I went solo!!!!!!

At around 11:15am today (16th Jan 2010), with 29.6 hours of flight time, I was let loose above YLIL by my instructor for my FIRST SOLO!! :big_grin:

After a good session of circuits (if I do say so myself) - all unassisted landings - my instructor told me to do a full stop landing. I assumed it was just the end of the mission. I was taxiing back to the flight school when my instructor (oh so casually) said "drop me off and you can take it round by yourself". I was totally taken by surprise and made a noise that was a sort of a mixture of 'eep', 'argh' and 'oh 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif'.

I was given a heap of instructions about how it would fly better without him there and also may need a bit of right aileron to compensate for all the weight (me) being on one side. He told me to have fun, climbed out and I was left by myself.

I slowly taxiied it to 36 and did all the usual checks. While I was doing the checks I had a sudden moment of "oh my god, what am I doing" but then I was like "well I trust J and he clearly thinks I can do it, so I can 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif"

I did the takeoff - I think I raised the nose slightly too early but once I got that under control it leapt off the ground - I was airborne by myself!! When I went to raise the flaps, I forgot to fully take into account the lack of weight in the RHS so tipped to the left a bit when changing to my left hand on the stick but got it under control pretty quickly.

Turned onto crosswind, only to find myself start singing (badly). Got about one verse into 'Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines' (good song to fly to I reckon) and had to stop to make my downwind call.

During downwind it got a bit bumpy and I ended up at around 1500ft rather than 1250ft so I had to deal with that (no biggie). Base was fairly uneventful.

My approach was pretty unstable, for most of final I was to the right of the centreline (oops). I managed to correct it but in hindsight I probably should've gone around. I think I came in slightly fast for my landing and ended up landing just on the right main wheel (or so it felt) - I told my instructor later that I nearly bent the plane 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif (apparantly it didn't look too bad to him so it must've felt worse than it looked :thumb_up:) I controlled the landing though so it's all good. I have discovered, however, that when I'm about to crash I start laughing - interesting to know! :big_grin:

Taxiied it back to the flight school (saw a bunch of people sitting outside who probably watched my interesting landing 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif) and shut down the plane. My instructor came out to see how I felt (told him I nearly bent the plane, teehee), had a photo with the plane, entered it into my logbook and have been smiling ever since!

I still can't really believe I've done it, it felt a bit like a dream when I was up there and even now I can't believe it. I know I was sent solo at the right time though, at each point of that circuit I knew exactly what I had to do and felt totally calm about the whole thing.

I am so completely, unbelievably stoked! 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

What can I say.... other than, "YOU DID IT" Congratulations :thumb_up:

Seriously I can still remember my solo, every detail! It's the best, and you'll be ever a happy bird now! eh?! :big_grin: ;)

Thanks all! :big_grin:

The pic isn't actually my first solo pic, still waiting to get that sent to me. Pic's from a few weeks ago with 5231 :) (soloed in 4964)

I'm still trying to convince myself it happened! Even when I was flying it, it didn't seem real. Although I think that was partly because I knew what I was doing so it felt kinda...normal?...as well as being totally exciting (hopefully that makes sense!). I absolutely can't wait to get up there and do it again!

My sincerest apologies Darky for starting work on changing the Students forum into the new help section for students which stopped congratulatory replies to you on your going solo.

I have moved your thread here to Announcements as when anyone goes solo or gets their license it IS a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT.

Well done and my congratulations on this the most exciting time of your flying life and it may be hard to imagine but it even gets better then this mammoth occasion

011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif 011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Yay

Now that I can reply I will....

:clap:CONGRATS:clap:

The first solo is sooooo good.

Hope the grin doesn't disappear for months

:man flying:Well Done Darky

Bec

...wot took you so long??:hittinghead:

I think it took me longer because I'm so 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif short!

On Wednesday we added a third cushion (this one under me to make me taller) and on Saturday I go solo. Connection? Yes I think so! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I'm not bothered though, it's all good experience - I've messed up so many landings I'm a pretty dab hand at fixing them! (so when I land on one wheel I apparantly laugh rather than scream) :big_grin:

Awesome work Darky! Sounds like we need an audio recording of one of your circuits... 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

pahahahaha, that would be rather hilarious! :big_grin:

I talked to myself on upwind, sang (tunelessly) on crosswind, talked to myself and laughed on downwind, talked to myself on base and final (seem to do that a lot don't I?) and laughed myself silly on landing 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

The talking, singing and laughing are what make it fun....more so when you "accidently" press down on the radio button....025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Bec, what did you do?! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

And yes, still smiling! :big_grin: Suffering withdrawal symptoms now though, can't wait to have another crack at it by myself!