CTAF radio calls

XP503

ossie 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif, I can't keep up with the cryptic clues and red herrings.

Mazda; I don't have a problem with joining on base becoming legal, although it will make effective communication (and lookout) even more important I believe, introducing yet another potential point of conflict for traffic. The fact of it's not being legal doesn't stop people from doing it though, particularly at a familiar field where unofficial local procedures tend to creep in.

In general I think the amendments make sense, although we are straying from the original point that a) the calls made by David's friend do comply with the law as it currently stands, and

b) our C210 driver was out of line in launching into a rant on air.

this is were recording the transmissions comes in handy. Easy and cheap to do these days, not only can you forward it with your compliant on to CASA to handle but you can also post it on various websites and forums to humble the impolite types. Ozzie

I may stand corrected, but I thought it was highly illegal to record aircraft radio broadcasts let alone publish them on the net.????? - and yes I know some smart people are able to get the transmissions into their videos.

Folks,

For those of you who waded through the NFRM, the most important point is that CTAF/CTAF® ceases to have any meaning, radio (and its use) will be mandatory at any Certified or Registered aerodrome ----- quite a change to the present.

In short, virtually every airfield listed in ERSA (or operations in the vicinity off -- 10nm radius) will require carriage and use of radio.

Provisions for radio failure and the need to get to where repairs can be made are limited, sales of handhelds look like booming.

Regards,

Guest ozzie
I may stand corrected, but I thought it was highly illegal to record aircraft radio broadcasts let alone publish them on the net.????? - and yes I know some smart people are able to get the transmissions into their videos.

tomo

of course it is, what isn't in the 21st century.

amazing i thought i would be the one slowly gaining weight with age. my poor 30 year old lazair seems to have to suffer the same fate with age. add this and add that a mandatory kilo here and there. strewth the add ons will soon weigh more than the aircraft. maybe my lighter wallet will bring the W&B back within limits

really getting peeved off with that retired bus driver.GRRRRR

The radio calls are pretty simple stuff from my view. Especially in the circuit. They're like indicators on cars - you don't need them but it helps if people use them. I find it second nature to look before you move and give a radio call when all is clear. I use my cars indicators in the same manner.

Funny how you can lose your driving licence if you don't use your indicators a half dozen times but people can get away without making radio calls indefinitely. Comes down to the flying community to keep people in line at the end of the day.

Not sure if any of you can remember, I've talked about it before; but I once had a guy get up me for doing radio transmissions when he was trying to teach students to land... extremely bad airmanship I was told. 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif040_nerd.gif.818f42a429bd433d10428d88b6b4d49f.gif

As a student who today did my first session of solo circuits, I find it essential for more radio calls to be made (than fewer) to help me interpret traffic whereabouts. Particularly if the performance differences between aircraft is vast (as it is where I'm training). Although I'm trying to develop good airmanship, as a novice I also rely on it being displayed by others, so I can learn from those more experienced than I.

I had a qlink wishing to land on the opposing runway to the circuit direction which I was established in. If I hadn't made my calls on each leg of the circuit, he may not have had the picture of where i was, could have been quite interesting.

While I can understand making every call in a congested frequency might not be desirable, I'd rather have some idea of where traffic is and their intentions before I find out by accident...

For those who are worried about landing charges,some pilots will say for example"Cessna 172 on base"instead of giving their rego.Thats far safer than simply not making a call at all.None of us like landing charges,but safety is paramount.

Simple solution in my opinion,

1. Get his callsign

2. Get the time it happened.

3. Ring CASA/RA-Aus and report it.

That's totally unacceptable especially from a GA pilot flying a C210.

Guest ozzie

won't be long before airports back up the radio calls with cameras to identify the non broadcasters. or like they have in parking lots now the magnetic transponders.

I know a fair few airports have video cameras on the runway but they're ones that take a photo every 30 minutes or something, so kinda useless in this situation. But you're right, in this day in age someone will invent something.

----for example"Cessna 172 on base"instead of giving their rego

Les,What really gets on my wick is pilots using a false callsign, and I get the bills. On one occasion I got three in one weekend, thousands of miles apart.

One chap actually had false regos taped on the aircraft, then made the mistake of wheeling in to a set of fuel pumps ----- owned by the operator of the aircraft with the legitimate registration.

As you can imagine, the punch-up was something to behold -- best comedy I had seen in ages.

Folks, if you insist in committing fraud, plus a handful of CASA type strict liability criminal offenses, please don't do it at the expense of air safety, just say "Cessna 172 ----- ------".

Regards,

Guest magcheck

From another aspect, using your correct callsign can be very advantageous if you go missing or are overdue.

One of the first places AusSAR willl go to is the airport managers or avdata and ask them to replay the tapes to see what aircraft have been through or at the field. Can really help narrow down the search.

Even if its not your aircraft that is missing - it may well be that your call may be heard and you may be contacted to see if you heard the missing aircraft or if you can provide updates on the weather you encountered at the time.

Two weeks ago when the aircraft went missing in the West without a flightplan, most strips around Perth were contacted and requested to replay their CTAF tapes

As you can imagine, false callsigns could potentially even slow a search down - for example if you used the callsign of the missing aircraft

Bill,

This has happened many times to me as well.Then I have to ring CASA and explain I was nowhere near the place I was billed for.Apparently the practice(of using a false call sign)is fairly common.For what its worth,some of the regional airports have a groundsman driving around noting rego numbers of parked aircraft,so beware!

• 1 year later...
Guest Timberwooky

At Renmark I make the downwind call for the active runway with intentions and only make the base and final calls if there is other traffic in the vicinity. Certainly I make calls on every turn if there is other traffic in the pattern, and out here they generally declare their presence when you make the downwind call. Not too many pilots fly NORAD out here, or without declaring their presence and if they have no radio they won't hear you anyway. I think good judgement and common sense should prevail in use of the radio and the usual good lookout.

-10 mile inbound

-Crosswind

-Downwind

-Base

-Final

Hi David

I am really sorry you and your friend had to put up with the ignorance of someone who simply shouldn't be allowed to fly.

As others have already stated, your friend did precisely the right thing according to law. And I think another list member probably identified the problem as a pilot who had his proposed straight-in approach "interfered with" by another aircraft. In fact of course, he had to give way in the event of conflict, anyway because you were already in the circuit.

People like that give all GA pilots a bad name and their behaviour is potentially dangerous: either by upsetting the other pilot to the extent they make an error or because they have managed to get themselves so irate that they make one.

Report him!

kaz

A little while back at Tyagarah ALA I gave joining downwind, base and final full stop rwy 23 as I saw the skydive Caravan taxying. Just as I was rounding out the Caravan announced entering and backtracking 23 which he did forthwith. Caravans look quite large from head on. He heard all the calls but said he assumed I was doing a touch and go. Not certain what that had to do with it. So even with all the radio calls in the world it's no substitute for see and avoid.

ps he wasn't rude. I believe he held a CPL.

cheers John

A little while back at Tyagarah ALA I gave joining downwind, base and final full stop rwy 23 as I saw the skydive Caravan taxying. Just as I was rounding out the Caravan announced entering and backtracking 23 which he did forthwith. Caravans look quite large from head on. He heard all the calls but said he assumed I was doing a touch and go. Not certain what that had to do with it. So even with all the radio calls in the world it's no substitute for see and avoid.ps he wasn't rude. I believe he held a CPL.

cheers John

A good Human Factors case drifter, no ill intentions, just brain fade on his part.

At our non-towered airport we make calls at 3nm with intentions to join......, and at mid-downwind with intentions for a full stop or t/g at RWY "xx".

If other AC are in the vicinity then a call at short final. I find the RPT pilots really easy to communicate with and very courteous. Best comms I had though was with an antinov pilot. I was holding short and waiting his inbound. When he turned long final for Rwy 14 he thanked me for doing so and asked how long I had been living here. I should have declined answering him and replied "too long" and shut down my engine to conserve $$.