Plexus plastic cleaner

pudestcon

I went to Jandakot today to pick up some aviation grade washers and whilst I was there I brought a 13 oz can of Plexus - cost $35 so I thought I'd ask you guys what you reckon about the price. I notice Wicks have the same size can for $15.30 US but that's no good to me seeing as how they will only ship via surface. I didn't see this type of product in Clear Prop either. I notice some people use Mr Sheen on their 'perspex' windscreens which would be a helleva lot cheaper.

Any thoughts?

Pud

Hi Pud,

A tube of Autosol metal polish worked great on the perspex windscreen on my boat which had fine scratches from the tarp, plus No 1 son who uses it occasionaly, and has a nasty habit of wiping salt crystals off the screen without wetting it first.

Being a very fine abrasive, it's no quick fix on a large area, but with a nice clean soft cloth and plenty of elbow grease, it produced great results.

I learned this many years ago from an old time watchmaker I worked with, who used it to polish scratched watch glass faces when he did repairs.

The other stuff he used was Duraglit wadding made in the UK. I did manage to buy a tin here in Oz many years ago. It's a cotton wool type material impregnated with chemicals (oelic acid, I think, and polish) Brite Shine available in Oz would probably be very similar, and I think Supa Cheap Auto stocks it.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Planey

P.S. Never use Mr Sheen on window-tinting inside cars. I learned the hard way, and it made my tinting go all crappy and scaley and was never the same afterwards.

Hi Pud,

I got a can of plexus from the lore of flight in Yarawongs a year or so ago and I am sure I didn't pay 35 bucks for it.

Seems a little steep to me but it is great stuff considering you dont have to use much when you clean, I also just got some more dupont cloths from him (50 to a pack) , 13 bucks a packet and they are the best disposable cloth i have ever used as they pick up fine dust without scratching the surface.

Might pay to give him a buzz and check out the prices as he will freight stuff over.

Cheers

Alf

cost $35 so I thought I'd ask you guys what you reckon about the price.

Hi Pud

Whitworths carry Plexus for $24.99. Bias lists it at $19.95 but despite the description, the picture that comes up is not a can of Plexus but somthing called VuPlex, but that could just be a problem with their website.

While the major yacht chandlers both carry a lot of fittings which, by their nature, are not cheap, on like for like products they often very competative price wise.

For instance both Whitworths & Bias are both carrying MT410G PLB's at $549 at the moment.

Not trying to promote anyones business here, just trying to break a myth.

Mark

Thanks for all the replies.

I'll see if I can source the Dupont cloths locally as is more convenient.

I used the Plexus today on the school Thruster in Northam and it came up a treat so is a good product. I'm keen to use Clear Prop any chance I get Ian so it would be good to have Composiclean in the catologue although I won't need any for a while now 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

What I am looking for is a set of wheels including tyres, tubes and brakes for my Thruster which is still a work-in-progress. I'm sure you can get them through Wicks Ian but how do I go about ordering them and working out the price inclusive of shipping?

Cheers,

Pud

screens

An old instructor taught me to use nothing other than water ( apply it first to wash away dust) and use your hand [ not your ring hand obviously]to wipe down the screen.

Wipe in an up and down motion, not circles because if you did accidently induce a scratch from dirt it is much easier to see thru the screen.

To remove bugs, clean after every flight as they are easier to remove than later. That goes for the leading edges as well of course. Use a bug cleaner sponge which has a webbing of soft nylon over it. This webbing removes the bugs just with water without detergent and no scratching.

Rinse again with water and best let the screen dry naturally rather than using a chamois or cloth which could have sharp dust or dirt in it.:gerg:

Ian,

Is that "Composiclean wax" in a spray can form like Plexus?

I paid $35 for Plexus at Yarrawonga earlier this year....I have been told you can actually buy Plexus at Motorcycle and gear outlets.

-Linda

Ian,Is that "Composiclean wax" in a spray can form like Plexus?

I paid $35 for Plexus at Yarrawonga earlier this year....I have been told you can actually buy Plexus at Motorcycle and gear outlets.

-Linda

Yes Linda - not like a pressure spray can but a pump action spray and it goes a very very long way - it is completely pH neutral which makes it the best for all aircraft - some carbon fiber aircraft manufactures are saying do not use anything else on their aircraft

Linda - it is in stock now - have had it for some time including the Composiclean Wash and all their other products - I will try and add it into the shop tomorrow