Aus-Kosh Vs Natfly

Which name do you prefer?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which name do you prefer?

• Aus-Kosh
    • Natfly

Guest basscheffers
Remember the event held by the EAA at Oshkosh is now known as AIRVENTURE.

The problem was that originally, it was called "The EAA Annual Convention and Fly-In", which is way too long in conversation so everybody called it "Oshkosh". Only in 1998 was it changed to Airventure. And everybody still says they are "going to Oshkosh".

Guest basscheffers
Good that it is an event and not a place name like Oshkosh because it can be moved around. Clearly, Temora is on notice that, while having done a great job in 2010, they need to keep improving if they don't want NATFLY to move on in 3 years time.

If NatFly keeps growing, it won't matter; it will be stuck in Temora as permanent infrastructure will have to be built. If I were Temora council, that's what I would do; make the facilities so good NatFly won't want to leave as any other location will be inferior.

If they hold not just a flying day but also major airshow in the next two years, that is exactly what will happen. It'll get too big to move.

And I don't think that would be a bad thing at all!

I heard BUT please don't quote me on this as it is hearsay that the Council were so impressed with it all they may be spending $2m on infrastructure at the Airport now.

In the US they have Airventure and Sun-n-Fun and it is very possible that with NatFly and the Northern Flyin we could very well end up in a similar situation...thinking out loud!

Guest ozzie

yes if it was held in the same location each year then it will give the various groups a firm base to build on as far as amenities ect go. each year it will recieve a little bit more investment and that will make things such as camping and moving people around a little easier and more civilised. Even if the other fractions don't wish to attend at the same time as us then if they wish they can use the amenities and contribute to the overall site as well. But i think the pressure of indivdual members of the groups will see a "Airventure' type event over the easter break happening, most likely expanding into 7/10 day flyin regardless of the petty politics and egos.

As for the good people of Temora, i have personally been on the receiving end of their generosity and community spirit back in '92.Tthey will do whatever it takes to make it happen. from the aerial photos that have been posted here it has come a long way since i was there. I am sure that they are already planning not only for next year but a lot further down the track and possibly to cater for others as well and not just the RAAus.

Ozzie

I think the figure Carol told me was $3 million. The council were amazed at the size of the gathering and fully intend to try to keep it. I hope they do.

When Carol finishes sleeping (a well earned 3 days I would imagine), she may confirm this, and comment on the event from her perspective.

I would like to congratulate Carol and the other organisers on their achievement. To have such a successful event with so few problems on the first attempt must have taken an incredible amount of planning and hard work.

I didn't see Carol sit still the whole weekend.

Kudos to the council and town for their support too.

As for the poll, Aus-Kosh can be a cute nickname. Natfly should remain the official title.

One of the ride-on support vehicles was getting around with an Aus-Kosh placard. It was very cute.

Guest basscheffers
And have a mogas supply on hand for those of that persuasion?

MOGAS is a tough one to provide. Our local refueler at Parafield is paranoid about liability arising from bad batches, etc. I reckon many traditional aviation refueler will be as short-sighted. Many regular fuel vendors may also be happy with knowing that people fill up their aircraft with their MOGAS, but actually marketing it as such may also bring liability fears.

Does anyone know of ANY airfields that have a MOGAS bowser or truck that is available to the public?

Aldinga has a bowser, but that is only for Adelaide Biplanes' own use, they won't sell it to anyone. Likely because of the hoops they'd have to jump through to become a fuel supplier rather than just using it privately.

I'm sure RAAus will be telling Temora Council how successful NatFly was. But if we think Temora was a good location (I did), how about we fire off a few supportive emails to the Temora Council telling them how good we thought the town and the airport was. Here we have a small country town Council who have stuck their neck out, saw a future for their town in aviation, and invested heavily in it. Now they have a world class aviation museum and the national RAAus flyin. Many 1000's of people come to see both. The risk they took is starting to pay dividends. Lot's of people know where Temora is now!

Encouraging Temora Council with emails or letters of support gives them something they can point to and justify to themselves and the ratepayers that it's money well spent. And when your own Council starts rumblings about closing or downgrading airports maybe you can show them what Temora has done.

Here's their contact page

Peter

Guest ozzie

When we first went to Temora it was probably more known amongst the trotting people for a famous horse 'paleface adios' We were looking for an area that had good weather of light winds no fog ect and the guys in the met office told us to try temora. they were right the weather was perfect for us. Whilst there i was amazed that it was not more known amongst aviators as it already had a big history as an AFTS during world war two. training many pilots in Tiger Moths.There were over a 100 tigers based there.

They had active aero and gliding clubs and by the time we left they had added skydiving.

The town had banded together and helped the team with moral and financial support with a few fund raises and we made a lot of friends. the team left Temora straight for the world meet, i took the turbine beaver back for some maintenance and headed back several more times until they bought their own jumpship and the team went back for a visit to show off their flashy GOLD medals. Temora and it's people were a big factor in the team winning. Actually i am amazed the place did not catch on earlier.

Ozzie

Natfly - Auskosh

Natfly for me. Our national fly in.

This is the first one I have been to in my own plane. Been to Narromine in the past in other vehicles. The town was fantastic. Only prob was lack of facilities at the southern end of the field (taxiway G). I have emailed Eugene with some suggestions for the future.

A permanent location makes a lot of sense. Investment in infrastructure not the least of it. Refer to comment re taxiway G.

I am sure competition will be hot when the contract comes up next time. Good time not to be on the board I think.

Overall a great place and a great event. The people involved in the prep and organisation need to be congratulated on a job very well done. There must be lots of them. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

See ya, Ding.

Don't start me on the "Americinization".

Perhaps "Jabfly" 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif...

A comment I heard from many was while it was great to see all those acft, it would be even better to see them "doing" something. Perhaps if the museum could have co-ordinate a flying day??.. Attract even more people and a cross section of enthusiast's.

Although, when i was in the museum i realised why they probably won't, lots of "paying" cunstomers through the doors, and a $2 charge to use the toilet...

Anyway, I for one hope it stays at Tem.

Sadly I could'nt make it this year, but by all accounts, to move the event to Temora was a real success story, with very few complaints.

There can always be improvements, and no doubt the hard working organisers are already considering ways to make it even better next year.

The financial input to the local community must have really excited the Council and locals judgeing by the responce, and they will no doubt want to see it get bigger and better.

Well done to all concerned, I can't wait to see how NatFly 2011 unfolds.

Natfly does it for me, or 'national flyin' if I'm talking about it to someone not in the know.

Should be called 'Locustfly' really, considering their contribution this yr. 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif :big_grin:

Temora is the way to go, some commented on the distance required to get from that end to the other, but most big shows I've been to you have to go pretty big distances anyway.

The bigger it gets, the further you'll have to walk! ;)

Temora it is, and I'm 110% pleased with this yrs outcome.

Guest Caithness

NatFly it should remain. I also noticed the placard on the golf cart "Aus-Kosh" and thought cute, but let's preserve our own identity, not copy the USA. It would actually water down the NatFly "brand" by causing confusion in the public eye. As per another post earlier, please send messages of support to RAAus, Temora Shire and Temora Aero Club. I went to my first NatFly in Narromine 2 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the incredible aero club facilities there, but Temora has much better long term potential. I understand that the shire spent around $400,000 on bitumen paving, new toilet/showers etc. The on-site catering was a bit rudimentary, but they just don't currently have the space like Narromine's clubrooms. No doubt that will improve, but it's a small negative on a great weekend.

It was interesting to see the corporate jet come in on Saturday night and taxi around the back of the museum. If you check the aerial photo in the RAAus programme guide you'll notice the same jet parked at the end of the taxiway and the date on the Google photo? 25 Dec, Christmas Day. David Lowy home for Christmas?

• 2 weeks later...