was good to be into it and learning more good stuff. I don't remember a nav exam...it doesnt matter anyway, if you need PPL just take a few bucks and go and do it.

I did the transition about 3 months after getting my RA ticket.

All hours and experience counts towards a PPL.

If you have done and are rated for solo XC hours for example then that counts as done and instruments time as already outlined has to be done.

Minimum 5 hours transition required to the satisfaction of the CFI THEN you have to learn the theory, and sit the exams as suggested in above posts.I found the exam theory a lot more difficult than others suggest but then I am a bit older and mentally challenged especially when it comes to understanding AIP and CAO`s.

The online multiple choice exam questions can be very tricky with several answers that all look right,... you have to know the one that is more right.

Go for it, I reckon it enhances your flying experience and attitude.

This is an interesting thread and very good timing.

My 20 hrs is coming up soon and I should be done. Based on minimum RA-Aus times would it make sense to do the following:

RA-Aus Pilots Certificate: 20 hrs

XC Endorsement: 15 hrs

TOTAL: 35 hrs

+ 5 hrs GA conversion

= 40 hrs required for PPL

This would save a lot of money and is probably the cheapest way of obtaining a PPL. I haven't done my RA-Aus BAK yet but have arranged to the PPL BAK with a GA school to save some time in the long run (as it will count towards RA-Aus cert anyway).

Good thread.

**Tango Charlie**

I assume you are looking for schools up Brisbane way that bridge the gap?--I know of a few in Vic, but none up there-although I think more and more GA schools are starting to wise up to the Pro's of the RA world and it shouldnt be too hard to find a good school..Not much help..sorry

Surely changing over to a PPL can only be a good thing for the extra learning and experience.Those who wish to fly at night in poor weather and into CTA , bigger planes etc etc are going to like a lot thats offered in GA.And of course there's the costs..gotta love that...Not..thumb_down

But i would say to anyone thinking they are just going to jump in a GA plane, have it sussed, sit the required exams easily, and do it all in minimum times that you may be in for a shock..It will take a bit of application particularly on the theory front if you havent done any of the GA Stuff before and skydog was spot on-they set up questions so that a few will be wrong,and a few will sound right(but only one is right).They are set up to trick you..

From what i understand of the prac, it really will come down to the individual and their skills and abilities and it will be up to the CFI to make the call on when readiness is achieved.

Go for it

:thumb_up:

I made a start today. Did an hour of circuits in a 172N at YSCB. It was only on the 3rd or 4th landing that the instructor felt safe to not assist. Took me a while to adjust to flying with a wheel and not a stick, not to mention a few things which are more complex than my simple Cheetah. I think I'm on top of it now though. Next week we're off to the training area to do a few steep turns and stalls, then if I really am on top of it, a nav.

I really enjoyed having a controller looking out for me. There was a fair bit of traffic around too. Heavies, and even a Metroliner doing touch and goes.

Got to hit the books again. Should be fun.

Good one Slarti. Enjoy the ride, its a good refresher course too.

The GA guys that I know that have upgraded :thumb_up: to RAAus tell me that it takes a little while to get the hang of the low inertia. I guess its just like us taking little while to get the hang of the higher inertia. BTW once you have done the transition, further transition is easier. I flew and landed a Partenavia (8 seat I think, twin) and it was a very easy a/c to fly and land.

A lot will depend upon the instructor. When I reactivated my GA licence after a long layoff, I got a real ratbag instructor, he only wanted to get me to spend hours flying. I ditched him and told his employer why. She sacked him and got another instructor, who passed me with the minimum 1 hour required.

hello tangocharlie, i have previously completed BAK theory GFPT test about 10 years ago at Archerfield plus about seven hours in a Piper Archer doing NAVS. Even though hours are supposed to count. A lot of GA schools up here dont want to recognise RAA hours. Even though CAR 5.115 and CAR 5.84 says they should. A example of this is that i contacted a school at Coolangatta to finish off my GA training and they were quite happy TO recognise my GFPT.WTF how about my RAA XC hours? ANYWAY -CONTACT ACCESS AIRSHARE AT REDCLIFFE THEIR A DUAL SCHOOL IE-RAA AND GA THEY WILL RECOGNISE ALL YOUR HOURS. YOU WILL HAVE TO DO A MINIMUM 2 HOURS UNDER THE HOOD. BAK THEORY AND PPL THEORY EXAM Their testing officer is Allan Dunbar he took me for my GFPT, he is a good bloke. CHEERS I hope this helps

My guys said (after looking it up) that you don't need the BAK. That's only for GFPT.

GFPT - General Flying Progress Test is what it says, you can only operate within the Training Area, If you need it for that, you need it to enter CTA.

Guest burbles1

Apparently there is no CASA CyberExam for the BAK - it is a written exam provided by your flying school. You will need to get your pass in the BAK signed off in your log book, before you can attempt the PPL exam, which is a CyberExam.

Casa states:

"During online bookings the CyberExams system automatically ascertains that the candidate holds the pre-requisite qualification. CyberExams will not accept the booking if the applicant is not eligible. Thus, if an online booking is unsuccessful, one possible reason could be the lack of pre-requisite qualification.

BAK (Aeroplane) Pass. However, the system auto-assessment cannot include a check for the BAK (Aeroplane) pass as the BAK is an industry exam with the pass recorded by the CFI of the training school in the candidate's pilot log book, and not in CASA computer system.

Candidates sitting either the PPL (Aeroplane) or CPL (Aeroplane) exams should be able to book their respective exams successfully. However they must produce evidence of a BAK (Aeroplane) pass that is recorded in the logbook, for the exam supervisor's sighting, before they would be allowed to undertake the exam. The PPL licence is not a permissible equivalent"

Dave