Headsets

Hi All

Have been thinking about buying my own headsets and came across the Clarity Aloft Product www.clarityaloft.com

Just wondering if any body has any experience with them etc.

I tend to get sweaty and sore ears with the standard type headsets in the jabs that I usually fly due to having to wear glasses.

Willing to look at all options but would like to only buy once and happy to pay for a quality product that makes it more comfortable and with quality sound etc

Regards

Stewy

Have a look at Vansairforce forums. There was talk about them some time ago and also details about how to make your own. You should be able to do a search and find plenty of info.

Looked at the pricing of the clarity aloft sets, and can't for the life of me justify over $600 for a piece of wire, mic and a couple of in ear speakers with a bit of foam around them. Must cost them 25 bucks to build.

Compare prices to a good quality sennheiser, bose etc and mad not to pay a bit extra............

Stewy, have you tried adding gel earpads to your headset, I wear glasses and they have been a lifesaver for me. I run David Clarks standard headset bought second hand and have used them for 7 years. Initially had the classes problem but fitted the gel earpieces and Voila...no more sore head/ears. Also add a softer pad that sits on your head. Noise cancelling sound good but I like to hear what the engine is doing, and the noise level (in Xair with a 2 stroke just in front of me) is not excessive.

• Agree 1

Thanks for the replies

Yes dlegg, the Clarity Aloft do seem expensive for what they are hence asking the questions here. If I am going to go that way I would just like to make sure they are worth the money. Have seen the Quiet technologies one advertised to Dazza and they could well be as good just haven't any of them in my ear etc to be able to try them.

No I haven't tried the Gel ear pads robinsm as I have always just used the Headsets from the plane that I hire but have now purchased my own and would like to try and get something that is more comfortable. I am not concerned whether that be bud type or Bose, David Clark or any other brand just want the most comfortable. Just want buy once and get the right one.

Regards

Stewy

i've got the quiet technologies halo one mentioned above and i love it... the only downside i can find is it is a little bit slower getting on. A bit fiddlier then a headset

• Caution 1

I use the David Clark DCProX which i purchased in the USA for $637.

Very light and excellent performance with the usual David Clark support and Warranty.

No compaints.

Spend the money on a good quality aviation headset. Once you lose your hearing, you will never get it back.

Seen more than one person have major medical and licence problems due to hearing loss caused by long term noise exposure.

• Agree 1

Gel pads and soft cloth covers fix most problems

As for noise cancellation, it actually increases what you can hear from the engine dept. Cuts out exhaust drone so mechanical noises clearer I find

• Agree 2

Gel pads and soft cloth covers fix most problems.As for noise cancellation, it actually increases what you can hear from the engine dept. Cuts out exhaust drone so mechanical noises clearer I find

Interesting jetjr re increasing what you can hear from the engine. I was considering upgrading to ANR but was concerned about this so will now reassess.

Interesting jetjr re increasing what you can hear from the engine. I was considering upgrading to ANR but was concerned about this so will now reassess.

It doesn't make the engine sound "noisier". It changes the balance of which sounds can be heard, while reducing all continuous noise substantially.

The ANR can obviously only cancel noise frequencies which already exist on a fairly continuous level. Good ANR headsets do this extremely well. I guess (?) what he is saying is that if a more irregular or uncommon noise occurs in your engine, this will be more distinguishable from the attenuated background noise.

In any generally loud aircraft (which is almost all light aircraft) ANR is better for your hearing, and better for being able to have a comfortable radio/intercom level set, period.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...