Caboolture/Redcliffe/Caloundra flying club?

Al B

Hi All,

Please ignore this message if you aren't a member of club '118.8':

If you're like me, you often find yourself flying with a spare seat - or see a fly-in you'd like to go to, but doing it alone is too expensive.

I'm toying with the idea of setting up a simple website (Ian, it will not compete with this one :)) where local recreational flyers (GA or RAA) can offer spare seats or organize trips together. It'd be fun to take a flock of gazelles/tecnams/jabirus/cessnas/whatevers for a quick jaunt to say straddie, gympie or whatever. It'd also be a good way for us to get a chance to meet new people face-to-face and try flying some different types.

This website would be purely a social thing for SEQ with no charges, politics or any of that nonsense - maybe a virtual noticeboard where you could say "Hi, I'm XXX, I normally fly a J120 out of YCAB, if anyone wants to go for a buzz ring me on ZZZ".

Is there any interest in such a site?

Cheers,

Al

Gidday Al,

What a great idea. I am from down south but up here at the moment in my J230.

So first trip---

I am off to Fraser and Cooloola Cove tomorrow morning about 8am from Caboolture. So any one wanting to tag along please yell out.

Terry

0427 221106

J 230 FTK

Well, that'd save me quite a bit of work. If there's interest, and Ian was happy to do it, that'd be helpful.

I wouldn't mind hacking together a quick website anyway, with the type of rental aircraft in the area and who owns them. For some reason, Welcome to CHEESEBURGER.COM always gets more attention then www.foods.org/fast/cheeseburger/ even if they have the same content (edit: the forum software helpfully replaced www dot cheeseburger dot com with the intro text from that website - oops)

Terry do you have a spare seat? What time would you be back at Caboolture? I'm tempted and am a skinny bloke.

Cheers,

Al

Al, can you please give me a ring on 03 9444-8025 at your convenience so we can discuss what you need and how the site can do to help you - thanks!

Thankyou Ian. I need to spend some time planning things then I'll give you a call.

Please keep in mind that I was thinking something dead simple and easy to use. Something where if I see another pilot at my home airfield, I can just say "oh, take a look at localflyingclub.com, it's the flying club for this airfield" and any idiot can navigate to it in under 30 seconds. Ease of use and simplicity being the primary goal - if users want more features there would be a link to this site.

When the user types that domain in, they see some basic information on facilities and things to see in the area. That would be simple static content. From there, there would be a link to forums (ideally a subform hosted here), but the 'main event' would be a dead simple part where people could create a flying profle with their location, experience, and access to aircraft - and also a 'spare seats' / 'trips planned' virtual billboard. Really I'm thinking of something quick ugly but functional. I was planning to hack together some kind of dynamic page over the next few evenings.

I'm certainly not seeing it as competition for this site in any way- it wouldn't have 5% of the features, and would only be targetted at seat-filling and social flying at a few local airfields. I'd be surprised to get more then a dozen users.

Please note that I posted this thread before I read the "Student Forum" one - I realise that now is probably not the best time to ask if there was interest in another site, even a dead simple one - so Ian, if you want, please feel free to nuke the thread and I won't mention it here again.

cheers,

Al

Al, I take it that you hadn't seen this post:http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/announcements-site-news/7827-free-offer-all-recreational-aviation-clubs.html

This has been mentioned a few times here for any aviation club to take up

Why not send a quick email to all the RA-Aus schools listed on the RA-Aus website just telling them about the site and what you offer for them? That way you can address it to whoever owns the school or the CFI, rather than members passing on a business card or something to someone at the school who promises they'll pass it on but might forget because they get too busy etc. And the person you contact can contact you directly with any questions.

The worst they can do is ignore it or say no, and it wouldn't take THAT long to send out a mass email I imagine so you don't lose too much (plus emails are free and enviro friendly!)... :)

Sounds like a great idea- count me in- I'm at the field most weekends and going somewhere so it would be great.A few of the Cab Aero club members have been doing the Dunwich Sunday breakfast but, Boonah, Teerwah, kilcoy, watts, Heck are all easily do-able, even for those with limited time.

BTW- Evans Hd was great- finally some good weather- see sep thread for other coments.

Cheers

Neil.

How about this from the left field - why not just start a thread in the trip reports, flyins forum or even general if you're going somewhere, as with the Evans Head thread. I guess most people now use the "new posts" button for browsing and provided it was properly titled you would get the coverage.

Obviously I don't fall into the desired demographic here, but to be honest if I were doing the Cooloola Cove run or similar and wanted company, I'd be glad to see some faces from other fields or are you really that keen to restrict this to the 118.8 triangle?:confused:

I'd strongly suggest renaming the "Trip Reports and Flyins" forum - by the time people read about a trip report, it's already happened! How about "Planned Trips, Flyins and Reports"?

John I know about the Caboolture aero club forum. The problem with using it is 1) it's a bit of a ghost town (a little publicity would help here) and 2) it'd be nice not to restrict it to Caboolture. I know several people who fly at both Redcliffe and Caboolture.

Spin I am in no way suggesting limiting what happens on this site! If recflying can implement something on a larger scale, I think that'd be the best long term solution. I really do believe a straight forum format isn't ideal. I'll hack together something ugly and present it here later, and you will see what I mean.

Ian that is an incredibly generous offer. I'd be careful promoting it, you may find yourself with more work then you can handle :)

There is also a new more powerful, feature rich Blog system coming soon that will have the web address for each blog of http://www.recreationalflying.com/username

This will mean you can create a username of your club/school and make your blog look like it is a part of the recreational flying community. In your blog you can have a link to your own Social Group which is like your own forum and many other parts of the site for yourself like photo albums, calendar etc.