New GM announced via Twitter

slartibartfast

Pickle me grandmother!

RAAus are tweeting.

Via a retweet from Bas, I discoved the new GM has been announced here - http://www.raa.asn.au/2013/03/general-manager-and-technical-manger-announcement-06032013/.

The position has been offered to Mr Mark Clayton and has been provisionally accepted.

Presumable he's the CEO you have when you're not having a CEO.

I'm now following RAAus on Twitter. Let's see what else I learn.

This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.

Does anyone know anything about him?

There is a Mark Clayton (one of many) on Linkedin. Could this one be him?

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=28846462&authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=33Jl&locale=en_US&srchid=&srchindex=11&srchtotal=205&goback=.fps_PBCK_*1_Mark_Clayton_*1_*1_*1_*1_*2_*1_Y_*1_*1_*1_false_2_R_*1_*51_*1_*51_true_CC%2CN%2CG%2CI%2CPC%2CED%2CL%2CFG%2CTE%2CFA%2CSE%2CP%2CCS%2CF%2CDR_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2&pvs=ps&trk=pp_profile_photo_link

If so he seems to be a pretty high flyer (no pun intended). 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

"Specialties: Project Management, Program Management, Change Management, Financial Planning, Stakeholder Management, Governance, Strategic Planning, Technology Team Structures, Mergers and Acquisitions."

DWF:plane:

• Caution 1

Might just be a Clayton's solution? Nev

Hopefully a 'Clayton's Solution' will prove to have more content than the "Hobson's Choice" ( 070_sleep.gif.1c8d367a0c12958f2106584470af404d.gif) we had last time around.

Might just be a Clayton's solution? Nev

Hi Nev.

I'm assuming you know that's why I said "Presumably he's the CEO you have when you're not having a CEO."

Only us old fellas will remember those ads.

Just noticed the error. Of course I meant to type "presumably".

Come on Fellahs. Give the man a fair go, please.

I don’t know Mark Clayton from a bar of soap. But I do know Hunter Jones, one of the other blokes on the GM shortlist who made it to the interviews. And I’ll make no bones about it, I did everything I could to help Hunter get the job because I know he’s a switched on man and we’d work well together.

When Hunter rang me to tell me he hadn’t got the job, I reckon I was almost as disappointed as he was. And when Kate Prior, the Lady from F2Frecruiting, rang me yesterday to tell me my start date would have to be Tuesday because Monday is a public holiday in Canberra, I told her I was disappointed Hunter hadn’t got the job, and I asked why he hadn’t got it. Kate told me the three GM candidates were neck and neck at the end of the interviews on Thursday with Hunter ahead by a hair. But that on Friday morning, before the remaining two TM interviews got underway, it was decided that Mark’s personality would be a better fit in RA Aus.

I have to tell you: at first I didn’t believe that, because Hunter is a top bloke. But then I thought, hang on a minute, I don’t know Mark from a bar of soap. But Mike App, Steve Runciman and Geoff Kidd interviewed these blokes. They do know them. And at least two out of the three interviewers decided that Mark was the better man for the job. With that in mind, I’ve come to the realization that I’m going to be in hog heaven (and I’ve told Hunter this) because I’m going to be working with a bloke that Mike, Steve and Geoff have assessed will be better to work with than Hunter. Okay, it’s selfish of me to say this. But how good is that for me? And by extension, I reckon the odds are it’s going to be bloody good for RA Aus too.

So please Fellahs, let’s give the man a fair go.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 2

Guest Escadrille

Well I do know Mark. He lives here in Toowoomba and currently works at the University of Southern Queensland .He is passionate about aircraft and his Luscombe. (Man of taste) I have flown with him and can vouch for the fact that he is a top bloke. You will be , as you say Wayne, be in hog heaven.

However I feel sorry for you poor bu&&ers having to live in CanbBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRAAaaa.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Andy

Moving to Canberra ( grafton/ Graft an corruption) is the only downside. Looks pretty somedays but why was it built? Public servants everywhere. Don't let it get you down. You can cycle round the lake.

Let's hope the show takes of from here. The last year or so has been "draining" . Welcome too Mark. and commiserations to those who just missed out. nev

Mate .... he owns a Luscombe ... a vintage tail wheeler ... I love him already ... what class is that ... LOL

Welcome Mark and may the force be with you ....

We finally now have the potential to embark on the most successful stage of RA Aus in history ... lets all get behind it.

I am sure there will be ongoing issues, but if the communication lines are open and we all understand what we are trying to achieve, we will all get behind the program and run with it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Kate told me the three GM candidates were neck and neck at the end of the interviews on Thursday with Hunter ahead by a hair. But that on Friday morning, before the remaining two TM interviews got underway, it was decided that Mark’s personality would be a better fit in RA Aus.

How about that, discrimination eh? And in Canberra too. Isn't there laws against this, should not all three have gotten the job? 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• Like 1

My old university, although I tended to steer clear of the arts faculty. Those cats were a little....odd!

Interesting that they used personality as a reason to pick between the applicants at the end, I hope they qualified that decision with some sort of evidence base. I'm knee deep in four years of personality research at the moment, and in my experience there is a whole lot more to personality (and performance) than what can be subjectively judged from the outside.....

Regardless, congrats to the successful applicant and fingers crossed for the future. It is not an easy time to be taking over, but could be a very rewarding time if the new GM is willing to work with the members.

• Agree 1

Guest Andys@coffs

I think the Recruitment process is a bit like democracry, shown to be flawed time and time again, but no-one can put up a viable long term alternate that is better....so all that said, Im behind the choices 110% and will do what ever I can to assist.....

Andy

Well I know Hunter to some degree and he certainly came across to me as a person with his head screwed on! Despite this, its pleasing to hear we now have a stable base to try and rebuild this debacle we have and move on.

A bit more new blood at the top as well wouldnt hurt. Looking forward to the next 12 months of RAA..

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 1

Congratulations to Wayne and Mark. The combined ages of their aeroplanes may exceed their own!

If our HQ is to stay in Canberra, perhaps we should give David Edmunds and CRAA our support. They have been slogging away for years trying to build a rec airfield in the ACT. We would all benefit if it went ahead, but the worst of admin obstruction seems to be happening.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

An old fool (like me) muses.... 'Wayne T....? Mark C....? T....? C....? Mark T....? Mark Twayne....? 'Mark Twain!' and immediately I conjure up a vision of good old fashioned, down home, common sense guidance/governance being in the offing. OK, it's late in the day, the tool box is closed and the Engel's been opened but the scenario still has bags of promise. I reckon that any RAA member who cares will (must) stand behind these two brave bods whilst they join with the other RAA Dept Mgrs to get us back on the road. Best wishes and Godspeed to you both (but condolences offered for the compulsory relocation to the ACT. Thanks guys.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

An old fool (like me) muses.... 'Wayne T....? Mark C....? T....? C....? Mark T....? Mark Twayne....? 'Mark Twain!' and immediately I conjure up a vision of good old fashioned, down home, common sense guidance/governance being in the offing. OK, it's late in the day, the tool box is closed and the Engel's been opened but the scenario still has bags of promise. I reckon that any RAA member who cares will (must) stand behind these two brave bods whilst they join with the other RAA Dept Mgrs to get us back on the road. Best wishes and Godspeed to you both (but condolences offered for the compulsory relocation to the ACT. Thanks guys.

Holy mackeral, getting from Wayne T...? Mark C...? and around the key board to rearrange the words and conjure up a vision of Mark Twain...? Now that's clever. And I thank you for the compliment by association. But I have to ask you Riley. What were you smoking? It had to be really good stuff...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Waddayamean Wayne ... Rileys always smokin ..... ROFL

He's gotta be on something... some of the stuff that finds its way out of his head should probably stay there. Sometimes I sit in wonder, speechless:laugh:

All the best and good luck with the position Wayne.

Pud

• Winner 1