New Toy

Well after a lot of questions to most of you I have finally made my decision. I have made an offer on a Jab170 at Adelaide Soaring Club Gawler. I looked at many different aircraft and drove most of you nuts with questions but in the end value for money the Jab170 ticked the most boxes for what I want to achieve and most importantly I could actually afford. There will be a few students at Gawler that will not like me because it is by far the best aircraft to fly out of the three 170's. Best of all I will be able to do the rest of my training in my own aircraft. Now I have to get the paperwork done and organize insurance.

photo.JPG.fbf005ab10bd6c77dd4cebd726905f08.JPG

• Like 6

Wooooo hoooo. Great news! Looks like Gawler will get another trainer and that lifts the Jabiru total at the airfield. Soon we will ask all the others to leave and call for a name change. Adelaide Jabiru Club & Training School. Very good news and very exciting when you get to purchase your own plane. Can't wait to go one some flights with you when your training is done. Concratulations.

Mardy

• Like 1

Congratulations!!!! As they say 'persistence always pays off and no wise decision was ever made in haste'.

I've only flown a Jab 170 on one occasion which was two years ago when I did my BFR, they are a nice aircraft.

Have you managed to find hangar space?

Alan.

• Like 1

I am going to keep it very short term in the current hangar. I have to move it out though asap. Herm is keeping an eye out for me so the more that are talking and looking I should be ok. My biggest fear now is not having any where to put her. I am working on insurance today. i was thinking of ground only but I will pay the money for the first year and get full insurance although it is exceptionally expensive. Chris from Central West Flying School has put me onto a good guy so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Well after a lot of questions to most of you I have finally made my decision. I have made an offer on a Jab170 at Adelaide Soaring Club Gawler. I looked at many different aircraft and drove most of you nuts with questions but in the end value for money the Jab170 ticked the most boxes for what I want to achieve and most importantly I could actually afford. There will be a few students at Gawler that will not like me because it is by far the best aircraft to fly out of the three 170's. Best of all I will be able to do the rest of my training in my own aircraft. Now I have to get the paperwork done and organize insurance.

congratulations, that's great to know; I'm in a similar position and the 170 looks good to me too. What was it about that 170 that made it the best to fly?

Hi Cooperplace,

I annoyed everyone at my local airfield and on this site asking question after question.

I bought my Jab170 at a great price so that helped.

I am a big boy weighing in at 114kg so weight was a big issue. The 170 has a mtow of 600kg. The 160 is only around 540kg and the 230 is 600kg but the usable is a lot less.

The 170 has the biggest cockpit of the Jab's.

With the 2200 engine and 130 ltrs of fuel the range is good for what I wanted. Most aircraft i cant fill the tanks or I am over mtow with a passenger.

There where low wing aircraft I loved but where out of my price bracket.

The shell of the Jab is very strong and makes your chances of survival should all go wrong better.

I know the big issue is the engine but I have done nearly 20 practice engine failures in the past 3 weeks since going solo so hopefully i can survive.

Repairs are easy and parts are available in almost every where in Australia.

There are better aircraft but bang for my buck i chose this one. Everyone to their own. Yes i would love a Foxbat but i don't have $100k for a second hand one.

Give me six months as an owner and i will see if my list is still valid.

Congratulations John, 7314 is a good aircraft and my preference also, had her out on sunday and looks like it was my last fly in her.051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Jabiru's are very good airplanes. so I'm sure your list will be valid in six months,

Hope it all comes together, well done for getting yourself an aircraft, actually when you think that flight has really only been around for about 100 years, those of us that fly and own aircraft are very privalidged human beings....

• Like 1

Guest Andys@coffs
I'd never heard of this brand, so I did a Bing search. Very nice airplane! And the price of a new one is quite reasonable. Is this a pilot/copilot seating only or are rear seats an option? Just a nice looking plane!David

David the 170 is only 2 seats, the J230, also 2 seats, can become a J430 when the back 2 are added. More details here, www.jabiru.net.au and there is a jabiru usa website that may be more relevant to you.

Compulsion,

You make the claim "The shell of the Jab is very strong and makes your chances of survival should all go wrong better" and Im going to tell you that is a falacy. Modern cars have much greater survival rates and they sure as hell are not stronger than those in the past, where it was not unheard of to find a crash with little damage to the car and the driver was still dead. At the end of the day it is G force in an aircraft crash that does the job. if your body has to deal with G force in excess of 50G then you likely wont survice to complain about it. Weight limitations in our end of the market (LSA) mean that the only chance we have with a crash is not to have one because there is simply no crumple zones or airbags or any of the other safety solutions designed to reduce the blunt force G that your body is subject to. If you understand that, and the old maxim "The angle of arrival is inversly proportional to the chances of survival" then you'll do well. Any claim that aircraft type X in the LSA market is likely to have a better outcome than type Y, or just any other, other than balistic parachutes are at this point in time, in general B/S. Ther are very good reasons for that little sticker on the panel that says words to the effect that "this aircraft doesnt have to comply with standard airworthiness requirements, so if your in it, you takes your chances"

regards

Andy

Andy

Well Andy I am sure you are right. I have to say that between Instructors, Flying schools and buying aircraft I am fed up with RA experience. I have decided not to go into detail on a forum but the aircraft I thought I had bought and paid for is no longer and I now need to get my money back. My experience's with RA in SA so far has been appalling.

Hi Compulsion

So sad to hear that things went 'pear shaped'. Don't lose your faith in the RA experience, you will find there is more joy than sorrow. You will find that when you visit other aero clubs, attend Natfly and generally knock around with flyers, that they are all pretty much a great bunch. When I saw that you were purchasing the J170 I was excited for you as your reasons to purchase matched my thinking as well. There are other J170's out there for sale, just take the attitude that this deal was never meant to be for a reason. When you buy the one that you want you will look back and say "If that deal never fell through I wouldn't have this one". I continually trawl through the ads dreaming about the planes I wish I could afford and envy those that can afford them.

Keep your chin up.

Cheers

Puddles

Hi Compulsion very sorry to hear what has happened, no doubt either through a personal message, my son Mardy or I eventually meet you at Gawler, I will get to hear what happened, but in the mean time cheer up mate, we are ALL behind you on this forum and I know that things will turn out well cos Ican feel it in my water.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

Thanks Puddles. Hope to meet a lot of the great people in RA one day at a fly in some where. When I get my certificate and an aircraft I am sure the wold will become a better place. LOL

Bugger!

Keep ya chin up.. It's not the RA that's the problem it's the Club... Without going into too many details we have a few wing nuts we have to deal with. I guess this often happens when you get large numbers of people together. Keep looking as your aircraft is waiting to be found and don't let it effect you goal of getting signed off and having your own plane. Still a pretty good club and in time you will know who and what not to bother with. I am really sorry for you and can fully understand your disappointment. I will still keep and eye and ear out for any space or deals that I think may be helpful. They should not have taken any deposit until they were sure. In legal terms once money has changed hands a contract of sale has been accepted....

This will make thier future dealings difficult as future buyers that find out about this may have second thoughts dealing with them... A real shame for all really.

good luck on your search mate... have you considered a savannah? I learnt to fly in a savannah, and its performance is simply breathtaking... took off the other morning, i was seeing 1300-1400 fpm climb (one up)! On the flip side, cruise will be lower then the Jab

• 3 weeks later...