Brumby 600 or Tecnam sierra?

It's coming back now. What you say fits my experience. It was lack of weight on the nosewheel that gave the limit to handle the crosswind taxiing, plus I don't like loading up steering mechanisms. All of this has (of necessity) to be kept fairly light. One of the reasons I use the Tailwheel set up , but that's not everyones choice. I get to see quite a bit of structural effects of pupils overloading steering mechanisms on U/L's Nev

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a chap that brought a Brumby 600 and had a lot of quality issues which he had to sort out himself and at the end of the day he was pretty disappointed with the promise of delivery time and the time it actually took. Maybe it was just a case of a new developing model and they were still sorting things out and hopefully they have got their act together as they do look like a nice plane.

have you seen thecost of a new cessna or piper?

If your comparing a Cessna or Piper to a RAA LSA aircraft then you have alot of homework to do.

To be rather crude, a manufacturer can drop a "number 2" on a plate and call it a LSA.

If your comparing a Cessna or Piper to a RAA LSA aircraft then you have alot of homework to do.To be rather crude, a manufacturer can drop a "number 2" on a plate and call it a LSA.

piper sport $170k cessna 162 $170k...tecnam $160k brumby $120k

lus we always pay more for everything in this country

Of 6,000 601xl's sold and 3,000 flying, five world wide crashed. All accidents are usually of more than one cause. Poor building, poor maintenance and poor flying are a deadly combo. After enjoying a lot of good publicity the model took a hit. Anti-Zenith Bloggers got real aggressive and the fence sitters got of the fence in the other direction. Zenith themselves did not management damage very well either. Note that there have been no accident events of that type with this model since the B upgrade was introduced.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Probably the nicest 601 I've seen belongs to a fellow by the name of Rick near Wangaratta. It has a heap of modifications recommended by Peter Furlong of 'Gippsland Aeronautics' (designer of the Airvan and Fatman aircraft). I would have no hesitation flying in that machine. Laurie

I would like to mention that 3 phone messages left with choice of phone numbers and 3 emails with no reply from Brumby over a period of time doesn't help them in my book.

I don't know if Ole at AAK http://www.aircraftkits.com.au/ has anything suitable for you but his standard and service are excellent, always answers the phone and always replies to emails.

• Agree 2

Shows your lack of knowledge of the 601xlB [ That's a B model] The most tested aircraft and now one of the most robust.

calm down i was just joking...although anything i say about a jabiru im very serious about

I would like to mention that 3 phone messages left with choice of phone numbers and 3 emails with no reply from Brumby over a period of time doesn't help them in my book.I don't know if Ole at AAK http://www.aircraftkits.com.au/ has anything suitable for you but his standard and service are excellent, always answers the phone and always replies to emails.

maybe they went belly up, lots of aircraft manufacturers go belly up after only a short run. might try them again next week to. i tried contacting the people selling storm aircraft to > http://www.adroittech.com.au/ no replies

Having flown both aircraft, I can give the following comparison.

Best Cruise speed.... Very similar around 100kts

Best climb performance... Similar, but with a synsnich prop the Brumby is slightly better

Range... Similar

Engine options.... Brumby have 2.. teccie has 1

Handling... The tecnam is a bit skatey on the ground, in the air very nice. Both are similar, although the ailerons in the teccie are heavier then the brumby

Xwinds... The brumby wins hands down.

Strength... Brumby

Comfort... If your not tall, the teccie. If your tall, the brumby.

Over all. I would have to go with the Brumby out of those two choices.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Having flown both aircraft, I can give the following comparison.Best Cruise speed.... Very similar around 100kts

Best climb performance... Similar, but with a synsnich prop the Brumby is slightly better

Range... Similar

Engine options.... Brumby have 2.. teccie has 1

Handling... The tecnam is a bit skatey on the ground, in the air very nice. Both are similar, although the ailerons in the teccie are heavier then the brumby

Xwinds... The brumby wins hands down.

Strength... Brumby

Comfort... If your not tall, the teccie. If your tall, the brumby.

Over all. I would have to go with the Brumby out of those two choices.

thanks

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

May be a bit late with my input here but the Brumby is a really strongly built aircraft. Can I suggest you check out this YouTube video as it goes into how the Brumby's are built:-

• 4 weeks later...

I love my Tecnam Sierra for its user friendliness. Parts are expensive and of course have to come from Italy.

Don't know the Brumby 600 or 610 just had a casual look at them at Natfly a few times. Reputation of manufacturer was tarnished to some extent with the poor customer relations with the 610. Manufacturer is the opposite of the Morgans in that he is highly qualified in Aviation engineering. Terms and has high level CASA approvals.

I liked the Sling quite a lot but have not flown in one. Build quality looked good to me and was commented on very favourably to me by somebody who really knows what a well built aircraft looks like. Value for money looks rally good. Serviceability looks great with an excellent engine bay layout.

I also like the BRM Bristell a great deal Sort of the Mercedes Benz of LSA aircraft. Beautifully finished and a delight to fly. Not cheap but not cheaply made either.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

piper sport $170k cessna 162 $170k...tecnam $160k brumby $120kalas we always pay more for everything in this country

Well, will be interesting with Brumby making major components in China now as to how much of a price reduction will follow.

china? where did you hear that? I know nanchangs are solid but i wouldnt touch any other chinese built aircraft

Oh I was chatting to Paul and Ross just the other day and they mentioned it.

I think you had better stop flying (and driving) altogether then mate because there are exceptions but not much anymore doesn't have some Chinese content somewhere down the line.

Also stop using your computer, sitting in your chair, turn your lights off, hell maybe even with the right winds and currents some of the air you breathe comes from China, I think you're in big trouble.

• Haha 1

chinese have been known to forge metal certificates, material specs on buildings, trains, planes killing thousands...oh and yeah some woman died the other day from a chinese usb charger...all chinese stuff these days is pure crap and i do pay extra to avoid it

• Haha 1

chinese have been known to forge metal certificates, material specs on buildings, trains, planes killing thousands...oh and yeah some woman died the other day from a chinese usb charger...all chinese stuff these days is pure crap and i do pay extra to avoid it

Yeah, I'm stepping over the bodies everyday, someone ought to clean up the mess! 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Agro, you know the "nam" part of "Tecnam" is there because of the high percentage of parts supplied from a certain country don't you? 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

There is NO avoidance in the modern world. It is a fact of life. China is the manufacturer of the world.....

• Agree 1