Happy 70th Birthday

IanR

My Auster has its 70th birthday today - it was delivered to a squadron near the Normandy beaches on 17th June 1944. Its pretty special to be able to fly something that has this kind of history ! It still has not clocked over 2000 hours total time.

1836634_10152267087047973_844446022_o.jpg.59e6bcbe482472d9c552aa80fb3802a1.jpg

• Like 12

Impressive ! Like your rego too it is a very early one !

The rego was originally a pre-war Empire flying boat in the QANTAS fleet. There is a bit of a story but thats why ABA is painted in QANTAS colours

ABA was first registered in Australia in 1951

My Auster has its 70th birthday today - it was delivered to a squadron near the Normandy beaches on 17th June 1944. Its pretty special to be able to fly something that has this kind of history ! It still has not clocked over 2000 hours total time.[ATTACH]30864[/ATTACH]

Fantastic: thanks for sharing Ian R.

Hi Ian

How are you, mate?

Happy birthday wishes to ABA.

My BYM and I BOTH turned 70 this year and we both existed through the last couple of years of the war...how about that?

We are off to the Alice again in August.

Kaz

• Like 2
  • Winner 2

Hi Kaz - going well !! Missed you at the Auster Moth Rally - fantastic location for old aircraft at Luskintyre

I think a large number of the MK4 and MK5 were delivered in 1944 - I have heard that another one will be coming to Camden - it served in the same squadron as mine !

Ian I have seen one under restoration at Caboolture as well. Is that the one coming to Camden? This one had the military all round windows. It was part under reconstruction when I saw it a couple of years ago in the hangar where they are restoring that bomber.

No it's the one that's been for sale for while in the aviation mags. Fully restored. Not sure if the sale has gone through yet though.

The rego was originally a pre-war Empire flying boat in the QANTAS fleet. There is a bit of a story but thats why ABA is painted in QANTAS coloursABA was first registered in Australia in 1951

I note that the original ABA was retired after almost 15,000hrs, better start flying her more often if you hope to catch up.

Kind Regards

Planey

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

No it's the one that's been for sale for while in the aviation mags. Fully restored. Not sure if the sale has gone through yet though.

What is she powered by and how many $? I didn't see the advertisement.

Hi Ian, if that is the aircraft from Vic (VH-MKV) then according to the owner he has withdrawn the aircraft from sale. I had a msg from him last week.

Cheers Mike

That was the one - must have been a recent decision. I was looking forward to having a second one in Camden to do some formation with 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

• 2 years later...

ABA had a "slight" issue with hail a few weekend ago up near Scone. Wings are currently stripped and being recovered. I am taking the opportunity to repaint it in the original RAF colour scheme so will look somewhat different when it flys again early in the new year.

ABA had a "slight" issue with hail a few weekend ago up near Scone. Wings are currently stripped and being recovered. I am taking the opportunity to repaint it in the original RAF colour scheme so will look somewhat different when it flys again early in the new year.

Sorry to hear that, Ian. But I hope the new paint scheme softens the blow.

Were you on the ground when the hail struck?

As up in Bourke then Renmark a few weeks ago and got in some good thermal practice for summer.

Kaz

Sorry to hear that, Ian. But I hope the new paint scheme softens the blow.Were you on the ground when the hail struck?

As up in Bourke then Renmark a few weeks ago and got in some good thermal practice for summer.

Kaz

We were at Middlebrook Station - on the ground. 7 aircraft damaged - mine was probably worst - 22 holes in the wings. Hopefully will be ready for Echuca !

We were at Middlebrook Station - on the ground. 7 aircraft damaged - mine was probably worst - 22 holes in the wings. Hopefully will be ready for Echuca !

Sorry to hear that Ian, very unfortunate. She will look good in her original military colours though. So maybe a good outcome.

Still haven't got my old girl flying, been swamped with a few other distracting issues.

• Like 1