i-Phone Efis.

gregrobertson

Oh gods help us. The iCult is spreading to aviation... hahaha

They are amazing little devices, but in order to get one you have to do unspeakable things with Steve Jobs, or so I'm told.

It's not a bad system, I guess. No doubt they'll charge a fortune for it. The things that can be done nowdays are quite amazing, really.

WARNING

Please use the iHUD responsibly. iHUD is not intended for steering airplanes, helicopters, boats, motorcycles, and other powered vehicles, and UFO's. It is for entertainment and educational purposes only

I'm putting one in my UFO straight away

According to the application store it is $7.99. I would give it a try except that I don't have an i-phone and to prise my wife's i-phone from her would be grounds for divorce. There are all sorts of disclaimers as Turboplanner has mentioned but it might be a bit of fun and might be surprisingly accurate although to rely on it would be courting disaster.

Regards

Greg.

WARNING Please use the iHUD responsibly. iHUD is not intended for steering airplanes, helicopters, boats, motorcycles, and other powered vehicles, and UFO's. It is for entertainment and educational purposes only

I'm putting one in my UFO straight away

HA HA, i love it,ps- ive been looking for a UFO, but cant find one forsale, maybe i should check the other planets classifieds LOL:big_grin:

You can buy a UFO. I dont see them often around here, they are extremely quiet at flyins because they never get off the trailer....sometimes dont even know theyre there. Most are sold to South Africa I believe.

Ralph

HA HA, i love it,ps- ive been looking for a UFO, but cant find one forsale, maybe i should check the other planets classifieds LOL:big_grin:

That's pretty cool though.... You could mount it to the handle bars of the motor bike to see what angle of bank you're doing! not to mention pitch, and altitude!:thumb_up::thumb_up:

:big_grin:

Pity the iphone and the ipad don't have usb ports, only the apple proprietary plug. Though I don't know if the device can be a host itself. If it can act as a host, you might be able to get an iphone-usb adaptor, and use a usb gyro as the horizon source. That'd need a more perminant installation, though. :P

Speaking of i-pads I was down at our local camping shop and came across an i-pood. A high tech camping aid. Consists of a folding shovel with a toilet roll holder attached, it didn't have a USB port either.

Regards

Greg

An artificial horizon based on an accelerometer?That's same as flying in cloud with a string attached overhead with a weight tied to the end and saying that you always know where the ground is because the weight always points to it.033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

But Slarti, it will work . . . if you fly at a constant (ground) speed and only do flat turns.

I'll let you know when I've figured out how to do flat turns in a trike . . . 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I do confess though, that work bought me an iPhone on Friday and I blame it on this thread that I went and bought the iHUD app.

Now where's the iPhone GPS app with Airservice's maps.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

Cheers,

Glen

• 3 weeks later...

CoPilot is good though sometimes I have to add my own waypoints (I like to do navs that involve tiny towns or stations :-)). I actually don't use it for much, I should try its nav mode as I haven't tried that yet.

Steven.

Guest drizzt1978

There is an awesome weather radar, and one to log on to NAIPS to get current weather, Very Very handy, for on the go weather updates...

Guest basscheffers
An artificial horizon based on an accelerometer?That's same as flying in cloud with a string attached overhead with a weight tied to the end and saying that you always know where the ground is because the weight always points to it.033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Yet that is exactly what every other modern, affordable, EFIS does! (Dynon, Blue Mountain, MGL, etc.) Heck, probably G1000 too.

What is debatable is that all of those have more accelerometers than the iPhone, possibly of higher quality. Not to mention better engineers that manage to write better algorithms to interpret the readings.

Guest basscheffers
I haven't tried them yet.... not sure how good their aussie support is...

Most seem to be non-existant. Real shame; some of the higher end ones even use Jeppesen data, so why not load up the APAC Jeppesen database. Frustrating as the Aussie market is way too small to locally develop a good version and make a living off it.

Yet that is exactly what every other modern, affordable, EFIS does! (Dynon, Blue Mountain, MGL, etc.) Heck, probably G1000 too.What is debatable is that all of those have more accelerometers than the iPhone, possibly of higher quality. Not to mention better engineers that manage to write better algorithms to interpret the readings.

Uh... I suppose, but that wouldn't be a real AH then. Much like the one a coworker has installed in his RV4 - the 'horizon' changes with VSI and turn coordinator! I WTF'd at that.

If you had a very sensitive array of accelerometers on all three axes laterally and rotationally, and your aircraft was level when you aligned the system, then it could work. But I'd personally rather a few laser ring gyros or even crusty old mechanical gyros to that.

Guest basscheffers

Yup, you are right, I stand corrected!

Looking into them a bit, these are *NOT* the ultra precise laser gyros as used on airliners. They require a lot of trickery, like additional acceleromteres and pitot/static data to be accurate enough. Still an improvement over accelerometers alone, no doubt.

quick radar

Talking of the iPhone, my friend had his with Optus and I with Telstra. Guess who had the best reception most of the way.

Last October flying back to Sydney from Ballarat There were some dirty storms brewing so I pulled out the iPhone and had a saved bookmark on my home screen and checked the BOM radar while flying, Very handy.

Turned to Temora and stayed the night. Got to see Temora for my first time and hopefully again at easter.

Guess?? I have no idea, but I'm currently shopping around for an iPhone and best reception will probably be the deciding factor? Please tell, which one provides the better reception?