Passenger Endorsement

Problem with doing ra endorsements and licenses etc is that noone other than you guys (and girls) share your excitement when something has been achieved.

So with that in mind: I got my passenger endorsement!!!! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

I will be taking my Fiancee(sp?) up on sunday for the first time and am really looking forward to it.

The way I see it is it's like watching a movie you've already seen with someone who hasn't seen it. You really enjoy sharing the experience of their first time just as much as when you had the experience yourself.

Anyways, Good flying,

J

The first time I took a non-pilot up was a few weeks ago in Echuca.

I was as nervous as all get out because I'd done a go-around on our arrival (in a J120 from HSM) so I opted for a slight cross wind take off and landing.

He (my brother, the pax) loved the flight and it was a real confidence booster!

They also don't notice small errors on landing so it's great!

The guys at Echuca were helpful too.

Have fun, Shags_j

Stanzahero.

Ah, that brings back memories.

I took three people up once.

All of them were talking at the same time for a while, so I learned new levels of concentration.

Then two of them threw up over the third, and I abandoned the sightseeing trip and headed for Mount Gambier to meet their understandable requirement to put their feet on firm ground, flying the Cherokee with my nose out the tiny window flap and using peripheral vision for the instruments.

I took the opportunity to refuel, and they all disappeared for a time.

On their return I found they'd consumed pies and licorice!, so it all happened again on the return flight.

It certainly is a new dimension with new challenges, the biggest one being "It's imperative I get back to the office for a meeting which is so important that the world will stop without it and if you are too scared to fly, get someone else!," followed by let's just go up and have a look"

Guest Maj Millard

Well done Shags !!! It is something to be proud of, getting the right to fly someone else. I was in a fatal aircraft crash back in 1974 as a passenger, where the pilot, and front passenger were killed. It really drove home to me at the time, the massive responsibility a pilot has with the lives and fate of passengers. I never thought I would be able to take on that responsibilty, but I got over it, and have flown lots of rides now for years.

Get yourself a little lighthearted safety briefing going (write it down) it relaxes riders no end....enjoy.......................................

The amusing ones are the ones that swore black and blue they where never going to go up in that thing 055_ha_ha.gif.ab4c01c0c86f3c68b39f2590d051c8ca.gif.

Then they see their friends and family going up (2 in their 60's, 1 aged 77:gerg:), really enjoying it, and you can read their minds .......:patch: Hmmmm maybe I'm missing out on something here, but what can I do 'cause I did say.......049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Regards Bill

Male decision

Does that prove how intelligent men are? Funny, in all the flying groups that I have encountered, it is generally the pilot's wives that were reluctant to fly with U/L pilots. I thought that showed the womens intelligence.

Being serious, ALL passengers are apprehensive at first. Some conceal it better than others.. It is your job to minimise their apprehension by your approach to how you do the job and how you brief them. It is quite a reasponsibility as some of those people may take up aviation or run away from it as a result of how you do it. Some of them may be first time flyers, and there is the over-riding fact that their lives are in your hands. When I first became a commercial pilot the CFI would send me out to a nearby strip, Generally Cooranbong and I would do continuous "joy-flights" for about 3 or more Hours in a C-172. Carry near to 60 people in that time and they all have to be "belted up" and briefed even though it is a bit repetitious. They kept queing up. Does this happen today? There are lots of things for people to do other than flying. It's probly become a little "passe". Nev

I don't know Nev. It still seems to be a bit aloof to others outside the hobby. People I know still can't believe I fly and don't realise just how acheivable it really is.

My instructor went through a long briefing stressing how important it is to make sure your passengers are comfortable before and after the flight, what to look out for pre getting in the aeroplane etc.

I've always found it hard to understand why people have this fear since I always felt at home in the air. My first flight was with boy scouts at age 10 (piper archer), second with aircadets at 13 (caribou) and have absolutely loved it since.

I feel thought that my instructor has prepared me for what may happen with my passenger. Going into the breifing I didn't realise how much of a responsibility it was and just how much you need to be thinking of the passenger.

Interesting point to note: I just booked my first flight on a commercial aircraft for my honeymoon. I'm pretty excited since I've never flown in a large jet before :)

Guest Maj Millard

Shags, a bit more on that brief. I generally explain doors, exit and emergency proceedures, and tell them a bit about the aeroplane, and what to expect from the flight. I do specifically tell them what I'll be doing if the engine quits (a) on take off (straight ahead) and (b) in cruise.(best spot we can find). You don't need to put the fear of XXX into them, but it does please them, to know a bit more about what to expect. I do mention where the Emerg beacon is, and how it is activated. I end with "If you see any other aircraft or birds that I don't, please let me know" This makes them feel actually part of the crew, instead of just self-loading freight, and gives them something to do during the flight other than worry.

Beware the passenger from hell, rare, but they do come along. I flew an old bloke a couple of years in a row, once at Old Station. He loved it, couldn't get enough. The second year he bought his middle aged son along, and insisted he go for a fly also. The son obviosly didn't want to, and I should have backed out there also. Away we went, I really thought the poor bloke was going to jump overboard he was so scared, (Drifter) but no more so than I. After a quick circut I put him back on the ground as soon as I could. neither of us enjoyed that ride , and there was no point in going at all. There are people out there who just have a morbid fear of flying. I don't put anyone in an aeroplane now, unless I can see some geniune enthusium.

I have noticed with a good briefing that people relax, and enjoy the experience more. Your briefing style will get more relaxed the more you do, they listen to your every word and can tell if your comfortable also.............................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Andys@coffs

I would say that there will be a fair chunk of non pilot trained passengers who will have that fear that like the Wylie Coyote cartoons, when the motor stops, the plane will immediately cease forward motion and then drop like a stone. It may help to stress the point, if you choose to talk about EFATO as Major suggests, that despite the motor stopping the plane will continue to fly and continue to be controllable just as it is when we come in for an expected landing rather than an unplanned one.... My mum is an intelligent woman, but she didnt understand this and expected that the sound of silence would be followed shortly thereafter by the "whump" as we pancaked in. clearing up this misconception before we got of the ground led to an obvious reduction in tension, with the benefits that that brings

Andy

HI All, i pretty much do exactly as major millard does, i also show them where the press-to-talk button is show they dont press it. I also tell them before i make a radio call, that im about to, so they dont talk at the same time. I realy like for the passenger to keep an eye out, for other a/c, birds etc. I really think that they do feel apart of the crew,as major has mentioned. It makes me feel better also having a extra pair of eyes scaning. Two near misses, once a chopper, as have already mentioned and nearly wearing a mooney when i was in a archer was the other one.(location was point danger , how ironic is that name) Cheers 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

I reckon it is important to tailor your performance to the audience - ie there are certain basics that are non negotiable; harnesses, hatches and the PTT come to mind along with an explanation of what to expect, but I've been up with some people that seem to want to give a presentation on the entire emergency procedures manual, which seemed to give at least one of the passengers the impression that this flying was a bloody dangerous business! I would rather present the basics clearly and concisely and then provide further info if there is a glimmer of intelligent interest, or otherwise a particular concern.

As with most things, the nonverbal cues you provide are at least as important as what you say - so do things calmly and keep the showing off for down at the pub.

I always do a briefing, similar to Maj just to calm their fears and let them know that everything will be ok. My stepdaughter is a hostie with qantas and she was dissappointed that I didnt do the same flight safety briefing that she does. But as I explained to her, a Gazelle doesnt have drop down oxygen masks or floor lights to show her where the nearest exit is. Anyway she liked the flight and as she stood there with crossed fingers, arms and legs said that she would go up with me again......

Guest Maj Millard

I'm more than happy to share mine, it may be aircraft specific though. I'll pull it out of the aircraft next time i'm out there, and post it......................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif