Brumby 600 or Tecnam sierra?

Im looking at either a brumby 600 or tecnam sierra, ive not flown the brumby but it looks good on paper, i have flown the tecnam and really like it, going from a cherokee to the tecnam is like going from a garbage truck to a lamborghini, the only thing with the tecnam is i think they are a bit flimsy and the brumby being solid riveted may be a bit stronger, has anyone flown both? if so whats the brumby performance like? how does it roll? how is in in cross winds? what about the real rate of climb etc? which do you prefer?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im looking at either a brumby 600 or tecnam sierra, ive not flown the brumby but it looks good on paper, i have flown the tecnam and really like it, going from a cherokee to the tecnam is like going from a garbage truck to a lamborghini, the only thing with the tecnam is i think they are a bit flimsy and the brumby being solid riveted may be a bit stronger, has anyone flown both? if so whats the brumby performance like? how does it roll? how is in in cross winds? what about the real rate of climb etc? which do you prefer?

Acro

Can't help you on the Brumby but I cannot fault the Tecnam

I wouldn't consider them flimsy but the certainly aren't a Cessna

Fly them how they are supposed to be flown and land them like any plane without smashing them on and they will last you like anything else

A flight school at Port Agusta has over 3000 hrs on theirs so they can't be that flimsy

Cheers

Alf

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I have a fair bit of time on Tecnam aircraft over various models. I really like them. Having said that and being a ex RAAF aircraft technician , I would go for the Brumby. Two reasons , A - as you have mentioned , built very well and B - Australian made and parts shouldn't be a issue. I haven't flown a brumby but I have read a lot of reports on them and everybody says that they are a well balanced and responsive aircraft .

I love flying Teccies though, you wouldn't be disappointed with either of them.IMO

• Like 1

thanks for the info, with the tecnam, it flies really well but im not sure how it would go in rough turbulence, also the plane i was flying i think is a 2007 model and its already got a bit of corrosion, and you can tell its so much lighter than a GA plane, a ga plane can have patches removed every annual for 50 years but im not sure about these tecnams, and at about 100k its a decent amount to throw away if its only going to last 10-15 years

thanks for the info, with the tecnam, it flies really well but im not sure how it would go in rough turbulence, also the plane i was flying i think is a 2007 model and its already got a bit of corrosion, and you can tell its so much lighter than a GA plane, a ga plane can have patches removed every annual for 50 years but im not sure about these tecnams, and at about 100k its a decent amount to throw away if its only going to last 10-15 years

3000 hrs is 30 years for me as I do average 100 per year

Handles far more turbulence that what my comfort level allows

I'd be happy with either Acro

do you know the ultimate stress for each aircraft? to be honest ive never seen a brumby in person just on the video, but i know it was designed as a GA aircraft then redesigned with a slightly lower mtow

brumby says ultimate loads:

wings: 64 bags of cement

tail: 18 bags of cement

engine mount: 16 bags of cement

can anyone convert that to real numbers? LOL

• Informative 1

brumby says ultimate loads:wings: 64 bags of cement

It'll never get off the ground!

rgmwa

• Haha 4

Where in oz are you? If your considering a tecnam or brumby, they are both larg investments, so the cost of getting to cowra in Nsw isn't much to test fly all models of brumbies and see how they feel in the air.

Also, the tecnams are a well proven reliable and surprisingly solid aircraft, with many now well into the thousands of hours in school environments.

Where in oz are you? If your considering a tecnam or brumby, they are both larg investments, so the cost of getting to cowra in Nsw isn't much to test fly all models of brumbies and see how they feel in the air.Also, the tecnams are a well proven reliable and surprisingly solid aircraft, with many now well into the thousands of hours in school environments.

i tried ringing them yesterday, got no answer

Sierras are certainly great to fly. I've never flown in a Brumby but have looked them over at Natfly. They are not as nicely finished as a Teccie but they look as though they are built tough. By all accounts I've heard they fly great. I have also heard about a few quality control and warranty issues with a couple Brumbies...nothing major though.

The other aircraft at Natfly that I thought looked just as solid and well engineered as a Brumby was the Sling.

• Agree 1

I got a quote on a Brumby and then, after I regained consciousness, pursued other alternatives.

I believe some of the Tecnam's can be ordered with the IO-233 which would be quite nice too......

• Helpful 1

wings: 64 bags of cement

......................................................... Acro - the real number is 97 bags

• Informative 1

I got a quote on a Brumby and then, after I regained consciousness, pursued other alternatives.I believe some of the Tecnam's can be ordered with the IO-233 which would be quite nice too......

Have a look at the Zenith 601xlB very similar numbers to the Brumby , 1/4 the cost

• Like 1

I got a quote on a Brumby and then, after I regained consciousness, pursued other alternatives.I believe some of the Tecnam's can be ordered with the IO-233 which would be quite nice too......

have you seen thecost of a new cessna or piper?

Have a look at the Zenith 601xlB very similar numbers to the Brumby , 1/4 the cost

yeah ive seen them but decided i like keeping the wings on when i fly 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've seen Tecnams dismantled . The later ones may be better. The flap speed is a bit limiting and the nosewheel is castering which makes crosswind taxiing a bit difficult.

The Cowra plane is more substantially constructed, there is no doubt of that but must turn out a bit heavier. I haven't flown one but I believe they fly well according to all reports. Nev

I've seen Tecnams dismantled . The later ones may be better. The flap speed is a bit limiting and the nosewheel is castering which makes crosswind taxiing a bit difficult.The Cowra plane is more substantially constructed, there is no doubt of that but must turn out a bit heavier. I haven't flown one but I believe they fly well according to all reports. Nev

Nose wheel castering ?

I've seen Tecnams dismantled . The later ones may be better. The flap speed is a bit limiting and the nosewheel is castering which makes crosswind taxiing a bit difficult.The Cowra plane is more substantially constructed, there is no doubt of that but must turn out a bit heavier. I haven't flown one but I believe they fly well according to all reports. Nev

Nev

I better remove the steering arms off my rudder pedals to the nose wheel to get the so called castering nose wheel ????

Alf

• Haha 1

Perhaps it is cable and I was just not prepared to put a lot of force on the mechanism. It's been a while. Does it have individual brakes? I tend to be easy on aircraft structures.Nev

Perhaps it is cable and I was just not prepared to put a lot of force on the mechanism. It's been a while. Does it have individual brakes? I tend to be easy on aircraft structures.Nev

Nev

Individual brakes no, central brake handle controlling both mains disks through hydraulic pressure

Alf

• Like 1