Skyfox AD

metalman

Hi all, a mate of mine has a Skyfox and needs a carry through strut with the relevant paperwork ,the company that makes them is no more and he can't get rego without it, anyone with a written off one or a contact that's making them,

Matty

Hi Matt,

Coastal Aviation on the Sunshine Coast (Rob Stowe) is suppling Sky Fox parts so he would be worth a phone call or Tony Kerr at Gympie Aviation Maintenance in Gympie, I can't find their number right now but if you do an internet search I am sure you will find both numbers.

David

• Agree 1

@@metalman2 make sure it is the one that is filled with Fish Oil as there were some made without it and I think, if I recall properly, that Fish Oil filled was in the AD.

That AD came out due to the wing snapping off a Gazelle that was doing a Christmas Lolly Drop and both father and son were killed

• Like 1

@@metalman2 make sure it is the one that is filled with Fish Oil as there were some made without it and I think, if I recall properly, that Fish Oil filled was in the AD.

That AD came out due to the wing snapping off a Gazelle that was doing a Christmas Lolly Drop and both father and son were killed

yeh, the oil in the tubes is a normal part of the maintenance on them ,the extra tube was in response to that accident and a other where rust had weakened the carry through tube, although the one you mentioned was being aerobatted illegally , I think he tried coastal but I'll have to find out for sure, T Kerr didn't have any ,

Matty

yeh, the oil in the tubes is a normal part of the maintenance on them ,the extra tube was in response to that accident and a other where rust had weakened the carry through tube, although the one you mentioned was being aerobatted illegally , I think he tried coastal but I'll have to find out for sure, T Kerr didn't have any ,Matty

Yup, the other was a Skyfox off Bribie and my ex wife (wife at the time) was in it with a instructor.

• Like 1

Yup, the other was a Skyfox off Bribie and my ex wife (wife at the time) was in it with a instructor.

I'd heard you mention that before, apart from the problem in the first instance the airframe held together till they got it on the ground. I find it interesting that the Kitfox makes the claim of never having an inflight break up, and is considered a very strong design, why has the skyfox had this issue, being overstressed is one thing,,,,maybe the reputation has grown out of proportion to the problem, I know after 8-90 hours in one I can't see why they've got the reputation they have, I love mine and reckon it's no harder to land than a Eurofox, and a third of the price ,

Matty

• Like 2

I'd heard you mention that before, apart from the problem in the first instance the airframe held together till they got it on the ground. I find it interesting that the Kitfox makes the claim of never having an inflight break up, and is considered a very strong design, why has the skyfox had this issue, being overstressed is one thing,,,,maybe the reputation has grown out of proportion to the problem, I know after 8-90 hours in one I can't see why they've got the reputation they have, I love mine and reckon it's no harder to land than a Eurofox, and a third of the price ,Matty

In the case I mentioned. The carry through tube corroded from the inside out. I had photos of it, but they have been misplaced.

@@metalman2 make sure it is the one that is filled with Fish Oil as there were some made the accident without it and I think, if I recall properly, that Fish Oil filled was in the AD.

I don't think that is correct the accident you are referring to was a Skyfox not a gazelle and the wing was lost after severe overload.

Don't overspeed them and pull "G" at the same time. ( you shouldn't exceed speed anyhow but it can easily happen in a spiral.). Nev

I'm very careful in turbulence, you can get a big push and if you put the nose down without chopping power the VNE comes up pretty quick, they're a great plane but need to be treated right, like them all I guess

Matty

It certainly happens the way you describe, Matty. If you get an updraft and don't chop the power right back, you have to go up with it, or you are fast real quick. It's not a plane to teach spiral recoveries in. Nev

• Agree 1

Hi MealMan (Matty), do you fly a Skyfox gazelle and if so hours on the engine. We also fly a Gazelle, hangered at Penfield near Sunbury. We loove our Gazelle and its been a terrific reliable and low maintenence machine. My only regret is the limited fuel capacity (50l) which limits cross country trips. Any ideas for easily increasing capacity? Thanks Matt Walsh (coincidently we have same first names)

• Like 1

Here is an article on the lolly drop accident...it was a Skyfox and happened 9 years ago:

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/apn-father-son-die-in-ultralight/68946/

And here is the AN that came out after that accident:

http://www.raa.asn.au/documents/airworthiness/AN-02-12-2004_airframe_failure.pdf

Hi MealMan (Matty), do you fly a Skyfox gazelle and if so hours on the engine. We also fly a Gazelle, hangered at Penfield near Sunbury. We loove our Gazelle and its been a terrific reliable and low maintenence machine. My only regret is the limited fuel capacity (50l) which limits cross country trips. Any ideas for easily increasing capacity? Thanks Matt Walsh (coincidently we have same first names)

Hey Matt, mine is an VH experimental based on a Skyfox/Kitfox type, identical handling and I use the Skyfox speeds , I have 100 hp and carry 80litres for a four hour endurance,,,,I've just finished a trip to Longreach and back and have to say I love the little bugger! I have extra wing tanks and if yours is certified so no mods , but,,,,,I have heard of guys making a bigger collector tank to get more endurance , hope to catch up at some time, if you see the plane in my avatar be sure to say hello,

Matty

Metalman2, firstly apology for mispelling your name (ie Mealman) bad manners!. Thanks for replying and your aircraft sounds equally enjoyable as our Gazelle. I'd like to see a photo of her so post if you would. I am interested in your trip to Longreach, the route and fuel stops. Look forward also to meeting up with you and perhaps we can meet at Coldstream some time, cheers Matt

Here's a YouTube link, I've got a few videos of my plane and some other aircraft stuff, I'll keep in touch if I head out to pen field, otherwise if your coming over to the Yarra valley let me know, there's also the antiquers flyin at bar won heads coming up in a couple of weeks, I'm 99.9% sure I'm going , cheers Matty

• Like 1

Hi all, a mate of mine has a Skyfox and needs a carry through strut with the relevant paperwork ,the company that makes them is no more and he can't get rego without it, anyone with a written off one or a contact that's making them,Matty

Hi matty pm your email and I'll scan my carry through design specs that includes the details of who produced it. I'll have to scan it on Monday. Also how did you get on with the Ailerons I get an image of my jig on Sunday it you still need it. Im back from newcastle now. Enjoyed the video and nice looking country you fly over. Cheers Mike

Unfortunately none of the Skyfox aircraft can have their fuel quantities increased, they are all certified from the 21 through to the 25N. Also there isn't the space available in the wing bays as they've all got drag/anti drag braces running through them. The 'foxes (draggers), were really originally built for smallish trips or for people on the land for stock/fence inspection etc., and the Gazelles were primarily built for ab initio pilot training. They were never really intended for long cross country trips although absolutely capable of such albeit sloooowly. I'd love to be able to buy a CA22 one day and totally refurbish it, oh and I'm sure Rob from Coastal Aviation from Sunshine Coast airport could fab. you a carry through tube to specs.

cheers all.

Thanks fox worker, my mate has contacted coastal without success ,last time we talked anyway, and my jigger isn't a Skyfox, although it does bear a resemblance as do the kitfoxes, when I built the outboard fuel tanks I made them to fit around the ribs and drag wire in the fourth bay, it gives me an extra 30 lt which although it's not faster I can get four hours endurance now , I've also got a mate with a Skyfox that built a bigger collector tank and had it approved as an auxiliary ferry tank, although the Skyfox has issues with mods there is provision in the regs for some stuff just as with any certified aircraft ,just depends on how much money your gonna throw at the problem.

Something I'm keen to see is how Coastal will do the spars, I've seen the Kitfox ones and recently had a look at a nude Eurofox wing , the Skyfox spar is by far the strongest in principle , after looking at the Eurofox wing I'm wondering what the future will bring with them, having said that the Kitfox has the claim of never had an inflight breakup, and apart from corrosion issues in the carry though spar I'd say the Skyfox is a stronger airframe,

Matty

• Like 1

Hi Matty, just watched your videos, some great shots and a good glide approach. I,ve got to agree the Fox is a great little aircraft. Ive been flying mine for a while now and love it.

James.

• Agree 2

I used to instruct in that one around the mid 90's from memory, up here in Qld. out of Caloundra aerodrome. It was one of the factory flying school's aircraft, used to be a favourite amongst students because it looked sharp and flew well.

• Winner 1